Job opportunity has full FBI background check.

I was once interviewed by a DIA (Defense Intelligence Agency) agent as part of someone else's security clearance process for a Top Secret clearance. My friend who was trying to get cleared was a woman, and had a somewhat ... interesting ... past, including personal involvement in various aspects of the sex industry. She's totally open about that, and has no problems discussing it with anyone who'd like to know about it. She gave the DoD all the details about it. The DIA agent asked me about it a little bit, but the questions were really focused on trying to find out if she'd been involved in anything else she hadn't already disclosed - and she hadn't. Long story short, she got her clearance, no problem. What they're really concerned about with stuff like that is whether or not you might be subject to being blackmailed. One thing they really don't want, as far as someone who has a clearance, is someone with "skeletons in the closet" that would cause them a lot of embarrassment or other issues if revealed. Originally Posted by laserface
You hit he nail on the hard...it's all about being open to the blackmail factor.

Thanks for the info.
Wow, this subject has turned to be very interesting!! I would be surprised if they did a hair test, but hey, I have nothing to hide on that subject. I am still filling out this paperwork because they ask you the same question 5 times, just a little differently, maybe to see if I trip up? Who knows! I have never been in debt except for my current house and waiting til the end of the month to pay off my credit cards.
I have never been in debt except for my current house and waiting til the end of the month to pay off my credit cards. Originally Posted by Phrasing
Yeah, a credit check will or has definitely been done!
I once interviewed with the FBI as an agent soon after I got out of the Marine Corps...

I remember one of the written questions being "Have you ever paid someone for sex"

There was a Lie Detector I took later on as well... Originally Posted by DickEmDown
True story, the lie detector measures how much you clinch your asshole.....that explains the cushion they had you sit on.

Also if you buzz cut its not big deal. If you want the job you'll get a hair from somewhere even you're asshole.

Credit check, background for convictions, interview with you to see if your a person of good moral character or someone who poses a threat or intends to harm the US government and they'll ask your neighbors, friends and teachers about you. So not much to worry about unless you hang out with some fucked up people.
In the U.S. Federal government, there are three levels of security clearance set forth in Executive Order 10450; and others - confidential, secret, and top secret. Only the top secret requires a full-field background investigation requiring face-to-face interviews. Confidential and secret only require a variety of records checks and data base checks. Most likely, the job you are interested in does not require a top secret clearance.
On the application, I am sure there is a statement that to knowingly provide any false information is a violation of Title 18, Section 1001 of the U.S. code and that you can be prosecuted. Additionally, if you are provided a personal interview and provide information that you know to be false you can be prosecuted under that statute as well. My understanding is that prosecutions under this law have increased over recent years. So, my advice would be to provide information only that you know to be true and not volunteer any additional information that is not specifically requested - on the application and during any personal interview.
As to a polygraph question: have you ever paid for sex? I think that all men would need to answer in the affirmative or bells would ring. We pay for it one way or the other. I do not believe that the Feds would be interested in your hobby activities nor do I believe that it would surface during their normal checks.
But, who knows?
Not to sound a "downer" note, but the mere fact that you posted

Job opportunity has full FBI background check

well may have tripped a wire (figuratively) in some NSA or some other 3-letter guvmint system causing a bit of fall out.

Given all the revelations of the NSA flap best to very careful in giving any references to any guvmint agents or agencies.

just sayin'
Masking your IP address or using a TOR browser (for say, hobbying or any other activity that might draw scrutiny) is not a bad idea, including AFTER you get your clearance.

19Trees
Not to sound a "downer" note, but the mere fact that you posted

Job opportunity has full FBI background check

well may have tripped a wire (figuratively) in some NSA or some other 3-letter guvmint system causing a bit of fall out.

Given all the revelations of the NSA flap best to very careful in giving any references to any guvmint agents or agencies.

just sayin' Originally Posted by ck1942
I thought about that AFTER the fact, hindsight is always 20/20 as they say, but ya, thought about having a mod change the thread title...but probably already have tripped whatever if I have.
1. It will be carried out by a contractor, rarely by a real agent
2. They will be looking for anything that can be used to blackmail you. It isn't a matter of having a clean record. It is more about how honest are you about anything that that you have done. Be upfront, honest(Don't volunteer anything not asked)anything , and chances are, they won't ask you anything about sexual practices. They feed of your nervousness. Also, if you have to take a lie detector(you wont), practice the sphincter pucker. It drives them nuts.
Obviously, and for good reason, there is a lot of paranoia out there. Recent revelations about NSA and every other government agency are beyond frightening. But, in reference to the OPs question about full background check:

Fuggedaboudit. Seriously, those background checks are routine, and there will be no one visiting your neighbors, family, etc., for a prison guard job. As for the prospect of a lie detector test, the Bureau of Prisons does not use those for employment purposes.
Go by a firearm and see what happens!
Should I be worried? I have an opportunity in TX to work in a federal prison. Requirement is a full FBI background check, including drug testing and finger prints. I am 100% clean in all other aspects of my life except this hobby. Should I be worried at all?? Only thing I am worried about is they check my internet activity somehow. Maybe just being paranoid. Originally Posted by Phrasing
I have been through 5 FBI Background and 6 DPS background checks, finger prints, credit check and so on for the past 17 years.. never have been denied my Financial Licenses, they do not come to your house and check your Browser history.. so dont worry!

just went through another one 3 months ago