Best BBQ?

I thinck everyone pulls their pork the same.

In TX we have too many BarBQ chains. They tend to lose their taste and innocence as they grow.

I found the KC sauces sweeter when I lived in Independence.

Shuffleboard is the best BarBQ game.
I'll agree, a lot of smokehouses in Texas use Mesquite wood to smoke their meats and since Mesquite is a hotter (and smokier) burning wood than other hardwoods (say, oak), it does tend to dry out the meat. The really good smokehouses tend to use a mostly oak--for that steady heat-- with some mesquite thrown in for a little different flavor. A lot of 'smokes' won't even use Mesquite because they say it makes the meat taste like you've been cooking with diesel fuel.

I've never tried KC BBQ, but I've heard there are some outstanding places to try. If you're ever in Texas and want some good BBQ, just look for the sign,
"Can't beat our meat" and you've landed at a pretty damned good spot.

I'll agree, a lot of smokehouses in Texas use Mesquite wood to smoke their meats and since Mesquite is a hotter (and smokier) burning wood than other hardwoods (say, oak), it does tend to dry out the meat.....I've never tried KC BBQ, but I've heard there are some outstanding places to try. If you're ever in Texas and want some good BBQ, just look for the sign,
"Can't beat our meat" and you've landed at a pretty damned good spot.
Not sure if you remember all the BBQ threads I did in Texas over the years Sofa, but I found very few....Austin, Houston, Dallas/FortWorth....less than a handful....and the beans were aweful.......with one exception. We are talking nonnational-chain places of course.
I hear ya' SS and I agree; the really good ones are few and far between; you'll get no argument from me on that, my friend. We've got a bunch of half-ass/mediocre BBQ joints and just a handful of truly good ones.

*shrugs*
Bar B Q is like religion, everyone thinks they have the answer. I have lived in both Texas and Kansas City and for my money, I will go with Kansas City. The first thing I noticed about Texas was they are very skimpy on the sauce. Their theory is that good bar b q doesn't need sauce...but in my mind if you dont have sauce, then all you have is grilled or smoked meat. Texas does a lot of things really well, but for me....bar b q isn't one of them.
Texas BBQ is good but they are into beef, as mentioned. The three times I've had BBQ down there, the meat seemed drier (as mentioned already). Still, I had no axe to grind with the little shack establishment where we ate. In fact, I ordered takeout before leaving. Most of my fellow KC'ers think KC BBQ, especially the pork ribs and the sauce is our thing, thus we feel ours is best. I sent a CARE Package to my friend in Iraq which included good old standby Tabasco Sauce and two (plastic) bottles of Jack's Stack sauce. Big mistake. I had requests from both Marines and Soldiers I didn't know if I'd send them s bottle or two, they absolutely loved it. Long story short, I sent them, and still do to those who write me. I tell them their money is no good. I've spent over $800 in CARE Packages via USPS Priority Packages for the past two years and I'll spend another $800 if I need to do so. One Marine sergeant promised to pay for a night with the provider of my choice, along with the one he picks when he stops through KC. We'll see, but I won't hold him to it. Back to the topic, I like Jack's Stack, but remember LC's fondly, and for some reason I remember Rosedale BBQ on SW Blvd as good, too. Famous Dave's? If you like ketchup, it''s all right. Athur Bryant? Living off the old man's name (God rest his soul). Your mileage may vary as does your tastes and before some of you rip me a new A** H***, just remember these comments are my opinions only.
This is a rhetorical question correct? its obviously Kansas City. LOL
  • dtguy
  • 02-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Having lived in a number of different states over the years I have to say that BBQ in each state is different. Texas brisket when done right is the best. And yes Texas sauces tend to be sweeter than other places. Kansas BBQ is all about pork ribs for me. The sauces tend to have a bite, I guess they have more of a vinger flavor.

I also just enjoy BBQ.
Ironically, if I ranked my favs by state, TX is not in the top 3.

I compete locally and regionally and have enjoyed my share of BBQ and I have to say that OK Joes is my fav here in KC.