Whiskeys, Bourbons and Scotch

• babsi
  • 01-02-2022, 10:31 AM
Top shelf..top notch... special occasions... I just finished one that I received as an xmas gift several years ago. If you want to get trashed far cheaper slop out there! I think worst high proof experience I ever had was 151 rum... That's more volatile than gasoline...
Bourbon or scotch on the rocks is the most frequent choice for me at home or out.
This is day to day...not top shelf or favorites or crazy-expensive-exotics...
For ages my goto is 80 (now 81) proof Wild Turkey. For scotch GOTO is actually a blend. Giove Famous Grouse a shot. Originally Posted by babsi
Famous Grouse is a solid scotch and not expensive. Windsor is a solid Whiskey.
Don't Irish whiskies deserve an honorable mention? Jameson, Bushmills, Tullamore Dew.
Don't Irish whiskies deserve an honorable mention? Jameson, Bushmills, Tullamore Dew. Originally Posted by lustylad
I enjoy all 3.
Don't Irish whiskies deserve an honorable mention? Jameson, Bushmills, Tullamore Dew. Originally Posted by lustylad
By all means... keep going. No need to stop at 3
By all means... keep going. No need to stop at 3 Originally Posted by HDGristle
Maybe this will help. Anyone care to vouch for them? I can't afford to try 'em all.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/le...irish-whiskey/

Dead Rabbit

Redbreast

Teeling

Sexton

Knappogue Castle

Green Spot

Powers Gold Label

Tyrconnell

Slane
I enjoyed Redbreast. Haven't touched the rest. I'd take a bottle of that at the going rate any day over a pile of the poorer decisions I've made with my money.
Blanton's or Angels Envy are great for sipping. Makers for Manhattans. I did get a gift of Taliskers dark storm single malt scotch but it was very heavy w the charcoal oak overtones. Over ice it was ok but not smooth otherwise
Top shelf..top notch... special occasions... I just finished one that I received as an xmas gift several years ago. If you want to get trashed far cheaper slop out there! I think worst high proof experience I ever had was 151 rum... That's more volatile than gasoline... Originally Posted by babsi
Picked up a jar of Midnight Moon, for $20 it was a cheap drunk. Definitely needs to be mixed with something.
McLaughlin off of rt79 heading to Cranberry is yummy
How many palates have shifted towards the cask or barrel strengths?

I've found myself enjoying more single barrels in the range of 110 to 130 proof over the past 3 years. Yet found many of them surprisingly smoother than I would have thought and experimenting between neat or with a drop of two of water to find the sweet spot, I find myself sticking more and more to neat.
Bump!!!!! I mentioned Bookers. The State Stores carry it. 129 proof and smooth. Gotta balance things out!!!

http://www.bookersbourbon.com/home
Appreciate the suggestion, again.

Had it, but would pick WT Rare Breed or Elijah Craig BP over Bookers.

Have you tried Smoke Wagon Uncut/ Unfiltered or Angel's Envy CS?. Very nice.
Appreciate the suggestion, again.

Had it, but would pick WT Rare Breed or Elijah Craig BP over Bookers.

Have you tried Smoke Wagon Uncut/ Unfiltered or Angel's Envy CS?. Very nice. Originally Posted by HDGristle
Angels Envy is one of my favorites, as I stated previously. It’s usually out of stock in the stores close to me. The others you mentioned I haven’t tried.

BTW, I forgot I thawed an 1 1/2 inch strip steak. I guess I’ll have to throw it my Weber Kettle tomorrow for a reverse sear. I’ll smoke a Cuban and sip something.
That's a good evening any night of the week