Photography Discrimination Trend?

These so called photographers, are obviously not "professional"
If someone doesn't want your business, who cares move on to someone that does! Their loss. Don't even waste your time thinking about them. Take your cash and give it to someone who will appreciate your business!
Maybe some Photographers are more interested to the subject than making out money, Let's just say.... MEGAN FOX Would pay like 10 grand for a Photoshoot.. and there is this Fat ugly Woman who'll pay 30grand.. which one would you prefer? (Sorry Horny Guys )
Some of them probably use it in their portfolio and the more "in shape" women are more pleasing to the eye. Originally Posted by Shayla
LOL!
Those guys are known as a GWC... (Guy with camera.) They are not anywhere near professional just looking for hot photos for their private collection. ..BD
Being an older woman and curvy myself, I have found it hard to find someone who knows how to take pictures of me or women like myself.

I don't want to HIDE my "flaws", but then I do not them accented. Big difference. Like making me or my belly look bigger - camera can add weight if you don't know what you are doing (type of lens, angles, etc.).

There are actually people who love to see women who are larger, curvy, thick, or what ever you want to call it. I want to celebrate this through beautiful pictures.

So, I decided to take up photography myself and still very much in the beginning stages (between work and school - it will be about a year or two before I feel comfortable with a photo shoot).
Those guys are known as a GWC... (Guy with camera.) They are not anywhere near professional just looking for hot photos for their private collection. ..BD Originally Posted by ben dover
or the GWC claiming that they are professionals and wanting to exchange session for photos. When you ask to see their website or pressing them for their professional information - you find that they are just a Guy With Camera.

BUT, I do have GWC who are helpful and don't expect to trade a session for photos. They just want to do it to help.
"Professional" is an adjective that is pretty loosely thrown around, to the IRS, if you take anything of value for the service you are a "professional", if I remember right the PPoA definition is "deriving more than 50% of total income from photography". And many, many people use the word "Professional" as an indication of "quality" which is just plain dumb.

The fellow's ad is in another part of the forum, he is charging, though I think the earlier ad specifying body type was TFP. I like some of his work, but not all, it's a subjective, style thing.

While I don't know what else he does for a living he does get paid so, I think it's incorrect to call him "Unprofessional".

I think it's fair to say his marketing approach is controversial, maybe dumb, maybe not. There is a lot of "snob appeal" in photography and this angle might actually attract some clients. My guess is it alienates far more than it entices, but it's his business, not mine.

I think ladies should look at photos of similarly built ladies and ask where they had them done, or at least find poses and lighting that flatters others of their body type and instruct the photographer accordingly. I read somewhere that Marlene Dietrich always specified where the lights would be before she posed.

If you don't take control of your image, someone else always will.
  • Leta
  • 12-23-2011, 08:42 AM
Those guys are known as a GWC... (Guy with camera.) They are not anywhere near professional just looking for hot photos for their private collection. ..BD Originally Posted by ben dover
My thoughts exactly.
I am a little perplexed at some of the answers here, especially from some of the Ladies.

"He doesn't know how to photograph me and leave out all of the bad shit". I know that is paraphrasing, but it seems to be what some of the Ladies are saying.

Well, when the client walks in the room, and he discovers that the Photographer took out all of the "bad shit", where are you left then? A disgruntled Hobbyist who will probably write a review stating that very fact.

Then the real "bad shit" starts.
They are only in it to shoot the "pretty girls" the "guy with camera". The camera is an excuse to get the pretty girls.. all women deserve good photos, you dont have to be super pretty to have nice photos nor a perfect body. A real pro will pose and light what suits their body type best to get the best photos they can.

Its unprofessional IMO. If you advertise as a professional it doesnt matter what one looks like its a job you are paid for.

Now if its for trade or just for fun then by all means shoot what you want, this is where selective should come in. Originally Posted by LynnT
GWC(Guy W/Camera) for sure and has their own agenda first. Probably not even a professional....
I am a little perplexed at some of the answers here, especially from some of the Ladies.

"He doesn't know how to photograph me and leave out all of the bad shit". I know that is paraphrasing, but it seems to be what some of the Ladies are saying.

Well, when the client walks in the room, and he discovers that the Photographer took out all of the "bad shit", where are you left then? A disgruntled Hobbyist who will probably write a review stating that very fact.

Then the real "bad shit" starts. Originally Posted by Jackie S
I understand what you're saying but it's all about the pose, the light, the angles. A good photographer can shoot just about anyone and get some real nice shots. I'm not talking about hiding anything or editing for hours. Just getting the best for that model. I've seen some beautiful young slim models have some awful photos. Just give me a model that's comfortable in her body and we'll have some awesome photos. BD
Sounds like a photographer not in it for the money.

Move on to someone more concerned with putting out good work and getting paid, than body image.
  • Rigin
  • 12-23-2011, 07:38 PM
I'm a little confused by some of the responses. He/they are a service provider it seems to me they can decide to provide their service to whom ever they choose based on whatever criteria they choose for whatever reason they decide. I would think in this community most would understand that. Just my opinion.
  • Old-T
  • 12-23-2011, 09:44 PM
I'm a little confused by some of the responses. He/they are a service provider it seems to me they can decide to provide their service to whom ever they choose based on whatever criteria they choose for whatever reason they decide. I would think in this community most would understand that. Just my opinion. Originally Posted by Rigin
I have essentially thought about exactly that point since the beginning of the thread.

For people on either side of the argument, how is the photographer's desire to limit their clientel different from a lady having a NBA policy? Or is it the same?

My first reaction was "No, it's not the same thing", but the longer this thread goes and the more I think about it, the more difficulty I am having in my mind.

I really do not want to turn this into the NBA thread moved, but focusing on the photographer's position, has this thread caused you to change/reconsider your POV?

Just curious.