Early Voting

After having to wait in line with all the idiots voting for hope & change in '08 I'm all about absentee ballot voting. Fill it out, drop in the mail & your done. Originally Posted by atlcomedy
I do it pretty regularly since I can never predict when I'll be home. But the mail sucks the big one. I wish we could do internet voting. I know, I know, it's "not secure." That's just an excuse. If companies like Wal-Mart let their shareholders vote over the 'net, I gotta believe they've got a lock on security.
If its Nancey's donkey's why don't you stay home and have a beer. Nobody will mind. Originally Posted by pjorourke
While I appreciate the offer, I prefer to drink while I vote! It makes the latter seem much more tolerable & the former seem not quite so pointless.

Or, is the other way around...
I do it pretty regularly since I can never predict when I'll be home. But the mail sucks the big one. I wish we could do internet voting. I know, I know, it's "not secure." That's just an excuse. If companies like Wal-Mart let their shareholders vote over the 'net, I gotta believe they've got a lock on security. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
Hell Internet based voting would probably be better for turn out, but I don't think a larger turnout would be good for the country.No representation without taxation.
Be very careful what's on your ballot before you cast your vote, fraud seems to be rising.

Harry Reed already checked on the ballot?
Man voted straight-party Repub and gets all Dem?
SEIU gets electronic voting machine technician contract?
Absentee voting is convenient and works so long as the U.S. Postal Service delivers everything on time and to the proper place. Not guaranteed where I live.
Oh, and we've already had our first scandal with absentee ballots going to the wrong places - and also late. About a 100 folks won't get their ballots and will have to stand in line and fill out provisionals. And that's another story. Last election many provisionals were found to have been thrown out incorrectly.
There is a lot to be desired from electronic voting machines. The QA done on the software is pathetic - it pales compared to how thoroughly new slot machines are tested. Biased towards one party or other? A whole bunch of stuff out there on Democrats getting shafted and a whole bunch of Republicans getting shafted. Bad software is bad software it doesn't discriminate.
Be very careful what's on your ballot before you cast your vote, fraud seems to be rising.

Harry Reed already checked on the ballot?
Man voted straight-party Repub and gets all Dem?
SEIU gets electronic voting machine technician contract? Originally Posted by DFW5Traveler
Oh, are we concerned we're voting in Jim Wells County???

Absentee voting is convenient and works so long as the U.S. Postal Service delivers everything on time and to the proper place. Not guaranteed where I live. Originally Posted by John Bull
Not just USPS. I filed my App for a mail in ballot, and got it 19+ days later. Seems the voting office takes its own sweet time. For people like me, 'net voting would be ideal. I'm a registered voter. Send me a secure website and a unique user ID and password & let me vote.
Not just USPS. I filed my App for a mail in ballot, and got it 19+ days later. Seems the voting office takes its own sweet time. For people like me, 'net voting would be ideal. I'm a registered voter. Send me a secure website and a unique user ID and password & let me vote. By Charles of Tudor
If they can't get the software and procedures correct now; can you imagine the mess they'd make of Internet voting.
In a perfect world, I'd agree with you Charles.
There is a lot to be desired from electronic voting machines. The QA done on the software is pathetic - it pales compared to how thoroughly new slot machines are tested. Biased towards one party or other? A whole bunch of stuff out there on Democrats getting shafted and a whole bunch of Republicans getting shafted. Bad software is bad software it doesn't discriminate. Originally Posted by discreetgent
Google (one of those love/hate words) Diebold and voting machines. It ain't pretty.
Or read Avi Rubin's blog:
http://avi-rubin.blogspot.com/
specifically:
http://avi-rubin.blogspot.com/2008/1...-at-polls.html
and
http://avi-rubin.blogspot.com/2008/0...gerous-in.html
I do it pretty regularly since I can never predict when I'll be home. But the mail sucks the big one. I wish we could do internet voting. I know, I know, it's "not secure." That's just an excuse. If companies like Wal-Mart let their shareholders vote over the 'net, I gotta believe they've got a lock on security. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
Then we would end up providing free computers and internet connections for everyone.
There is a lot to be desired from electronic voting machines. The QA done on the software is pathetic - it pales compared to how thoroughly new slot machines are tested. Biased towards one party or other? A whole bunch of stuff out there on Democrats getting shafted and a whole bunch of Republicans getting shafted. Bad software is bad software it doesn't discriminate. Originally Posted by discreetgent
As evidenced by all the trouble they are having letting our military vote. Of course, that exercise would be a LOT simpler if they just focused on the House and statewide races instead of getting every pissant position on their ballot -- most of which they don't have a clue who to vote for. I think there is a Constitutional prohibition against using common sense.
Look out! There's commie under every bed! Run, run, run, Spot, run!
Then we would end up providing free computers and internet connections for everyone. Originally Posted by pjorourke
I think we could avoid that, but I see your point (reference TV conversion to Digital).

If we ended up giving a bunch of money to public libraries so those without internet access could go to the library and vote.

Those unable/willing to go to a public place and vote online can vote by mail. As for fraud, lost ballots, there is no reason your ballot can't be tracked in a cost efficient manner. I tracked as USPS package just today and the tracking number was 22 (yes 22) digits

As evidenced by all the trouble they are having letting our military vote. Of course, that exercise would be a LOT simpler if they just focused on the House and statewide races instead of getting every pissant position on their ballot -- most of which they don't have a clue who to vote for. I think there is a Constitutional prohibition against using common sense. Originally Posted by pjorourke
That's horrible thinking. The most important races are the local ones. Your sherriff, city councilman, school board president etc. will have a much bigger impact on you life than your US Senator
The most important races are the local ones. Your sherriff, city councilman, school board president etc. will have a much bigger impact on you life than your US Senator Originally Posted by atlcomedy
I agree. I've always contended that the county judge has a greater effect on the community than the Supreme Court.
I voted Saturday morning with a steady flow of voters in a Denton County polling place Originally Posted by DFW5Traveler
Oh, are we concerned we're voting in Jim Wells County??? Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
Did you miss something?