Donald Sterling Banned From NBA......Totally

What, so it's okay to "force" the sale of one's own business? It seems like you are the one who does not understand. Sterling was intentionally recorded without his consent BCD. According to the law... Sterling should be innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Since when does the "mob/sheep/media" become a court of law? That only happens in Amerika right? Perhaps in the Kangaroo Courts.
Between the clueless and senile Sterling, and the extraordinarily thin-skinned millionaires who are (supposedly) adept at playing thugball, this seems to be a dispute involving absolutely no one who has anything in common with me, and there's no way in this universe that I could care any less about it. I am curious, though: Mr. Clueless and Senile is banned from the NBA for life, and fined $2.5M by the NBA. And it does seem clear that he'll be "encouraged" to sell his ownership interest. If I were him, I think my plan would be to sell, to accept my lifetime ban, and to pay not the first dirty cent of the "fine." What the hell could they do to him? Ban him twice?

Again, a dispute between knuckleheads.
  • CJ7
  • 04-30-2014, 12:02 PM
think about it ... the league is making a white guy sell 15 black guys for $600 Million

talk about ironic
You don't understand. This has little to do with what he said and where it was just a easy way to do what they have wanted to do for a while but David Stern never had the balls to do it Originally Posted by BigLouie
Correct. Get Magic Johnson an NBA Franchise.
There are a lot of irrelevant statements made above.

This doesn't involve government action. The government isn't fining Sterling or forcing him to sell.

He is in a voluntary business association with 31 other teams. If the other teams think he is damaging their "brand' - the NBA - then they are perfectly within their rights NOT to work with him any more. They can kick him out of the league and replace his team with another one.

But I do think the NBA has laid a trap for itself. The standard has now been set. Bigoted statements get you banned for life.

So what happens when - INEVITABLY - a player gets caught saying bigoted things? Especially a superstar like LeBron or Kobe or Duncan or Nowitsky?

If bigoted statements damage the NBA brand and merit expulsion, it doesn't really matter whether it is a player or an owner who says it.

And the most likely scenario, in my opinion, will be gay-bashing statements.

What happens if Carmelo Anthony or Kevin Durant goes on a homophobic rant and one of his homies or one of his sugar babies records it and posts it on YouTube?

Will the NBA ban him for life?

If they don't, what kind of politically correct shit storm will erupt as the NBA makes it clear that gay bashing isn't as serious as racism.
"he didn't hurt any one"....are you serious....or do you just not get it...
as an owner he is bound by the league rules and code of conduct....he can say what he wants and he is still accountable to the league for what he said....and if it violates league rules or code of conduct he suffers the consequences....
if you read the first amendment it say the government shall not...the government isn't involved in this....it's private citizens....
it would be the same if you worked for a company and violated their rules....you're free to speak and the owner is free to fire you for violating company rules policy,,,....
Total bullshit let the MAN SAY WHAT HE WANTS IF WE ARE TRULY FREE TO SPEAK HERE HE DIDNT HURT ANYONE!

I agree with the last post above

CPT SAVAJO- blacks will be one of the most disadvantaged groups and will suffer the most in U.S. society Originally Posted by Annika
There are a lot of irrelevant statements made above.

This doesn't involve government action. The government isn't fining Sterling or forcing him to sell.

He is in a voluntary business association with 31 other teams. If the other teams think he is damaging their "brand' - the NBA - then they are perfectly within their rights NOT to work with him any more. They can kick him out of the league and replace his team with another one.

But I do think the NBA has laid a trap for itself. The standard has now been set. Bigoted statements get you banned for life.

So what happens when - INEVITABLY - a player gets caught saying bigoted things? Especially a superstar like LeBron or Kobe or Duncan or Nowitsky?

If bigoted statements damage the NBA brand and merit expulsion, it doesn't really matter whether it is a player or an owner who says it.

And the most likely scenario, in my opinion, will be gay-bashing statements.

What happens if Carmelo Anthony or Kevin Durant goes on a homophobic rant and one of his homies or one of his sugar babies records it and posts it on YouTube?

Will the NBA ban him for life?

If they don't, what kind of politically correct shit storm will erupt as the NBA makes it clear that gay bashing isn't as serious as racism. Originally Posted by ExNYer
With all due respect, ExNYer, they won't do shit.
Charles Barkley said it best. "The NBA is a Black Man's league"
think about it ... the league is making a white guy sell 15 black guys for $600 Million... Originally Posted by CJ7
If they can make Mr. Sterling sell out, they can't make Ms. Sterling.

She hasn't violated the owner's contract.
The NBA constitution is a private document; no one in this forum knows what the details of that document are. It has never been made public.

To opine about what rights (administrative options) Sterling may or may not have is complete bullshit. We will have to wait and see how this plays out. Once the lawyers from both sides get ramped up; then this can easily be a drawn out battle...

The other owners will not want to push Sterling to hard; otherwise he can come back at them for financial harm.

Will the NBA ban him for life? Originally Posted by ExNYer

The players have the protection of the players union behind them.

So any idiot thing that a player gets involved in would always have the backing and support of the union.

It's doubtful that a player would ever get a lifetime ban.

Hell, Ron Artest & Rasheed Wallace were beating up fans in that infamous Pacers/Pistons game ....Artest got suspended for the rest of the year ...Wallace I think got 50 games, or something like that.
think about it ... the league is making a white guy sell 15 black guys for $600 Million

talk about ironic Originally Posted by CJ7
LOL that's funny.

talk about ironic Originally Posted by CJ7
That sounds like a modern day slave trade. I think the NBA should institute Affirmative Action in the NBA and bring the ratio of black players to white players on an even keel, as a means to stamp out racism in the NBA.
This guy is a real piece of work. Was reading today how he once installed one if his 'hoes as assist GM. No wonder the team was so bad for so long.
This guy is a real piece of work. Was reading today how he once installed one if his 'hoes as assist GM. No wonder the team was so bad for so long. Originally Posted by BigLouie
Well that explains the Olowokandi pick then.