New CBO numbers: Obamacare will cost the US 2.5 million jobs

but, according to the White House, that is a good thing. A couple of years ago the CBO said that 650,000 jobs would be lost directly because of Obamacare. That number has be adjusted to 2.3 million jobs lost. The White House response? They do not deny it at all but they are spinning it that people will be more free to do art, hobbies, spend time with their families, or start their own business (which will be next to impossible with all the EPA, IRS, and Obamacare regs).

The important take away is they do not deny the report. Everything else is crap (as it came from the White House).

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...re_116951.html

Jason Furman for the White House: workers will choose to work less rather than work at a part time job caused directly by Obamacare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3sYy9DmR4E Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn

And now....some facts regarding what the CBO report actually said. Conveniently enough, straight from the mouth of Paul Ryan:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...gop-job-losses

At least one Republican is setting the record straight on what the Congressional Budget Office actually said this week about Obamacare and its effect on jobs.
House Budget Chair Paul Ryan (R-WI) explained in a Wednesday hearing with CBO director Steven Elmendorf that the health care reform law wouldn't cost the U.S. economy more than 2 million jobs, as many of his colleagues alleged, but that Americans would choose to work less.

"I want to make sure we accurately understand what it is you are saying," Ryan said, before leading Elmendorf through a series of questions to explain the report and its findings.

Ryan and Elmendorf combined to explain that Obamacare would lead to a decrease in the number of hours worked by up to 2 percent in 2024. Most of that drop, the CBO said, would be the result of Americans choosing not to work, for various reasons, but not because employers would want to hire fewer workers on account of the law. Translate those lost hours into full-time employment and it equals up to 2.5 million jobs by 2024. But that's not the same as jobs being cut.

"Just to understand, it is not that employers are laying people off," Ryan said.
"That is right," Elmendorf said.

That's a pretty direct contradiction for the attack adopted by many GOPers following the report's release. Senate Republicans blasted out an email, saying that Obamacare would "print more pink slips." Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) and others alleged that the law would "cost" the country more than 2 million jobs. A number of conservative outlets framed the report as "pushing" Americans out of the workforce, rather than it being of their own volition.

To be clear, Ryan wasn't thrilled with the CBO's finding. He said he was "troubled" by the report because it suggested that Obamacare was encouraging Americans "not to get on the ladder of life, to begin working, getting the dignity of work, getting more opportunities, rising the income, joining the middle class."
"This means fewer people will do that," he said.

But, after a day in which official Washington spent most of its energy debating what the CBO report actually said, Ryan did make a point to get the truth out in the open.
  • CJ7
  • 02-05-2014, 12:54 PM
but, according to the White House, that is a good thing. A couple of years ago the CBO said that 650,000 jobs would be lost directly because of Obamacare. That number has be adjusted to 2.3 million jobs lost. The White House response? They do not deny it at all but they are spinning it that people will be more free to do art, hobbies, spend time with their families, or start their own business (which will be next to impossible with all the EPA, IRS, and Obamacare regs).

The important take away is they do not deny the report. Everything else is crap (as it came from the White House).

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...re_116951.html

Jason Furman for the White House: workers will choose to work less rather than work at a part time job caused directly by Obamacare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3sYy9DmR4E Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn

do you choose to work less because you have insurance?
I never said that people got fired.

People will stop working, lower income people and the jobs won't be filled. They will eventually disappear and "BE GONE". and those people will not "WORK ANYMORE" to the tune of 2.3 MILLION JOBS.
  • CJ7
  • 02-05-2014, 02:18 PM

People will stop working, lower income people and the jobs won't be filled. They will eventually disappear and "BE GONE". and those people will not "WORK ANYMORE" to the tune of 2.3 MILLION JOBS. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
you didn't answer the question either

will YOU choose to work less rather than work at a part time job caused directly by Obamacare.
Even the French are laughing at us...
  • CJ7
  • 02-05-2014, 02:41 PM
Even the French are laughing at us... Originally Posted by IIFFOFRDB

everyone is laughing at you and JD
  • Doove
  • 02-05-2014, 02:49 PM
The French have been laughing at us since Freedom Fries.

