latest CDC data on gun deaths in america

So if people want to commit suicide and they don't have access to a firearm, they won't kill themselves?

They won't use another method that's a whole lot easier to go through with, less violent, and less messy to begin with? Originally Posted by grean

FOlks will always find a way to off themselves. Guns or no guns.
You hear about the Aggie who tried to kill himself by letting his car idle in the garage for 2 days? It was a Tesla.
Originally Posted by gnadfly
You hear about the Aggie Kamikaze pilot? He flew 4 missions.
You hear about the Aggie who tried to kill himself by letting his car idle in the garage for 2 days? It was a Tesla.

The meat of the article:
CNN's analysis also showed that 23,854 people died from suicide by guns in 2017, the highest number in 18 years. That's a difference of more than 7,000 deaths compared with 16,599 suicide deaths by guns in 1999.

The age-adjusted rate of suicide deaths by firearm rose from 6.0 in 1999 to 6.9 in 2017.

Firearm deaths in the data include gun deaths by homicide and suicide, unintentional deaths, deaths in war or legal interventions, and deaths that are undetermined.

When the data are analyzed by race and gender, they show that white men made up 23,927 of the total 39,773 firearm deaths last year, including suicides.

In 2017, the age-adjusted rate of suicide deaths by firearm was highest among white men at 14 per 100,000 -- compared with:

2.2 among white women
6.1 among black men
0.7 among black women
3.0 among Asian men
0.5 among Asian women
9.3 among American Indian or Alaska Native men
1.4 among American Indian or Alaska Native women Originally Posted by gnadfly
0.0 among Muslim men - they do not commit suicide, I've been told.

I wish more liberals would commit suicide.
  • WTF
  • 12-14-2018, 03:36 PM
FOlks will always find a way to off themselves. Guns or no guns. Originally Posted by garhkal
Not according to the stats.

Personally, I'd like to have a business where I could make their wish come true.
  • oeb11
  • 12-14-2018, 04:00 PM
WTF - you can
Go to med school, residency - and then Oregon with a valid license
Join their suicide medical review boards.
You can help people off themselves.
I wish more liberals would commit suicide. Originally Posted by friendly fred
Fred, your posts are getting more offensive. Even if you are making such statements tongue-in-cheek.
Not according to the stats.

Personally, I'd like to have a business where I could make their wish come true. Originally Posted by WTF
If you join the Mob, that could be your job!!

Plus, it would be subcontracting to the general contractor, in this case the Capo, and you could prove out your desire to have individual contractors take responsibility for their own taxes!!
suicide, war (really) the question should be why are these included , to push the stats up of course , People will jump off a bridge
  • WTF
  • 12-15-2018, 10:11 AM
WTF - you can
Go to med school, residency - and then Oregon with a valid license
Join their suicide medical review boards.
You can help people off themselves. Originally Posted by oeb11
Lol...true.

Should be a lot less trouble than that though.
  • WTF
  • 12-15-2018, 10:12 AM

. Originally Posted by friendly fred
Tell that to our military and the 9/11 victims.
  • grean
  • 12-15-2018, 11:09 AM
Actually statistics show that when a gun is in the home, the probability that someone in the home will commit suicide is much higher. Statistics also show that when a gun is in the home, the probability that someone in the home will be the victim of a homicide is higher.

"Every study that has examined the issue to date has found that within the U.S., access to firearms is associated with increased suicide risk."

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/means-m...s-matter/risk/

https://www.vox.com/2015/10/1/18000520/gun-risk-death

"A new survey in the Annals of Internal Medicine narrows down some of the causal relationship between guns and death by finding conclusively that having a gun in your home makes you more likely to successfully attempt suicide. The authors of the survey also found with a lesser degree of certainty that people with guns in their home are more likely to be the victims of a homicide."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/study-g...homicide-risk/ Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX
Here's the heart of the issue. For whatever reason that people commit suicide, it doesn't mean others should have their rights infringed.

How many people committed suicide by some other method even though they had access to a gun?

How many of the people in those studies that said they would have killed themseves if they had a gun are just full of shit? After being asked in the study, months or years later, how many killed themselves anyway by some other method?

I wish more liberals would commit suicide. Originally Posted by friendly fred

muslims are not immune from suicide.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...-stigma-haydar

muslim clerics do not allow dead muslim suicides to enter their mosques.