the riots and violence

all four cops [k]new better. The ones that watched are just as guilty as the one who used his knee. Originally Posted by tbone2u
Agreed!

As far as the rioting and looting....it only makes matters worse. I would treat them the same as the bad cops. Originally Posted by tbone2u
Bad cops have a lot of protection by prosecutors, police unions, judicial system, qualified immunity, GoFund Me support, etc. Notwithstanding the video, there's no guarantee that Chauvin or the other officers will be convicted. Most likely, they will return to their jobs (or at other LE depts) along with backpay. Based on past experiences, there's a significant segment of society that has no faith justice will be done.
Agreed!

Bad cops have a lot of protection by prosecutors, police unions, judicial system, qualified immunity, GoFund Me support, etc. Notwithstanding the video, there's no guarantee that Chauvin or the other officers will be convicted. Most likely, they will return to their jobs (or at other LE depts) along with backpay. Based on past experiences, there's a significant segment of society that has no faith justice will be done. Originally Posted by htownhammer

This is so true and this is what the protests needed to be about. That thin blue line isn't thin enough.

Cops need to be held accountable if they know another cop is a bad one. They need to hold each other accountable instead of protecting each other to the point of criminality. I don't know how that looks I just know how I feel about it.
Gerald Goines is a perfect example. Years of pulling shit on the job and seemingly everyone knew what he was doing but it was overlooked. Why? Because he was a cop? No! He was a criminal. A wolf in sheep's clothing if you will.
Bad cops should most definitely be held accountable. Mr Floyd should have never had a knee on his neck...this is Murder! He was contained and no longer resisting arrest.

I was told one of the officers on scene was fresh out of the academy. If this is true I have mixed feelings about proscicuting him. I work for an insurance company and just thinking back when I was green, I would of never spoken up.

Make us proud Houston when Mr. Floyd comes home.
Bad cops should most definitely be held accountable. Mr Floyd should have never had a knee on his neck...this is Murder! He was contained and no longer resisting arrest.

I was told one of the officers on scene was fresh out of the academy. If this is true I have mixed feelings about proscicuting him. I work for an insurance company and just thinking back when I was green, I would of never spoken up.

Make us proud Houston when Mr. Floyd comes home. Originally Posted by Fizley

All cops need to be held accountable when they know another cop is bad. That thin blue line is a disgrace when it means they protect criminal behavior.

I get what you are saying about being green. When I was in college for my degree it was drilled into us that appearances had an incredible amount to do with the profession. Ethical behavior is every bit as important as accuracy...but green is the absolute best time to teach the kind of behavior that is necessary to change things.
Two things need to happen to create a shift in the paradigm. Legislation needs to cut into that thin blue line to make those who KNOW just as responsible, when they don't say something, as those who DO. 2nd and probably more importantly, academies need to drill that brotherhood protection at all costs out of, instead of into, cadets. Since 911 "see something, say something" has been a catch phrase. That mentality needs to be instilled into the police forces from the smallest municipalities all the way up to the FBI.

Also, it needs to be a part of the DA's office and even the judiciary. I keep going back to that scum bag Gerald Goines but other people signed off on that no knock warrant knowing Goines was a bad apple and had a history. Responsibility goes all the way to someone in the DAs office and a fucking appointed municipal court judge who is responsible for adjudicating traffic violations.
Agreed!

Bad cops have a lot of protection by prosecutors, police unions, judicial system, qualified immunity, GoFund Me support, etc. Notwithstanding the video, there's no guarantee that Chauvin or the other officers will be convicted. Most likely, they will return to their jobs (or at other LE depts) along with backpay. Based on past experiences, there's a significant segment of society that has no faith justice will be done. Originally Posted by htownhammer
Maybe that lack of faith has been earned over decades of corruption and nurtured by generations of systemic racism in the community.

Bad cops are cops who care more for the power and less for the people.
I have a distant relative who works in the Hennepin County DA's office. They are under tremendous pressure to get these charges right and then get the convictions. I also just read where other county attorneys are wanting Hennepin County to turn everything over to state DOJ to make sure it get's done right. Apparently there is some concern about the Hennepin County DA and possibly even a recall.

I can tell you this, strictly as my opinion at this point, if the County, State or Feds, whoever, fail to get convictions on those four scumbags for whatever reason it's going to make the Rodney King riots look like a 4th of July parade and what we just witnessed over the last two weeks will be nothing compared to what will come.

This upgrading of the charges to second degree "unintentional" murder may be a mistake. They are still keeping the third degree and manslaughter charges in addition to so I guess a jury, if they can find an impartial one, will have the latitude to decide which charge most fits. Again, failure to get a conviction on the most severe charge will not set well even if they get a conviction on a lesser charge. Additionally, failure to get a conviction on the most severe charge causes charges on the other three scumbags to be lowered and convictions possibly harder to get.
People have to remember that all groups in a society are going to have bad eggs in them. You would think police departments try to limit as many bad eggs as possible. I think they can do a better job and should. It's a problem that needs to be fixed.

