HELP! Girlfriend's 98 Honda Civic EX misfired, died, still dead...

OH I was newer told it restarted dammed customers sending us the wrong way oh and others who send you the wrong way. Honda sensors and incectors seem to never have issues that cause a no run situation but there are always cares of vu de jay!!!!

If it were mine and I used to take care of several 1.6 honda civics, I would..

Pull the cap and inspect the rotor thee should be no metal on the cap. Pull the distributor cap and check the rotor for firm attachment and that it rotates smoothly when cranked. (short period please) this tells us that the timing belt is working but not if it has slipped.
**** important, the new cap and rotor have been known for poor quality and for not being installed properly with lock-tight and therefor you should check to see if the rotor retaining bolt is loose or missing and if the rotor is firm on the shaft. If not replace with HONDA Part not from the part store!!!!! Inspect the old cap for metal to metal contact, there should be none. if there is you will need a new distributor in short order, buy a New Dorman with lifetime warranty.

Ok if the distributor looks OK

1--- Just to make sure--- Check the fuse box (under the hood) for fi, fuel pump, and anything else that maybe open and replace as needed. retest if fuse replaced.

1996-2000 Civic EX, DX, LX Under-Dash Fuses
Fuse Fuse Name Amps
1 Not Used -
2 Not Used -
3 Rear Wiper, Rear Washer 10
4 Right Headligh High Beam 10
5 Left Headlight High Beam 10
6 - -
7 Power Window Rear Left (Driver Side) 20
8 Power Window Rear Right (Passenger Side) 20
9 Ignition Coil 15
10 Power Window Front Right (Passenger Side) 20
11 Power Window Front Left (Driver Side) 20
12 Turn Lights (Hazard Warning Switch) 7.5
13 Fuel Pump (SRS Unit) 15
14 Cruise Control, Keyless (99-00), Radio (96-98 LX, EX, HX) 7.5
15 Alternator, SP Sensor 7.5
16 Rear Window Defogger (96-98), ABS Control Unit, Power Mirror (99-00) 7.5
17 Heater A/C Relay, Power Mirrors (96-98) 7.5
18 Running Light Relay (Canada) 7.5
19 Back-up Lights 7.5
20 Running Light (Canada) 7.5
21 Right Headlight Low Beam 10
22 Left Headlight Low Beam 10
23 SRS 10
24 Power Window Relay, Moonroof 7.5
25 Meter (Integrated Control Unit, Interlock Sys., Gauges 7.5
26 Front Wiper, Front Washer 20
27 Cigarette Lighter (ACC Socket) 10
28 Radio Clock 10
29 Not Used -
30 Instrument Lights 7.5
31 Starter Signal 7.5
32 License Plate Lights, Tail Lights 7.5
33 Interlock Unit 7.5

2--- Then you need to see if you have spark. This can be done many ways but if I need to tell a safe way, then you then you shouldn't be doing it. Check all 4 for white spark.
2b----Note: check the under thermostat cover for corrosion where the wires attach and clean as required retest for spark.

3--- If you have spark then you need to confirm fuel. This can be done easily by finding the fuel port (banjo) connection at the fuel filter.

Manually test on the out line for fuel( loose bolt with wrench) for 2 seconds by turning key to run position and again when cranking after the 2 seconds.
you will need to get a Injector tester to test injector pulse or a multimeter. noid tester can be rented for free or purchased from auto parts store.

4---turn the key to the run (not crank ) position and see if the service engine soon light goes out.

Please post it you can get these done and then we can test the injectors and the computer.

I now have my money on the rotor or distributor if it passes the timing belt test..
My money is on the distributor due to bad rotor but it's never fixed til it is fixed.
  • BLM69
  • 10-11-2015, 04:33 PM
Girlfriend is waiting for a hero lol, maybe a bbbj will get me down there to inspect the car for her.