Nashville Recommendations

Salutations all!

Anyone have Nashville suggestions? Music, food, fun things, oddities?

It's my first trip down and I am eager to do much exploring. Originally Posted by Lauren Summerhill
Brentwood area is nice, there is a restaurant in downtown Franklin called the Red Pony which is pretty good, not sure if you fancy Thai food (it's my fav), but there is a place called Bistro Thai in Cool Springs that is yummy, also a really great sushi bar in the gulch,(can't recall the name sorry)....

Not sure if you're into comedy clubs but there is a Zanies in Nashville.

I'm not so much into the nightlife there, as a lot of it is quite country, but if you want to have a feel for that all you need do is take a walk down Broadway...
LS: let us know how your Nashville trip went and if you had fun at any of the spots that we recommended; or better yet, you can share some recommendations for our next trip o Music City.
LS: let us know how your Nashville trip went and if you had fun at any of the spots that we recommended; or better yet, you can share some recommendations for our next trip o Music City. Originally Posted by Whirlaway

Nashville was wonderful. It's probably one of the cleanest cities I've been to in the US, actually it sort of reminds me of Toronto. I found the people incredibly friendly. Food was good, but I didn't find it particularly exciting - then again I was away from downtown and limited to more corporate areas.

I can't really say much about where I've been because it was related to my day job. I will say that one can spot many a hall of fame writer at the Sunset Grill - if you know what they look like. These are the people behind the scenes writing for the artists who became famous.

Regarding music: I would have to say pick up the Nashville Music Directory or the Nashville Scene, sit down at a computer and go through club calendars, and check out the artist ReverbNation and MySpace profiles - that's the only way to hunt down the best music. It isn't venue specific - it isn't in any city. You have to chase the musicians not become loyal to a venue. 2nd Ave and surrounding areas are mostly a waste of time, primarily cover, and targeted at tourists. The locals strongly support clubs in the surrounding areas, venues were packed on weekday nights. Fortunately it seems that nothings more then a $15 cab ride away. I did learn that BB Kings club, the "Deep Blues" downstairs is quite particular and features some truly amazing talent but it was closed during my visit.

Probably the best quality of music I've seen in the US (haven't hit Austin or Seattle yet). Incredible songwriters, great vocalists, stupidly talented musicians. Better overall quality then NYC, LA, and NOLA.

I learned about a new instrument: The music box, apparently a Mexican invention. God bless poor musicians, you could give them a can and a puddle of mud and they'll create an amazing piece - if it makes sound they'll make music. Then a craftsman picks it up and makes it art!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-IMARby9gA

The tone you get out of this dumbfounded me, particularly the snare and kick drum. I've seen people place their feet on certain parts to change the tone. It's incredible what they do with it. When you find a rhythm man of god like skill they bring this to life in ways that blow your mind.
The Steel Band was invented around the time of World War II. Its home is Trinidad and its roots are from Africa. When the British colonial authorities banned African drumming, the people made music from bamboos which they thumped on the ground. and they created "Tamboo Bamboo Bands". Between the 1930s and 1945, biscuit tins, hubcaps and empty oil drums became a new sort of drum - steel, with distinct notes hammered into the surface. The steel banders call the music Pan and the oil drums on which it is played were called "pans". Trinidadians have always believed that music should be made with whatever came to hand. The Trinidadians also claim that the steel drum is the only non-electronic musical instrument invented this century.
http://www.yourtravelsource.com/Abou...y/history.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06eyqLosXjU
@LS - thanks for "reporting back"

all too often we get these requests with no follow-up