Common Law Marrage

Real deal. Saw it happen.
How would you ever prove it? One party could claim in court that they never "agreed" they were married. You'd have to track down witnesses to tell the court "Hey, those 2 both told me at the supermarket that they were married" If one person's name is on the lease or deed, just kick the other person out if they aren't paying rent. Don't set yourself up for failure; avoid steering in the direction of these kinds of scenarios. Originally Posted by Pangolier
In the vast majority of cases, they want to be married. Just without all the cost and formality of a conventional wedding. So generaly, its not that hard to prove.

But you are correct. Its not as easy to prove as a conventional marrage. So the claim early in this tread that showing up at a hotal with a gal claiming your married gives either party any maratial rights is wrong.

If you want to get married this way, fine. But just living togeather does not mean your married. If you are in or considering this, know the law and know your rights. Because once you meet the requirments of common law marrage, you are married with all the baggage of a conventional marrage. You cannot just walk away without paying a cost.
So the claim early in this tread that showing up at a hotal with a gal claiming your married gives either party any maratial rights is wrong.
Originally Posted by oldbutstillgoing
Originally Posted by Billogoods
My apologies. You are correct. Forgot where I was. My bad
It's all good.
i just remembered one other requirement before becoming common law married (CLM) ...

you gotta be unmarried!!!
so if one is married, then goes somewhere and states that their companion is their spouse, they are not CLM.
All I know is that, in Texas Civil Courts, if you have a y-chromosome, you're fucking liar and a bastard with more money than anyone would ever need. So, you best start writing checks to the poor woman, who YOU FUCKED OVER!!!

...unless you can prove the Court wrong.
It's hard to prove in Texas and often the plaintiff comes off as crazy. I used the word "plaintiff" because usually someone is suing someone else for money or to split property.