CAPITAL PUNISHMENT YES OR NO AND WHY

I used to be for it...until DNA started exonerating people. Now I oppose it, because the system does not bat a thousand, or even close to it. I do think there show be an exception for 'display' murderers though. This would include people who brazenly kill in front of others (FT Hood massacre), terrorists, and serial killers who boast about their exploits. Originally Posted by lacrew_2000
Like several others posting in this thread, I was once a vehement supporter of capital punishment. The number of exonerations from DNA evidence in the last few years has made me an opponent of capital punishment. As for "display murderers," most of them seem to get off on all the attention a capital case brings. Just quietly lock them away with no publicity. Let them mix with the general prison population and sometimes (Jeffery Dahmer) the problem will take care of itself.
Gryphon said:

'As for "display murderers," most of them seem to get off on all the attention a capital case brings'

Good point. But, it still takes a trial just to lock these people up for life...and these guys get their jollies off of it (Dennis Rader for example really enjoyed his trial). And, Rader smuggled some poem out of prison that got sold at some serial killer memorabelia site. And I think of how ever decade or so, some two bit reporter thinks its a good idea to give Manson a TV interview (yes, I know he never personally killed).

Why count on a brutal murder to occur behind bars to get rid of these people? Like I said, I'm not for the death penalty, with the exception of high profile, brazen killings and serial killings and/or terrorism. In these cases in particular, there may actually even be a deterrent factor.
As for "display murderers," most of them seem to get off on all the attention a capital case brings. Originally Posted by Gryphon
What do you mean by display murderers?
The Consitution also use to allow slavery and deny women the right to vote. Originally Posted by BigMikeinKC
And the Constitution was amended to reverse those ideas. When the Constitution is amended to remove capital punishment, then that will be the law of the land.
I'm not for the death penalty, with the exception of high profile, brazen killings and serial killings and/or terrorism. In these cases in particular, there may actually even be a deterrent factor. Originally Posted by lacrew_2000
I don't know if it would necessarily be a deterrent in these cases. Serial killers are some deeply disturbed individuals with a strong disconnect from reality. It doesn't seem like it would deter them. As far as terrorist, it seems as if that makes them martyrs. Hell, some of them are willing to blow themselves up for their cause, so death doesn't seem like much of a deterrent. Personally, I would rather turn the terrorists free...in downtown NYC without police protection.
I don't know if it would necessarily be a deterrent in these cases. Serial killers are some deeply disturbed individuals with a strong disconnect from reality. It doesn't seem like it would deter them. As far as terrorist, it seems as if that makes them martyrs. Hell, some of them are willing to blow themselves up for their cause, so death doesn't seem like much of a deterrent. Personally, I would rather turn the terrorists free...in downtown NYC without police protection. Originally Posted by kcbigpapa
It certainly deters recidivism.
Omahan are you trying to look like a leftist elite by using big word?

Before all you boys go running for your Webster - he means repeat offenders.
And the Constitution was amended to reverse those ideas. When the Constitution is amended to remove capital punishment, then that will be the law of the land. Originally Posted by fritz3552
Please clarify for me. Does that mean slavery and denying women the right to vote were perfectly okay until it was removed from the Constitution?
What do you mean by display murderers? Originally Posted by kcbigpapa
See the quote in my post from lacrew_2000.
See the quote in my post from lacrew_2000. Originally Posted by Gryphon
Ok. I see what you mean now.