The MXT135 Equalizer

My understanding is that state departments of public safety typically own a number of armored personnel carriers and various weapons systems not typically utilized by local police departments..

My only point, essentially, is that quite a bit of hardware has been purchased by police departments of smaller towns and suburbs, some of which have fairly low historical crime rates.

Although cities may get some surplus stuff cheaply, I doubt that most of it's likely to be inexpensive to maintain and operate year after year. Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight
Most is "loaned" on a "subject to recall" basis with a prohibition against selling or otherwise transferring from the agency .... several governmental agencies participate in the "lending" program ... when post-911 activities ramped up AR-15s were "pulled back" for instance .... NASA has robotics "on the shelf" as "experimental prototypes" that are "loaned out" to special teams ..... and there are multi-agency task forces .. who share ... and spread the "upkeep" costs among the agencies involved by "allowing" their partners to "keep" the equipment ... since 911 there has been an effort to "share" more among smaller agencies and to participate in collective efforts ... even train together and meet regularly.

The bottom line is .. they have to give it back if requested .. and some are just bought:

Most is "loaned" on a "subject to recall" basis with a prohibition against selling or otherwise transferring from the agency .... several governmental agencies participate in the "lending" program ... when post-911 activities ramped up AR-15s were "pulled back" for instance .... NASA has robotics "on the shelf" as "experimental prototypes" that are "loaned out" to special teams ..... and there are multi-agency task forces .. who share ... and spread the "upkeep" costs among the agencies involved by "allowing" their partners to "keep" the equipment ... since 911 there has been an effort to "share" more among smaller agencies and to participate in collective efforts ... even train together and meet regularly.

The bottom line is .. they have to give it back if requested .. and some are just bought:

Originally Posted by LexusLover

HA! Is that the Clarksville border patrol, LLIdiot?
I think the problem is that if you give a police department an armored vehicle then they want to use it for PR purposes. The tactical unit will create a strategy around that vehicle and they will start rolling out the armored personnel carrier at the drop of the proverbial hat. Taking to the logical conclusion would be to replace all police cruisers with some kind of armored Humvee. Imagine the US with armored vehicles roaming the streets on patrol. Arming them would follow.

IB had the picture. A privately built, civilian command post that could be lightly armored is a much better idea. It is a command post and not an enforcement vehicle.
HA! Is that the Clarksville border patrol, LLIdiot? Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
Still can't read maps! Geeezzzzz. Now you have Clarksville all the way to Mexico.

When will you quit?
When the <censored subject> runs out.
When the <censored subject> runs out. Originally Posted by gnadfly
Is that a "pre-existing condition"?
  • Old-T
  • 01-14-2014, 06:40 AM
You forgot to mention some US president trying to buy prestige from our enemies. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
You're right. I forgot the Ronnie and Ollie Show.
  • Old-T
  • 01-15-2014, 07:40 AM
Strange how quickly this thread died. JDB was all hot to beat a president's ass but seemed to lose interest real fast. Why would that be?
You're right. I forgot the Ronnie and Ollie Show. Originally Posted by Old-T
Thatcher "had their back" and took care of it.