When Dallas Rocked

An excellent retrospective.
I doubt I am adding much to this thread but I cherish my memories of Austin.
I relocated to Austin from the Chicago area in 76 a sprawling community of fresh air approximately 300 thousand at the time affordable star power out the ass and far more intimate venues.

Inappropriate image removed by staff
Originally Posted by SweetAterPie
Hey SAP, where'd my pic go? C'mon man, you can do much better..
Thank you staff.
Kenny and the Kasuals was Dallas' protopunk garage band supreme. Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols said the Kasuals were one if his inspirations. This was around 1965 when KBOX ruled the airwaves and staff from the station were helping build Pirate Radio stations in the English Channel. Kenny Daniel is still around Dallas with his band KGB. Used to listen to the Kasuals at The Studio Club on Sherry Lane.

ETA that was a Grateful Dead tribute band that played Dada on Sunday afternoons in the early 90's.
that was both awesome and sad at the same time.

anybody remember Big Bucks Burnett? probably not but Bill's Records was a great place to hang out. and so many other record stores.

good times.

JPdM Originally Posted by Juan Pablo de Marco
Bill's was a cool place to hang out. You didn't find any alphabetized plastic dividers at Bill's. You went over to some carboard boxes in a general area of the store and flipped though the records. I recently moved and saved a buttload of albums for my daughter. Someday she will play them. The thing I loved about albums was the art work.

Every city has it's own traits. Dallas became materialistic. As a rule the more liberal a city is, the more artistic personality it has.
I don't think Dallas ever had a real music scene; def not in the indie world in which I live.. I lived in Athens Ga in the mid 80's which was the hot bed of the American Indie music scene- even better that Austin during those years..
I think today Austin is probably on of the most happening and desirable places to be..
Dallas is actually a pretty stale city in terms of musical entertainment IMO.
Great restos, shopping, and some bars but it is really a financial and convention town.. not much progressive happening here..
I didn't know that the Grateful Dead played at dada on a regular basis.
Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers
E ~ The Dead did not play at dada on a regular basis, unfortunately. That would have been awesome. It was a Grateful Dead cover band, and they rocked.

There is a new one out there called Forgotten Space some of the original members, they are damn good, too. They have a facebook page.