check your bills, ladies & gents...

It is impossible to get a counterfeit bill from an ATM bc for deposits they always use the automatic counters that besides counting detects if the bill is good ...

A teller would be incurring in a very high risk if is exchanging bills ... They have cameras over them and if a counterfeit they have to report it ...

Counting money is no longer by hand and they always use the automatic counters to close the day ... So its impossible to cheat nowadays ...

My opinion, It was a preplanned action ...

M2C

Just curious...is it possible to get a counterfeit bill from my bank's ATM?
I assume they check that closely but I don't really know.

Are you out the $100? I would guess so since the bank has no reason to accept it. Originally Posted by L.A.
Get yourself the pen UV light combo. It won't happen again. If you know who gave it to you and they are a member here this should be an alert
I don't know who it was or I would have contacted them directly so they could have a chance to make it right. I am not even sure it was purposeful. I have spotted fake bills before in my life. I know they typically feel and look a little off especially when grouped with real bills. These all looked and felt the same so it could have just as easily been unknown to the person who gave it to me. I cannot assume that the person knew it was counterfeit just like the bank did not assume that of me.

Does anyone have a good recommendation on what brand of UV light/pen is best and where to buy one?

Edit: I'm sorry, Nastya, I just saw you said Staples. lol. Is one brand better than another or are they pretty much all the same? Thank you
Just pull out a bill and test it before you buy
Counterfit stuff usually gets the secret service involved. Speaking of: http://www.secretservice.gov/know_your_money.shtml
Ya I won't have this problem again. Going to get a pen at Staples today.
I use the Nite-Ize Innova Uv flash light now.. Got it from Fry's for $45. I use it to check for counterfeit bills, check sheets and bathrooms for cleanliness when I check in, cure fingernail polish, see how effective my facial at the salon was, check my face after a hobby facial to see how clean I got it, check fluid leaks on my motorcycle..

Not a one trick pony!!
... check my face after a hobby facial to see how clean I got it, ...
Originally Posted by Nastya
Maybe NOW I can say I've heard it all! LOL. The lady seems very serious about her cleanliness which is a very good thing.
Now I am even more intimidated to see Nastya, I would break out into a sweat as she UV light's both me and my donation. I don't need that kind of pressure!
I use the Nite-Ize Innova Uv flash light now.. Got it from Fry's for $45. I use it to check for counterfeit bills, check sheets and bathrooms for cleanliness when I check in, cure fingernail polish, see how effective my facial at the salon was, check my face after a hobby facial to see how clean I got it, check fluid leaks on my motorcycle..

Not a one trick pony!! Originally Posted by Nastya
To check the leaks on your motorcycle with your UV light, do you have to add a dye to the oil?

THN - I doubt it was preplanned, your customer probably got it and didn't realize it.

Most tellers tell me they can feel and spot a fake easily. High quality fakes are detected by expensive machinery made right over by the old Texas Stadium by a company once called Recognition Equipment, at least it was 20 years ago
Just a quick and positive update:

I went to speak with the bank manager yesterday about the bill and was told which one it was. It was an older washed bill. I remember who gave it to me, contacted him and we just met about 20min ago so he could correct the issue.

It was an honest mistake and we both felt a little awkward that it happened. No harm no foul.

Lastly, a special Thank You to the gentleman for being so understanding and helpful about clearing this up. Thank you, sir!

Cheers to happy endings!

But please make sure to still check your bills. I'm really fortunate to have been able to clear this up but I learned a valuable lesson on investing in a counterfeit pen and checking bills. Not to mention all the other uses outlined by Nastya! So many cool uses! Thanks again, gorgeous!
I have no need for a UV light but want one now for the hell of it
If you move the bill and look the strip ,it will actually change.

PS I know the guy who prints these in Ft Worth, I keep asking him to bring his work home with him LOL
I can't stand the new $100.00 bills! They look like freaking Monopoly money and stick together way too much!
This is why I always use an ultraviolet flashlight to check my money. It makes all the security points visible and is much more dependable than a pen. The flashlights are sold at electronics stores and are inexpensive. The more LED lights is has, the better. Also, look for the 365nm light. It's better for checking money.

The security strip in 20's should glow green, 100's should be red, 5's have a blue strip, 50's have a yellow strip and 10's have an orange security strip. There is printing on each denomination which also fluoresce. The printed yellow, "20" symbols on the back of a twenty dollar bill will glow red, for example. There are many sites with info on detecting counterfeit money.