On the other hand....the violence that's been going on from many of the protesters needs to stop. You don't create a new problem to correct an existing problem. I do think it's ironical that all the murders in Chicago every week receive no attention whatsoever.
It is terrible if you grow up, or are in a situation where there is little hope, you feel unworthy and disrespected, and people are afraid of you. Some very successful black people still say they are sometimes made to feel less than human.

On the other hand, there is a reason delivery drivers won't deliver to some neighborhoods, and everyone is afraid to go or even drive through there..........violence and no law enforcement. No respect for others. When there is a chance, looters come out and use current events to steal other peoples property. If you experience that, your attitude is completely opposite.

A radio announcer for the Sacramento teams for many years was just fired for mentioning "all lives matter." It's not about doing your job well anymore. It's about the nuances.

Drew Brees has had to heavily backtrack on statements he made.
all groups in a society are going to have bad eggs in them. Originally Posted by tbone2u
The police force is unlike any other group in society. When it comes to misconduct, members in other groups aren't granted anything close to the protections given to police. There's few private company employees that could retain their job with 18 complaints from the public in their employee record. It's a huge hurdle to get charges on cops let alone to convict. Even in the Floyd case with that horrendous video, the MN AG has stated that it will not be easy to convict Chauvin and team.
I have the utmost respect for the police. Some of my closest friends are police officers.The know who's dirty and who's not. The problem goes all the way to the top and that's why it's slow to change....but it is changing. As far as private companies, all it takes is a complaint for a woman about sexual harassment and the guy is gone. Doesn't even matter if it was true or not. A lot of perfectly normal acting people can be very cruel when the chips fall on the table.
People don't like being responsible for their actions....especially younger people.
RIP Floyd, I won't do that even to my enemies in war. There were many people around when the incident happened and nobody bothered or dared to stop or alert cops. This has nothing to do with people's race, I hope we as a society change for good.

Worst part both political parties trying to take advantage of the situation.

God Save USA.
People have to remember that all groups in a society are going to have bad eggs in them. You would think police departments try to limit as many bad eggs as possible. I think they can do a better job and should. It's a problem that needs to be fixed.

On the other hand....the violence that's been going on from many of the protesters needs to stop. You don't create a new problem to correct an existing problem. I do think it's ironical that all the murders in Chicago every week receive no attention whatsoever. Originally Posted by tbone2u
+1

The police force is unlike any other group in society. When it comes to misconduct, members in other groups aren't granted anything close to the protections given to police. There's few private company employees that could retain their job with 18 complaints from the public in their employee record. It's a huge hurdle to get charges on cops let alone to convict. Even in the Floyd case with that horrendous video, the MN AG has stated that it will not be easy to convict Chauvin and team. Originally Posted by htownhammer
There's this thing called "due process." Floyd didn't get it. We understand. Mobs don't. We have to afford Chauvin the same rights even though he didn't as his sworn duty as a police officer. Hopefully the MN folks won't fuck this up.

This is so true and this is what the protests needed to be about. That thin blue line isn't thin enough.

Cops need to be held accountable if they know another cop is a bad one. They need to hold each other accountable instead of protecting each other to the point of criminality. I don't know how that looks I just know how I feel about it.
Gerald Goines is a perfect example. Years of pulling shit on the job and seemingly everyone knew what he was doing but it was overlooked. Why? Because he was a cop? No! He was a criminal. A wolf in sheep's clothing if you will. Originally Posted by boardman
Thanks. I had no idea about this.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/houston-co...ry?id=69255130

No knock warrants need to be abolished or very tightly controlled. I read an incident about no knock warrant a month ago where the homeowner's wife was killed and the guy the police were looking for was already in jail. Unforgivable!
85 people shot....24 fatally in Chicago last weekend.
Where are the protesters for that?
So far this year 1,003 people have been shot in Chicago
85 people shot....24 fatally in Chicago last weekend.
Where are the protesters for that?
So far this year 1,003 people have been shot in Chicago Originally Posted by tbone2u
What you are doing is diversion. 85 shootings are bad. They were by "criminals". That's what "criminals" do.

The protest for Floyd is because the people we pay for protection habitually kill us. The outrage is here because this is in direct contrast to what they are supposed to do.

It is sad when that same lame talking point is used
I agree what happened to Floyd was terrible.
I just don't understand why the black community never says anything about the problem in Chicago. The ones doing the shooting ARE criminals. Many that die are not. Some are innocent women and kids.
No one seems to give a shit about that.
I guess women and kids getting shot is a lame talking point.
It's easy to always put the blame on others when the problem is staring you right in the face.

I'm also guessing you think looting and burning a business down is done by non-criminals