Swapping license plates for security?

Does it matter if the plate is on a car on private property?

Meaning. If I use a magnet to hold plates over mine after I enter a private apartment complex and well before I arrive at an incall, is that OK?... Originally Posted by LazurusLong
Just to assuage my curiosity because I thought it was the case, I grabbed a magnet and imagine that! It wouldn't stick to my PLASTIC bumper or ALUMINUM Texas license plate!!
TEXAS TRANSPORATION CODE SECTION 502.409. WRONG, FICTITIOUS, ALTERED, OR OBSCURED LICENSE PLATE.

(a) A person commits an offense if the person attaches to or displays on a motor vehicle a number plate or registration insignia that:
(1) is assigned to a different motor vehicle;
(2) is assigned to the vehicle under any other motor vehicle law other than by the department;
(3) is assigned for a registration period other than the registration period in effect;
(4) is fictitious;
(5) has blurring or reflective matter that significantly impairs the readability of the name of the state in which the vehicle is registered or the letters or numbers of the license plate number at any time;
(6) has an attached illuminated device or sticker, decal, emblem, or other insignia that is not authorized by law and that interferes with the readability of the letters or numbers of the license plate number or the name of the state in which the vehicle is registered; or
(7) has a coating, covering, protective material, or other apparatus that:
(A) distorts angular visibility or detectability;
(B) alters or obscures one-half or more of the name of the state in which the vehicle is registered; or
(C) alters or obscures the letters or numbers of the license plate number or the color of the plate.
(b) Except as provided by Subsection (f), an offense under Subsection (a) is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not more than $200, unless it is shown at the trial of the offense that the owner knowingly altered or made illegible the letters, numbers, and other identification marks, in which case the offense is a Class B misdemeanor.
(c) Subsection (a)(7) may not be construed to apply to:
(1) a trailer hitch installed on a vehicle in a normal or customary manner;
(2) a transponder, as defined by Section 228.057, that is attached to a vehicle in the manner required by the issuing authority;
(3) a wheelchair lift or wheelchair carrier that is attached to a vehicle in a normal or customary manner;
(4) a trailer being towed by a vehicle; or
(5) a bicycle rack that is attached to a vehicle in a normal or customary manner.
(d) A court may dismiss a charge brought under Subsection (a)(3), (5), (6), or (7) if the defendant:
(1) remedies the defect before the defendant's first court appearance; and
(2) pays an administrative fee not to exceed $10.
(f) An offense under Subsection (a)(4) is a Class B misdemeanor.

Does it matter if the plate is on a car on private property? Originally Posted by LazurusLong
No.

Meaning. If I use a magnet to hold plates over mine after I enter a private apartment complex and well before I arrive at an incall, is that OK? Originally Posted by LazurusLong
No.

How bout if I pull into the parking area of a hotel and change them then drive up? Again, private property? Right? Originally Posted by LazurusLong
No.

For vehicles in my own driveway, can I mask or hide or use fake ones so driver's by can't see my plates? Originally Posted by LazurusLong
No.
Borrow a friends car before you go to a session that way if somebody See's it, it was not your car and if your friend gets called to the carpet he has a alibi work are whatever he was doing.

That's why a won't loan my car to anybody.
Hercules
Swapping license plates for security?
I go in to get my wallet and keys. Leaving my subdivision I notice the lady out of her car on a side-street swapping out her license plates!

My first thought was if I were LE and I caught her with TWO different license plates she'd be in trouble worse then some dude snooping on her.
Yep if you were LE than you could have had a little fun with her over that. And it is a little noticeable to people who pay attention. A proper snoop job would have caught her before, during, and after.

Hobbyfun
Borrow a friends car before you go to a session that way if somebody See's it, it was not your car and if your friend gets called to the carpet he has a alibi work are whatever he was doing.

That's why a won't loan my car to anybody.
Ole Hobbyfun got this one out before I came along. Which is not hard to do lately. Another bit of good info is to have it registered to a company name. I know in the past(years ago) that I would hear returns given that listed a leasing company as the owner.

Oh Hobbyfun while you were passed out drunk and while your friend was driving you home do you know what kind of shenanigans your friend was getting into with your car? (Yes I have taken a little leeway with his post in the interest of a )
Cant tell you about the other stuff, but it would be even easier for them to look up your name by tax records on address than your plates.
How would they get your tax records off of your vehicle?

Also of course it is a crime to switch the plates but how likely is it that a police officer is going to drive by; see your parked car and decide to run the plates?

Wouldn't the point of changing your plates be to hide your identity from a potential stalker client/provider? Or from the self appointed vigilantie that might try to out clients?

Also how easy is it really to look up a licence plate? I thought only the police or a licensed private investigator could look them up.
How would they get your tax records off of your vehicle?

Also how easy is it really to look up a licence plate? I thought only the police or a licensed private investigator could look them up. Originally Posted by DallasGuy21
Anybody can obtain a wealth of information from a license plate number. The state agency that governs license plates, the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles, sells plate numbers to private companies such as www.publicdata.com. Anyone with a subscription to www.publicdata.com can run a plate number and get a person's name, address, and vehicle description. Of course, once you have a person's name, you can obtain all sorts of information about them, such as their criminal background, civil suits to which they've been a party, and real property (i.e., land) they own. If you have a person's address, you can get tax information from a site such as the Dallas County Central Appraisal District web site.