Tulsi and ISKCON

Who are we to judge?

This is America, right? Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
I'm not judging. I find it an interesting dynamic in how her faith will play out in the political campaign as well as how her devotion to the Gita affects her philosophy, especially as she is a combat veteran.

Respectfully, check your history.

"Examples of worldly gods are Brahma, Indra, Vishnu, and Shiva, along with all of the other less familiar Hindu characters. "

As in Christianity , there are many different strains of Buddhism.

https://tricycle.org/trikedaily/hima...tric-buddhism/

Originally Posted by Joey_Gleet
ok, I get that I am wrong on buddhism. it is indeed a pagan religion. I was not aware of its background.

however, it may have taken some influence from the Hindu religion. Buddhism first appeared in the 8th Century.

hindu is something like 10-12,000 years old.
ok, I get that I am wrong on buddhism. it is indeed a pagan religion. I was not aware of its background.

however, it may have taken some influence from the Hindu religion. Buddhism first appeared in the 8th Century.

hindu is something like 10-12,000 years old. Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm
pa·gan
/ˈpāɡən/
noun
a person holding religious beliefs other than those of the main world religions.
synonyms: heathen, infidel, idolater/idolatress, atheist, nontheist, irreligious person, agnostic, sceptic, heretic, apostate; archaicpaynim
"in prehistoric times, pagans used to worship the sun gods"

As Buddhism is a mainstream religion, according to this definition, they are not Pagan.

Anyway, the original topic is related to how Americans broadly would accept her faith.

If you take some of her videos and substitute ' Jesus' for 'Krishna', I wonder how many of her progressive followers would reject her.
  • oeb11
  • 09-09-2019, 01:19 PM
Anti-Christianity is a litmus test for Progressives.
Anti-Christianity is a litmus test for Progressives. Originally Posted by oeb11
But, Tulsi , as with Hindus generally, is not anti-Christian. They're just egalitarian when it comes to different ideas regarding that which is beyond intellect.

It's more that strictly monotheist religions such as Islam and Christianity claim a monopoly on the infinite and have historically been very willing to do rather nasty things to those who disagree, especially in regard to those who are nominally of the same faith while holding different theological viewpoints.

Filioque anyone ?
pa·gan
/ˈpāɡən/
noun
a person holding religious beliefs other than those of the main world religions.
synonyms: heathen, infidel, idolater/idolatress, atheist, nontheist, irreligious person, agnostic, sceptic, heretic, apostate; archaicpaynim
"in prehistoric times, pagans used to worship the sun gods"

As Buddhism is a mainstream religion, according to this definition, they are not Pagan.

Anyway, the original topic is related to how Americans broadly would accept her faith.

If you take some of her videos and substitute ' Jesus' for 'Krishna', I wonder how many of her progressive followers would reject her. Originally Posted by Joey_Gleet

buddhism has many gods in their lore. so they are pagan. they may not be worshiped to the extent the Hindus do.
buddhism has many gods in their lore. so they are pagan. they may not be worshiped to the extent the Hindus do. Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm
Christianity has three Gods. Is it Pagan ?

And Hinduism actually believes there is one Supreme Truth that manifests in many forms.

https://hinduperspective.com/2013/02...e-god-or-many/
Christianity has three Gods. Is it Pagan ? Originally Posted by Joey_Gleet
some do think that, but i don't.