Is Life Better Without Alcohol?

Kind of difficult to catch a good buzz without some booze. Originally Posted by pyramider
that if you are not experienced in meditative techniques :-)
I get high on life! Originally Posted by WTF
Same here!
that if you are not experienced in meditative techniques :-) Originally Posted by ninasastri
Several ways to meditate. Mine is shopping, traveling, playing my piano, playing tennis, reading sex novels... what's yours? lol. Playing tennis is a high in itself.
...........................Nev er again... Sadly I'm very dependent on the Splenda also. That's the only thing I really like that I think Hey, maybe I shouldn't.. But I want to. And that's what counts. Originally Posted by Leah Ireland
I have made a lifestyle choice to not eat Splenda or any other substitute sweetners. I think they are bad for the body. They trick the body into thinking it’s sugar. From what I’ve read, it causes one to crave sweets more. I also never eat fat free things. Dairy products made with skim milk is fine, but no fat deserts? What are they putting in there to substitute for the fat? Very suspicious to me.

No alcohol or wonderful food? Ya – no! I enjoy my wine way to much. I have a glass or two every day. I rarely overindulge. I can’t stand a hangover or even the slow feeling one gets the next day.
I eat fairly healthily (lots of veggies, fruits, whole grains, usually choose non-processed foods) because I feel better physically and mentally when I do. I have more energy/am less sluggish, am more clear-headed, and my mood is more positive. Plus, I like the way "healthy stuff" tastes. Always have. Yeah, I was that kid who loved Brussels sprouts.

But I also love wine, beer, Skittles, and Oreo cookies (regular kind, not those peanut butter or double-stuffed abominations). So, while I do eat food that's better for me more often than food that's unhealthy or indeterminately unhealthy, it's not an either/or situation for me. Except when it comes to Oreos -- I'm an Oreo purist.

On the diet soda vs. regular soda debate: I don't drink a lot of either, but when I do I usually choose the sugar-free/HFCS-free version. I think the sugar high and subsequent crash and extra 200+ calories are worse for me than occasional exposure to chemicals that may or may not actually have detrimental effects (at least, that have debateably negative effects for non-rodent mammals outside the state of California).

Edited to add:
Leah: I can't believe people criticized you for having a glass of wine in your photos! That's awful. I have one right there in my banner below. Thankfully no one has ever had the gall to tell me they don't like it. I guess I wouldn't care if they did; it was delicious!
  • WTF
  • 05-18-2011, 12:08 PM
Can we now conclude that drink is better for some and worse for others?

I will say that on the calorie front , you can't take in more that you let out for any length of time, that wine packs on the cals. My gf was wondering why she was gaining lbs. I showed her a couple empty bottles of wine!

I tend to question anything I feel the need I have to have besides water and food and sex of course!

If I may quote the prophet Homer Simpson.

"To alcohol! The solution and cause of all of life's problems!"
Well ladies what are we pourin'? Originally Posted by SR Only
I rarely meet a Pinot grape that I don't like.

I will say that on the calorie front , you can't take in more that you let out for any length of time, that wine packs on the cals. My gf was wondering why she was gaining lbs. I showed her a couple empty bottles of wine! Originally Posted by WTF

Ain't that the sad truth! Beer bellies aren't only from beer...

I rarely meet a Pinot grape that I don't like.
Originally Posted by Carrie Hillcrest
I have two.
Can we now conclude that drink is better for some and worse for others?

I will say that on the calorie front , you can't take in more that you let out for any length of time, that wine packs on the cals. My gf was wondering why she was gaining lbs. I showed her a couple empty bottles of wine!

I tend to question anything I feel the need I have to have besides water and food and sex of course!
Originally Posted by WTF
Wine packs on the carbs!

The low carb alternative is Famous Grouse!
Several ways to meditate. Mine is shopping, traveling, playing my piano, playing tennis, reading sex novels... what's yours? lol. Playing tennis is a high in itself. Originally Posted by Naomi4u
my god, you out - consciousness explore - me by far. I just stick to the usual: shopping, having cybersex, writing on eccie, screwing up marshall
Wine packs on the carbs!

The low carb alternative is Famous Grouse! Originally Posted by EJunkie
Famous Grouse is a wine? I'll have to look it up. But I do LOVE carbs...
I eat fairly healthily (lots of veggies, fruits, whole grains, usually choose non-processed foods) because I feel better physically and mentally when I do. I have more energy/am less sluggish, am more clear-headed, and my mood is more positive. Plus, I like the way "healthy stuff" tastes. Always have. Yeah, I was that kid who loved Brussels sprouts.

But I also love wine, beer, Skittles, and Oreo cookies (regular kind, not those peanut butter or double-stuffed abominations). So, while I do eat food that's better for me more often than food that's unhealthy or indeterminately unhealthy, it's not an either/or situation for me. Except when it comes to Oreos -- I'm an Oreo purist.

On the diet soda vs. regular soda debate: I don't drink a lot of either, but when I do I usually choose the sugar-free/HFCS-free version. I think the sugar high and subsequent crash and extra 200+ calories are worse for me than occasional exposure to chemicals that may or may not actually have detrimental effects (at least, that have debateably negative effects for non-rodent mammals outside the state of California).

Edited to add:
Leah: I can't believe people criticized you for having a glass of wine in your photos! That's awful. I have one right there in my banner below. Thankfully no one has ever had the gall to tell me they don't like it. I guess I wouldn't care if they did; it was delicious! Originally Posted by Carrie Hillcrest

Yes, I love Brussels sprouts and other healthy foods too, but it's nice to see a lot of people here agree - whatever you like is good for you!

I think a lot of people are just out of touch with what they like - I can't believe that chocolate or heroin are regular needs, but I do think things like coffee, alcohol, chocolate and even dope (majiruana) are just fine in moderation. 'Moderation' is relative to who we individually are. Some of us are not moved by amounts that would definitely do others in.

(Chocolate and dope aren't things I'm into, just observing...)
Famous Grouse is a wine? I'll have to look it up. But I do LOVE carbs... Originally Posted by Leah Ireland
It is a brand of Scotch.

I believe his point was that if you want to have drinks & are counting calories, spirits* are your most diet-friendly option.

*just don't mix them a sugary mixer, in which case you maybe worse off calorie-wise than beer or wine
It is a brand of Scotch.

I believe his point was that if you want to have drinks & are counting calories, spirits* are your most diet-friendly option.

*just don't mix them a sugary mixer, in which case you maybe worse off calorie-wise than beer or wine Originally Posted by atlcomedy

Correct, Famous Grouse is a blended scotch.

And it has zero carbs, sow if you are on a low carb diet, rather than a low calorie diet, it's a good choice.

IMO anyways