Major allergy problems, no insurance

Zyrtec works best for me! Hope you feel better soon. Originally Posted by shelby
If you take it as recommended - just before bedtime - it works ok. The reason you dose at night rather than in the morning is because of the strong sedative effects. When I took it I'd still wake up groggy, and most of the morning I'd be in a bit of a fog. If you take it during waking hours and don't feel the sedative effects, you are a rare breed!

I can take fexofenadine in the morning - no sedation, and I get the benefit of having the highest serum level when I'm active.
No need to be a rat's ass about somebody maybe a little more qualified than you offering advice. I get that you're skeptical of modern pharmaceutical technology. For you I would prescribe a neti pot and some very hungry leeches. Originally Posted by mastermind238
So, what are your qualifications, or is it simply, "I'm more qualified than you, neener, neener, neener?"
  • tron
  • 02-16-2011, 05:45 PM
Flonase or Fluticasone is very good also.

As for having no insurance, imagine if Gabrielle Giffords didn't have insurance. But that should be another thread.
It is a vitamin supplement to get technical. I just try to avoid doctors and even some of the over the counter drugs if I can. I also recommend getting a Jack La Lane Juicer it does wonders for your health.

I sure as shit am not gonna eat tree bark! It has been known that drinking a lot of fluids and working out can get rid of headaches. I still keep aspirin and Ibuprofen in the house.
So, what are your qualifications, or is it simply, "I'm more qualified than you, neener, neener, neener?" Originally Posted by GneissGuy
A Ph.D. in organic chemistry, 35 years as a senior research scientist in the chemical/pharmaceutical/biopharmaceutical industry. And a long-time user of allergy/asthma medications, and reader of scientific literature on same.
I sure as shit am not gonna eat tree bark! Originally Posted by Wyldeman30
C'mon, man! You don't have to eat it. You just chew it a while and swallow the juices! You spit out the cud when the headache is gone.
just wondering, but would you be able to afford chemo or all the other expensive cancer tests with a modest budget?

this is a topic I find really interesting, but know so little about. I'm trying to figure out the best course of action for myself. I wouldn't mind going without insurance as I'm not a total slob, also because I've been dicked over by my crappy primary physician many a times so I'm always looking for the best direction.

So curious how one affords it on their own. Also you mention Germany, Japan, etc...but don't they have socialized healthcare? I'm pretty sure Germany does at least. Originally Posted by NewWave
Most "chemo" regimes are not worth paying for anyway.

I had a friend that got his insurance to pay for a new cancer drug with a pricetag of $30k per month. It didn't work and he died anyway.

The few chemo drugs that do work are worth every penny, and I'd have to find the money somewhere if I didn't already have it.

Not having insurance has it's risks, and I wish I didn't have to prefer it. However in this country [as opposed to Germany, Japan, etc.] the medical profession is expected to invent remedies for every conceivable problem. The expense of this approach has created too many expensive remedies for conditions which are probably not that serious. This combines with the fraud in the pharma industry and massive corruption at the FDA to produce a lot of expensive drugs which don't even work at all but are now part of every MD's standard practice guidelines.

There has to be some kind of rationing one way or another. Not having coverage is one form of rationing.

Ideally I think everyone should have hosptialization coverage, like my family's corporate benefits provided in the 1970s. But because of our system even that is unafforable.

All this got out of control with the "preventive care" movement in the 1970s, which sold us that we could save money by going in for massive screenings and check-ups and early intervention when anything at all bothers you.

This approach turned out to be a massive disaster.

It's better to wait until you have symptoms, and then intervene.

Trying to head off every conceivable illness through constant monitoring of an otherwise healthy person [health 'maintenance'] is massively expensive.
A Ph.D. in organic chemistry, 35 years as a senior research scientist in the chemical/pharmaceutical/biopharmaceutical industry. And a long-time user of allergy/asthma medications, and reader of scientific literature on same. Originally Posted by mastermind238
Well, I won the 2008 Noble Prize for Allergy Treatment, so there!!!

In fact, I INVENTED the term "allergy."
Treating allergy symptoms is nice, but is there any real research as to the CAUSE of allergies? Why do some people have allergies and other people don't.
I had a friend who at the age of 50 suddenly developed a severe allergy to gluten which gave him rheumatoid arthritis.

I think there's something going on here regarding the onset of allergies, and the body's allergic reaction response going haywire.

Too bad there's no money to be made finding out the real cause of such things.

There's a lot of money to be made re-formulating existing allergy medications though, or inventing new ones.

That's why we have allergies to cope with in the 21st century.

The profit motive in the medical industry.
You are probably one of three types
Allegra works (when you take it everyday as recom)
Zyrtek works
or Generic Claritin works (can buy all at Costco or Sams for cheap/lg quantity)

If none of these......use a juice machine to juice veggies 2x day, take calcium 3x daily and multivitamin at night w/food. And prey.
Zyrtec works, but it has been knocking me the hell out! I will see if the non drowsy version works just as good.