Who's The Best Rock Group In The World?

I would say Nine Inch Nails.

But then again I am biased.
  • PT4ME
  • 02-15-2011, 07:10 PM
LOL, this is like asking who has the best "pussy" in Dallas!! You ask 100 people, and you will probably get at least 80 different answers. Hell in this thread alone, no one but Neo came up with what they thought was THE best.....
I am probably a bigger "music junkie" than most, (over 100,000 titles on my hard drive) and I could not even take a stab at who I thought was the "best".....
Now if you wanna talk about who's GOOD??? ....... just see this thread,

http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=123626

lol, and contributions are encouraged!! Except for you Neo!!!! j/k

PT
There are some very good bands playin' around nowdays, but are they great? Time will tell.

Imagine Cowboy stadium puts on a rock concert. What present day rock bands could fill it? Only two that I can think of...

The Rolling Stones. Fifty fuckin' years and still out there!
U-2

Great bands with a huge production presentation.
I'm a huge Stones/Zep/Who/Hendrix fan and all, but...

Los Lobos... just another band from east L.A. if you saw them at the Granada a few weeks ago you know what i mean. simply the best band of any, and multiple, genres to ever grace a stage in the US. and i even saw them in Berlin Germany back in 99.

and if you have not seen it... check out the documentary LEMMY about the infamous Lemmy Kilmeister... of Motorhead fame:

http://www.lemmymovie.com/

without Motorhead...there would be no Metallica. fucking great film!

and of course.. some friends of ours, and yours... the Grateful Dead (to quote the late great Bill Graham) i listen mostly to jazz, reggae, african and brazilian music these days, but i have to hear some DEAD almost every day.

and don't forget the 2 best bands in the dallas area:

Slobberbone and Eleven Hundred Springs. support your local bands!

JPdM
2010 - for current bands I like Cage the Elephant All time favs are in no order - Def Lepard, Fuel, Bush, Radiohead, AC/DC, and the Rolling Stones,
Ok, how about these for some of my favorite bands:

mazzy star, the cure, sublime, down, duran duran, Tool,janis joplin, thrill kill cult, Nirvana! And fuck'n A, what about Black Sabbath man, Ozzy!~
the doors, Crosby stills Nash, & Young, The Doobie Brothers, Stevie Ray Vaughn, johnny fuckn cash, Buddy Holly, and one of my all time favorite concerts.....
PINK FLOYD!
Oh wow, where to start? Sooo many talented artists to choose from.

A lot of artists started out great but them mastered the art of suck and became suburban, repetitive, and boring. ROLLING STONES, Doobie Brothers, Green Day, and Aerosmith spring to mind, but there are many, many more.

The Rolling Stones before Brian Jones death would be near the top of my list of greatest rock bands for sure. Let it Bleed is the ultimate but things went down hill after that, IMHO... and I am a HUGE Stones fan. Saw them in a bar once in the early 80s and it was the second best concert I’ve ever experienced. But pretty pedestrian for the last 30 years. Was on stage with Iggy Pop a year later at the best concert of my life.

Here’s my list of the top 10 nominees for greatest rock bands ever (not in order):

Rolling Stones
Beatles
The Beach Boys
Led Zeppelin
Jimi Hendrix & the Experience
Sex Pistols
Iggy Pop & The Stooges
David Bowie
Nirvana
Eminem

Every single one of these bands/artists created a path for others to follow. I would have included Yardbirds/Cream/Clapton if Hendrix hadn’t overshadowed them so much. I didn’t include all of the many influencers like Chuck Berry, Bob Dylan, etc.

I excluded the rock clowns – hair bands, Kiss, Ozzie, etc.

My 2 cents.

L4L
what about bob seger man!
The Talking heads, Fleewood mac, Judas Priest, Joe Walsh, Bob Marley Mannn!
Everlast, MegaDeath? Suicidal Tendencies! Booyah!

How about shows, local Texas bands, last 2 decades?
retarded Elf, DeadHorse, Frisbee, and krass from Nola!
The problem is there really aren't any good supergroups out there right now. Probably the last one that might be considered that would be Creed, just due to all their hits. but they were as much disliked as liked it seems. there are no great bands out there like the Guns n Roses, AC/DC, U2, etc in this new era of bands.

At least we saw a revival of groups like Metallica with a great hit album.

I also like bands like Chickenfoot. Slash had a good solo album come out, and Myles Kennedy is supposed to be the sole vocalist on his next cd so I'm looking forward to that.
The two that always seem to pop up, The Beatles and The Stones. That should tell you something.
TOOL
+ 1 on the Beach Boys. I forgot all about them.
Blue Oyster Cult
Queen
Ac/Dc
The Ramones
U2
David Bowie
GreenDay
Sex Pistols (punk, I know)
The Offspring
The Who
NIN (again)

Seriously how could you miss these.
Metallica, Godsmack and NIN
Get out your popcorn. Bob Seger should be tossed for "Turn The Page" Man, what a horrible song. The only thing worse than listening to the original version, is listening to it at a karaoke bar.

And as far as Texas band's. Toadies anyone?