1st Time Gun Buyer

+1 for Bullet Trap gun rental. Try as many as you can, different calibers and price points to see what fits. You may even have a friend or two that can help. We shoot there about once a week to stay proficient. Originally Posted by one4all00
Agree with Bullet Trap, and also try GunGearToGo

http://www.bullettrapinc.com/

http://gungeartogo.com/

Both offer training, not just CHL, but one-on-one.

As for guns - what ever you are comfortable with. Try out the rentals at Bullet Trap.
Thanks everyone for the advice.. Lots of choices and homework to do. Thanks
In addition to CHL classes, many ranges have New Shooter classes for the novice. Try this out first before investing in a CHL class.
I WOULD NOT use a shotgun for home self-defense.

Yes it can be deadly but you also have to use two hands to operate. I would rather have a free hand for a flashlight or a cell phone.
sig or bust
Nothing wrong with being a Glocktard either.
Grabagun in Coppell << Grabagun.com >>
Their website will tell you if your choice of weapon is in stock or not and I believe they have the best overall prices in the area.

Another note, don't be a Glocktard....if you like one after checking it fine, but don't just buy one because lots others say they're great or have one. They've been popular because their police pricing is very low and cities like cheap. Many localities are now switching to Smith and Wesson M&Ps as their cost is quite competitive and they build a better weapon. If Glock truly was "Perfection" as they advertise, why are there so many after market items available for them?

As you're in Plano, check at the Bullet Trap on Plano Rd. They have a range and rental guns so you may try various pistols to see what you might like. The people there will point you in the right direction and there is no obligation to purchase from them.

c.a. Originally Posted by Chainsaw Anthropologist
Glocktard? Dammit man.

I actually felt like you in the infancy of my pistol days and went strictly 1911. Had a Colt custom shop CCO and a Springfield TRP operator. I loved them, but then I went to the range with a buddy that had all glocks. I shot his gun a lot, and loved the feel of it in my hand. The grip angle is different, and it was natural in my hand. I ended up buying a piece of combat tupperware and have put it through some serious paces. Then I bought another. Glock isn't bad. It's actually a great pistol. I tell everybody like this, go and try a few both in your hand at the store and a the range. See what fits YOU. Don't rely on what your buddy likes. Find what YOU like, buy it, and take it to the range. Train, train, train. Don't just take a CHL class and be done. Take a pistol class, maybe two. Go once a month and shoot. Get used to it, make it an extension of your body. Then when it's time to grab it and go, it's natural, not one more complicated thing in an already complicated situation.
I WOULD NOT use a shotgun for home self-defense.

Yes it can be deadly but you also have to use two hands to operate. I would rather have a free hand for a flashlight or a cell phone. Originally Posted by LargeBreastFan
That is HORRIBLE advice. You are basically advising an inexpierenced / non-shooter to manipulate a weapon with one hand. Not to mention it a extremely easy to outfit any number of weapon lights and other accessories to a home defense shotgun.
So definately some novice gun classes.. time at the range.. etc. Now after all this the question is handgun or shotgun. I guess getting both would solve that huh!
lol at bashing a business for raising it's prices during a shortage.
Johnny, you can never have too many.
That is HORRIBLE advice. You are basically advising an inexpierenced / non-shooter to manipulate a weapon with one hand. Not to mention it a extremely easy to outfit any number of weapon lights and other accessories to a home defense shotgun. Originally Posted by Chaataca
Horrible is a strong word. Maybe "limited" is a better choice. You could duct-tape a flashlight to the barrel and then attach your cell phone with velcro to the stock. But still, it's no picnic to sleep with a shotgun under your pillow.
Pump shotguns are best though. Just that sound of cocking it alone will kill most intruders.
Cock it over and over like in the movies.
I've noticed they never have a round hit the floor....oh, forgot, I already chambered a shell.
So definately some novice gun classes.. time at the range.. etc. Now after all this the question is handgun or shotgun. I guess getting both would solve that huh! Originally Posted by johnnypaycheck
Then you should check out the Taurus Judge revolver. It shoots .410 shotgun shells and .45 cal. bullets.

Also, keep in mind that some gun ranges do not allow shotgun, magnum and other weaponry, etc. to be used. Check with the range you'll be going to to see what their rules are.
There is good advice as to go hold every gun you like. I went to Cabelas and handled every compact and subcompact they had when I bought a new gun. I went to Gander Mountain to see what else they had. I then went to a gun range, Burleson, and fired several on my list. I personally gravitated to Glock. I qualified my chl with a Glock 23, 40 cal. It was the best for me. Heavy in my hand, grips fit my fat fingers, and it dropped back on target after every round.
Since then, I have purchased several more. Glock 26, 9mm subcompact and a Glock 30, .45 compact. Muzzle flash on the .45 will scare you to death in the dark if nothing else.

Call me a Glocktard of ya will.... I do have a Kimber 1911 among the toys too
Johnny, you can never have too many. Originally Posted by Smokin
You're right about that!!