WARNING - the thoughts, ideas, and information contained in PMs, emails and other private forms of communication are NOT protected under ECCIE rules - only the exact content!

This falls in to the "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" mantra or the Sgt Shultz corollary "I see nothing, I hear nothing, I know nothing". If both parties of the Private Message follow those dictates, no problem. If one party doesn't follow those dictates, your dick is left swinging in the wind. One more "rule" to follow-- doveryai no proveryai (trust but verify). Trust the other person on the other end of a PM with a grain of salt. Don't go revealing info that you don't want to be public unless you really, really trust the other person.
This falls in to the "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" mantra or the Sgt Shultz corollary "I see nothing, I hear nothing, I know nothing". If both parties of the Private Message follow those dictates, no problem. If one party doesn't follow those dictates, your dick is left swinging in the wind. One more "rule" to follow-- doveryai no proveryai (trust but verify). Trust the other person on the other end of a PM with a grain of salt. Don't go revealing info that you don't want to be public unless you really, really trust the other person. Originally Posted by Cpalmson
This is it!

For this forum and any other SHMB

Rules are just rules and they will be broken.

PM is nothing more than a convenient way of sending messages to other members. It saves us the trouble of putting our anonymous/hobby email (which we all should have) our sig lines.

There is another human being on the other end of the PM that will do with it what he chooses. There's no magic encryption of the other end that guarantees it remains private.

You should exercise the same caution you would in any other direct message you would send to that member. How well do you know him? What is his post history? Does substance of his posts suggest he will exercise discretion? Do you have a history of corresponding and sharing information with him, etc. etc. etc.

That this is even a discussion is somewhat amusing.
Rules are just rules and they will be broken. Originally Posted by atlcomedy
Well, they're “more what you’d call ‘guidelines’ than actual rules”... welcome aboard the Black Pearl
Except y'all are forgetting that in this case, no guidelines were violated...at all...
I guess I fell off the turnip truck because I thought it was a RULE that you could not reveal the content of PM's and I have seen a number of posts where mods have deleted PM contents. Maybe that was on another board, IDK. It seems to me that it is a pettifogger's distinction to have a rule that forbids copying but allows any other reporting of the communication.

I suppose I'll have to be more careful slandering board heros in PM's.
Yep...you just fell off the turnip truck...
isn't there a rule against using the word "pettifogger" in any communication....ever?
Except y'all are forgetting that in this case, no guidelines were violated...at all... Originally Posted by Wakeup
Yep, he's just now realizing most members here are totally devoid of integrity! That the saying bros before hoes is crock of shit to most members here!

I will now keep my dumb ass remarks in the ML where they are sacrosanct. But then again, they're not really immune there either!
Why not?
I like to know which lines I am not crossing.

Can a mod/admin/owner confirm or dis-confirm the following publicly...?

This,

#9 - No form of private communications between members are to be posted in our forums. This includes the contents of emails, PMs, IMs, private chat logs, privately shared images, etc. This is an invasion of another's privacy and will not be allowed.

Means,

Paraphrasing content from a PM and posting it does not violate Guideline #9.
Copying/pasting content from a PM and posting it violates Guideline #9.
... That the saying bros before hoes is crock of shit to most members here! ... Originally Posted by Louigi
Now, there I will agree. What you call "hoes" (I assume you mean working women) come before "bros" (I assume you mean such as you and I) by many miles, as far as I'm concerned.
the problem seems to be an increasing amount of selective enforcement.
Except y'all are forgetting that in this case, no guidelines were violated...at all... Originally Posted by Wakeup
I like to know which lines I am not crossing.

Can a mod/admin/owner confirm or dis-confirm the following publicly...?

This,

#9 - No form of private communications between members are to be posted in our forums. This includes the contents of emails, PMs, IMs, private chat logs, privately shared images, etc. This is an invasion of another's privacy and will not be allowed. Originally Posted by emptywallet
Oops, it seems like there is a guideline about not posting private communications. Or am I reading the text of the guideline incorrectly? Whether it is wise to place trust in the guideline is a different issue.

isn't there a rule against using the word "pettifogger" in any communication....ever? Originally Posted by john_deere
There is, you just can't find it, but I break it with impunity. It is a useful and evocative word. I also wear bib overalls when I ride on that turnip truck.
the problem seems to be an increasing amount of selective enforcement. Originally Posted by john_deere
And it's not a new circumstance. Not limited to the privacy guidelines.
just disable your messaging and problem solved