Beyond that, we can assume those in here are upset that people now have the option of staying at home with their kids rather than being forced to go to work in order to have health insurance.

Kind of like how they're upset that people can no longer be kicked off their insurance plan for getting sick. And how they're upset that people can now get insurance even if they have a pre-existing condition.

Must suck being a tea-party conservative nutcase whackjob.
I don't suppose it matters because fundamentally you're going to believe what you want. And you're going to listen to assholes who agree with you and tell everyone else what an idiot they are. But if you care, factcheck.org lists this as a big fat misrepresentation.

http://www.factcheck.org/2014/02/the...g-not-to-work/

Read it. The same article also points out the myth (although plausible sounding) that millions will be (or have been) moved from full-time to part-time employment.

We get it, Republican's hate Obama, Obama care, etc... But if you're just going to make shit up, please do it quietly in your own circles.
  • CJ7
  • 02-05-2014, 04:00 PM
I don't suppose it matters because fundamentally you're going to believe what you want. And you're going to listen to assholes who agree with you and tell everyone else what an idiot they are. But if you care, factcheck.org lists this as a big fat misrepresentation.

http://www.factcheck.org/2014/02/the...g-not-to-work/

Read it. The same article also points out the myth (although plausible sounding) that millions will be (or have been) moved from full-time to part-time employment.

We get it, Republican's hate Obama, Obama care, etc... But if you're just going to make shit up, please do it quietly in your own circles. Originally Posted by Luv4Fun

stand by, the righties will be right along and discredit fact check for all they're worth ... facts or little else make a shit to them,,, bullshit lies and conspiracy crap are their backbone .... and they wonder why in hell they can't win an election
I will not work just for health insurance, but Obamacare didn't change that, I've always thought enslaving one's self to a job just for benefits was weak, but I suck as a capitalist.

It is ridiculous to say people working less hours equates to 2.5 million less jobs. I understand the statistical aspect of having to measure FT employees, but on the other hand, if everybody eats 2% less of their piece of pizza, you can't assemble 2.5 million pies.

I was contemplating this thread and this video:

http://eccie.net/showpost.php?p=1054915512&postcount=22

and it occurred to me that it is likely the insurance, and subsequently, of course, the ACA, by extension, that is the weapon of control. I've seen corporate America bully people around, thinking they had no options because they couldn't afford to lose their insurance. The ACA is not the start of that.
  • WTF
  • 02-05-2014, 04:59 PM

People will stop working, lower income people and the jobs won't be filled. They will eventually disappear and "BE GONE". and those people will not "WORK ANYMORE" to the tune of 2.3 MILLION JOBS. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
Fucking idiots never seem to check their so called facts.
http://news.msn.com/us/fact-check-wi...3-million-jobs

Shortly after the CBO released the report that updated, and nearly tripled, its initial estimate on the reduction in the supply of labor due to the Affordable Care Act, Cantor fired off two messages via Twitter.
Cantor, Feb. 4: The CBO's latest report confirms what Republicans have been saying for years now.
Under Obamacare, millions of hardworking Americans will lose their jobs and those who keep them will see their hours and wages reduced.
That's not what the CBO report said. The report estimated a reduction in full-time-equivalent employment of about 2.3 million by 2021. But the drop is "almost entirely" due to a reduction in "the amount of labor that workers choose to supply" (see pages 117-127).
CBO, Feb. 4: The estimated reduction stems almost entirely from a net decline in the amount of labor that workers choose to supply, rather than from a net drop in businesses' demand for labor, so it will appear almost entirely as a reduction in labor force participation and in hours worked relative to what would have occurred otherwise rather than as an increase in unemployment (that is, more workers seeking but not finding jobs) or underemployment (such as part-time workers who would prefer to work more hours per week).
That last part — which notes that the drop is not due to an increase in unemployment or underemployment — makes clear that comments like Cantor's are misleading.
  • Doove
  • 02-05-2014, 06:26 PM
Funny, the lack of outrage when these yahoos are lied to with something they want to hear.
Everything in JD's world is a tragedy..

Uh oh....bitch-slapped and time to back-pedal.
Ocommiecare will save your family $2500.00 a year... You can keep your doc & insurance... Americans working less is a good thing... What ever you say Frank Marshall Davis JR