Best Tex Mex Restaurant in DFW

Prolongus, while that cuisine is Mexican, it's not Tex-Mex. Yes I crave good Tex-Mex when enchiladas, tamales and the like are on the menu, but the food you mention is interior Mexican food. Dishes indigenous to various parts of Mexico. Norteno, Veracruzano, Chiapas etc. The best real Mexican restaurant that Dallas ever had was La Valentina de Mexico on Montfort north of 635. It was the only USA location of a Ciudad Mexico DF family of restaurants. Twenty kinds of premium tequila served like sorbet between courses. And this was in the late 1980's. Wish that restaurant would come back but I don't think it will. Dallas people were not sophisticated enough to appreciate what a gem it was.
Everybody has their own favorite. For the best Margarita you have to go to marianos! After all they invented the frozen Rita and the first machine is still I'm thr Smithsonian.
  1. El Rancho Grande in Fort Worth ****
  2. Mi Cocina *** 1/2
  3. Taco Diner *** 1/2
  4. Casa Milagro - Richardson - *** 1/2 Like Luna's and Mi Cocina.
  5. Uncle Julio's ***
  6. Cantina Laredo ***
  7. Papasitos *** Still a good lunch place
Originally Posted by morrissey
Really? Most of these places are chain restaurants one notch above El Queso, Chipotle, etc.. If these are the best in DFW, then the bar is not that high, IMHO.
Tres Jose's on White settlement in FW, great fajitas and top shelf ritas. Abeulos because the fajita meat is soft and tastly. Mercardo Juarez, and definitely Uncle Julios.
Lust- el rancho is no chain nor is casa milagro. The rest are regionals. That is why I posted a best in the southwest us.
Prolongus, while that cuisine is Mexican, it's not Tex-Mex. Yes I crave good Tex-Mex when enchiladas, tamales and the like are on the menu, but the food you mention is interior Mexican food. Dishes indigenous to various parts of Mexico. Norteno, Veracruzano, Chiapas etc. The best real Mexican restaurant that Dallas ever had was La Valentina de Mexico on Montfort north of 635. It was the only USA location of a Ciudad Mexico DF family of restaurants. Twenty kinds of premium tequila served like sorbet between courses. And this was in the late 1980's. Wish that restaurant would come back but I don't think it will. Dallas people were not sophisticated enough to appreciate what a gem it was. Originally Posted by Sierra977
Yes, it does have interior Mexico food as you mentioned and enchiladas, tamales are on the menu, as well as tacos, nachos, quesadillas and fajitas. Just a great mix of dishes. Not sure the "true" definition of a Tex Mex place, but dang the food is great. Would like to try the Oak Cliff location someday.

Link to their menu: www.veracruzcafedallas.com/menu_cedarhill.php
Veracruz. Two locations...one in Cedar Hill and one in Dallas, I think. Entrees you won't find any place else. The Pescado Xanath: white fish fillet stuffed with shrimp and crab with Crema Totonaca...blue corn enchilladas, fish tacos... shit, just drooled on my keyboard...
Some listed on here I might try, though. Originally Posted by Prolongus
Damn Pro, thanks for the intel. That Pescado Xanath sounds ridiculous. Place is only a couple of minutes from the cave, guess where i'm going to lunch today!! Peace
  • KYOT
  • 01-22-2012, 07:53 AM
In my opinion hands down Gonzalez's there's two locations: East Dallas and Oak Cliff. When I go I usually go to the Oak Cliff location.

The food is great, but their niche is probably their homemade flour tortillas; they are seriously as thick as pancakes. Also I'm not a big fan of enchiladas, however, this is the only place I will eat them, they are great.

http://www.gonzalezrestaurant.com

http://www.yelp.com/biz/gonzales-mexican-food-dallas Originally Posted by Great White Buffalo

+1 to Gonzalez

I have been to this place, its kind of a hole in the wall family type place. The food is amazing, 15 years later its still the bar by which I judge all texmex I eat. He is right, the tortillas are melt in your mouth goodness.
I always likes Esparza's in Grapevine.

Abuello's
Mi Cocina
For real Tex-Mex made the old fashioned way in a dive type environment try Herrera's. Real Tex Mex none of that foo foo stuff.
I am a Tex-Mex junkie. Always have been, always will be.

For the best in the World (at least those parts that I have dined in), it has to be La Hacienda Ranch. One restaurant is in N Dallas, and one on Highway121 just south of Hall Johnson, at the Colleyville/Grapevine border.

Try the table side guacamole. And the salsa is perfection.
Damn Pro, thanks for the intel. That Pescado Xanath sounds ridiculous. Place is only a couple of minutes from the cave, guess where i'm going to lunch today!! Peace Originally Posted by latin6pack
L6P, if you're going to the Veracruz in Oak Cliff/Dallas, let me know how you liked it; haven't been to that one yet.
L6P, if you're going to the Veracruz in Oak Cliff/Dallas, let me know how you liked it; haven't been to that one yet. Originally Posted by Prolongus

I've been there several times as well as the location in Cedar Hill. They are both awesome!
For real Tex-Mex made the old fashioned way in a dive type environment try Herrera's. Real Tex Mex none of that foo foo stuff. Originally Posted by durango95
I'll second Herrera's on Josey between Belt Line and Keller Springs. Another favorite of mine is Jalepenos in Allen.
Why must people put chain restaurants in when speaking of the best? Shouldn't there be a rule against that?

El Ranco Grande is AMAZING!

Joe T's is fun and for tourists, but great food? HA!

My favorite chain is Mi Cocina.