Film thread

Crash was a Cronenberg best. Have yomyu seen Videodrome?

Spader is a very interesting actor... I'll come back to that later! Originally Posted by Nineveh
Wow, I thought I was the only person out there who even saw Crash. I love James Spader I think I have seen most if not all of his movies, but Secretary will always be my favorite.I could not imagine anyone else is that role.It really was made for Spader.The chemistry between him and Gyllenhaal is so hot.Secretary has to be the only movie that made it into the mainstream with an S&M theme that did not sell out.
For Bret Easton Ellis adaptations, Less Than Zero always stands out more for me. Downey and Spader are brilliant in their roles. Originally Posted by Nineveh
Ah yes "Less than Zero" loved that too...but I think Spader is a very versatile actor. You never know which way he is going to lean until he leans Originally Posted by Camille
Another vote for Less Than Zero here. It still stops me mid-channel-flip when I stumble across it. The odd part for me is I really don't consider it all that great a movie... just damn compelling somehow. Given the way Downey's life went afterward perhaps he was so damn terrific because he wasn't acting

Also a fan of almost all of Spader's work. Two Days in the Valley is another movie I don't consider all that great but will never pass up just to check out his work.
Wow, I thought I was the only person out there who even saw Crash. I love James Spader I think I have seen most if not all of his movies, but Secretary will always be my favorite.I could not imagine anyone else is that role.It really was made for Spader.The chemistry between him and Gyllenhaal is so hot.Secretary has to be the only movie that made it into the mainstream with an S&M theme that did not sell out. Originally Posted by Becky
Crash? Me too! I've only met a handful of people who have seen it. I remember renting it on Video 'back in the day'. Funny story about that one: I watched with a friend late in the evening, we finished it and turned on the local channel only to find another famous crash happening in Paris. Yep, Princess Diana was all over the news that night, ironic eh?

Great movie, I usually will ask film buffs (which I am not) if they have seen it.

MY vote: North by Northwest...classic!
MY vote: North by Northwest...classic! Originally Posted by Nicole Preston
That movie is such a fun ride. Hitchcock and Cary Grant are two of my favorites and when you put them together (4 times), it's cinematic gold.

Though, Film-Noir does have apiece of my heart as well: Double Indemnity, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil...
  • WTF
  • 01-26-2010, 08:22 AM
Also a fan of almost all of Spader's work. Two Days in the Valley is another movie I don't consider all that great but will never pass up just to check out his work. Originally Posted by Sisyphus
I love that movie! Though I'm indifferent to Spader, he does seem to have a fan base in this forum.

Check out the all-star cast from that movie. Yes I will provide a link. Suprise , suprise.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115438/

Anyone seen the new Jeff Bridge's movie?

Crash? I watched with a friend late in the evening, we finished it and turned on the local channel only to find another famous crash happening in Paris. Yep, Princess Diana was all over the news that night, ironic eh?

! Originally Posted by Nicole Preston
You should have rented Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
Speaking of James Spader, White Palace had one of the hottest blow job scenes ever.
I love that movie! Though I'm indifferent to Spader, he does seem to have a fan base in this forum.

Check out the all-star cast from that movie. Yes I will provide a link. Suprise , suprise.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115438/ Originally Posted by WTF
The cast was full of people I like which...ironically...may be why I can seem to elevate it from pretty-damn-good to great in my own mind. Somehow, the sum was less than the whole of the parts for me.

I do like it & will watch it whenever I stumble across it. I just don't own it nor is is "appointment viewing" for me when one of the movie channels is running it.
For "little films with a mood":

Tender Mercies
Lone Star
Miller's Crossing
Fargo

and almost anything else by the Coen brothers
Speaking of James Spader, White Palace had one of the hottest blow job scenes ever. Originally Posted by Nicolette Bordeauxva
Oh yes I remember it well
I havent seen videodrome no...should I see it? Originally Posted by Camille
YES, see Videodrome.
http://www.amazon.com/Videodrome-Jam.../dp/0783228457
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYucU765-M8"]YouTube- Videodrome Trailer (1983)[/ame]
"Of course, "O'Blivion" was not the name I was born with. That's my television name. Soon, all of us will have special names — names designed to cause the cathode ray tube to resonate."

Any see Ghajini? A India remake of Memento. I really liked it but then I saw it in a packed theater full of Bollywood lovers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghajini_(2008_film) Originally Posted by WTF
OOooh, no but I will see it soon, now. Thank you.

Wow, I thought I was the only person out there who even saw Crash. I love James Spader I think I have seen most if not all of his movies, but Secretary will always be my favorite.I could not imagine anyone else is that role.It really was made for Spader.The chemistry between him and Gyllenhaal is so hot.Secretary has to be the only movie that made it into the mainstream with an S&M theme that did not sell out. Originally Posted by Becky
His memorable roles are triggers: in Secretary and Crash, the themes are relatable but rarely explored and that urges identification. Becky, I am so glad that the marketed S&M theme didn't "take over" Secretary; the psychological interaction is sooo hot and methinks would have been lost if draped in leather and chains lol.

That Spader manages to balance some of the depths of his roles with sensual ease is its own sort of elegance, and one I'm sure others relate to('specially in the 'monde).

Another vote for Less Than Zero here. It still stops me mid-channel-flip when I stumble across it. The odd part for me is I really don't consider it all that great a movie... just damn compelling somehow. Given the way Downey's life went afterward perhaps he was so damn terrific because he wasn't acting Originally Posted by Sisyphus
The best acting is personal. Downey and Spader made the movie-otherwise, its just an 80's vanity flick!
There are so many films that we could all recommend that I don't know where I'd start. I tend to watch for specific reasons, depending on what I need at the time. At the moment I'm chasing character studies and playing with structure issue or fresh takes on the biblical 3 act structure. Originally Posted by Camille
Don't know how lesser known some of these are, and I view these things through acting, so I presume structure issues for a screenwriter would be the equivalent of embracing and working with odd structuring as an actor?

12 O'Clock High
Twin Peaks-structure
House of Yes
Gentleman's Agreement
Girl, Interrupted
The Ruling Class
The Glass Menagerie, Paul Newmans version
The Rope
Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
Repulsion-structure
Chinatown
Eyes of Laura Mars-structure
The Lion in Winter
Vertigo
Dog Day Afternoon
The Man with the Golden Arm-structure
American History X
The Graduate
Malcolm X

The cook, the thief, his wife, and her lover! Lol.
American History X...good one. Edward Norton can do no wrong in my book.
Saw Crash and wasn't wild about it.

Saw the all the ones below and excellent every one of them

Don't know how lesser known some of these are, and I view these things through acting, so I presume structure issues for a screenwriter would be the equivalent of embracing and working with odd structuring as an actor?

12 O'Clock High
Gentleman's Agreement
The Glass Menagerie, Paul Newmans version
Chinatown
Eyes of Laura Mars-structure
The Lion in Winter
Vertigo
Dog Day Afternoon
The Graduate Originally Posted by Nineveh

His memorable roles are triggers: in Secretary and Crash, the themes are relatable but rarely explored and that urges identification. Becky, I am so glad that the marketed S&M theme didn't "take over" Secretary; the psychological interaction is sooo hot and methinks would have been lost if draped in leather and chains lol.
Originally Posted by Nineveh
That is what made Secretary a favorite of mine.They did not make the people into caricatures. The BDSM scenes were kept real , but pretty tame . They were part of the story, and not just put there to entertain, or shock the audiance.

You are right it is the psychological interaction between the two actors that makes that movie so sexy. My favorite scene is when he is telling her that she can no longer cut herself.The scene has no sex, or S&M in it at all , but it is such a powerful part of the movie that everytime I watch it I get so turned on.

Sunset Boulevard is also a great movie that has not been mentioned yet.Also Of human bodage ( The Betty Davis version)is ancient , but a true classic. Especially if you are like me , and do not have enough patience to read the two thousand page book.
I saw Crash (2004)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEQ_ftkpb18"]YouTube- crash trailer[/ame]

But, I have never seen Crash (1996)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZTYkmAcsvk"]YouTube- Crash (1996) - Trailer[/ame]