Lindsay Graham wants to change electoral process

There is a realistic scenario that the outcome of the election could depend on this one electoral vote. If Harris wins it the electoral college vote count would be 270 - 268 Harris. If Trump were to win this one vote the count would be a tie 269 -269. The lower house takes a vote if there was a tie (right now the lower house has more republicans). This is why Sen Graham is trying to get it changed.

The scenario needed for there to be a tie is Trump would have to win swing states Penn and Ariz and that one 1 vote district in Nebraska (this assumes that Harris has won Mich, Wisc,Nev and North Carolina). In this scenario you would get a 269 -269 tie. Originally Posted by adav8s28

My guess is odds of winning the Powerball jackpot about the same.

Too many pundits speeding too much time coming up with unlikely scenarios just to keep busy it seems.
My guess is odds of winning the Powerball jackpot about the same.

Too many pundits speeding too much time coming up with unlikely scenarios just to keep busy it seems. Originally Posted by farmstud60
In the next election a 269-269 tie is quite plausible. The odds are much less than 1 in a billion. Why? Because the possibility factor is based on 16 swing states not 60 random numbers.

Why do you think Senator Graham is trying so hard to have Nebraska be a winner take all state? In Presidential elections Nebraska usually votes for the Republican. In the last election Biden got that one vote. Things would have to fall a certain way for a 269 - 269 tie (Trump would have to win Penn and that one electoral college vote in that specific district of Nebraska).

I would agree with that if Trump does not win Penn a 269 -269 tie is very unlikely. The fact that Nebraska is not a winner take all state a 269 -269 tie could happen.
The point of the post is simple. Why would any congressman from a state outside of the one I question try to imply, insert or force pressure on another states operations?

The answer is he was either sent, or he is so brassingly arrogant in thinking he can talk sense to those corn farmer's of Nebraska...despite the state having vetted and voted on how they pass electoral votes.

Anything else is a manifestation of trying to manipulate destiny.

The GOP is scared and throwing anything they can, even by underhanded actions like LADY G has tried.

The GOP is corrupt to it's core
The GOP is corrupt to it's core Originally Posted by eyecu2

Thanks for the laugh.

The point of the post is simple. Why would any congressman from a state outside of the one I question try to imply, insert or force pressure on another states operations?

The answer is he was either sent, or he is so brassingly arrogant in thinking he can talk sense to those corn farmer's of Nebraska...despite the state having vetted and voted on how they pass electoral votes.

Anything else is a manifestation of trying to manipulate destiny.

The GOP is scared and throwing anything they can, even by underhanded actions like LADY G has tried.

The GOP is corrupt to it's core Originally Posted by eyecu2
Thanks for the laugh. Originally Posted by DEAR_JOHN
The GOP is not corrupt to it’s core, but I’m not laughing either.

Politicians on both sides are guilty of trying to rig elections. By passing dumb legislation like voter id laws, by packing courts, by changing election laws at the last minute that do little except to sow chaos and make voting in certain precincts harder, by removing polling places in certain locations like college campuses to make it harder for college students to vote, like throwing out ballots for stupid technical errors and keeping ex felons from voting even though a state law was passed that allowed them to.

Legislators and partisan judges limit voting all the time to benefit one side or the other. It’s the one thing that I hate about our system. It’s certainly not fair or truly representative and never has been. All we can do is try to make sure that the people we elect come up with a set of rules that we can all live with.

If anyone comes up with any please tell the Texas legislature to implement them because they are certainly not fair here.
If anyone comes up with any please tell the Texas legislature to implement them because they are certainly not fair here. Originally Posted by txdot-guy

I'm a Texan that has voted in several elections.

Now, I'm going to be honest, I'm not being sarcastic or playing a game, but please let me know what is unfair about Texas elections.

I go in, give them my drivers license and get a tag, I go into a booth and enter the tag number in the machine and vote. I never even needed the voter card I received in the mail.
I'm a Texan that has voted in several elections.

Now, I'm going to be honest, I'm not being sarcastic or playing a game, but please let me know what is unfair about Texas elections.

I go in, give them my drivers license and get a tag, I go into a booth and enter the tag number in the machine and vote. I never even needed the voter card I received in the mail. Originally Posted by DEAR_JOHN
Tarrant County GOP sought an election advantage with failed effort to shutter college voting locations
https://www.texastribune.org/2024/09...ion-advantage/

GOP bid to remove polling sites from Tarrant County college campuses fails
https://www.texastribune.org/2024/09...ting-location/

Anatomy of the Texas Gerrymander
Here’s how Texas Republicans crafted one of the most politically and racially skewed maps of this redistricting cycle.
https://www.brennancenter.org/our-wo...as-gerrymander

It’s my guess that the democrats do the same kind of thing in states like New York or California. It’s not right for either side to do.

It’s one of the things that I don’t like about the electoral college system we have. By using a winner take all system you disenfranchise millions of voters and the only people who count are the ones in certain swing states.
Quick reply, I live in Harris county (Houston) and I never heard about the stuff up in Fort Worth.

Gerrymandering is done all the time. Democrats have also gerrymandered.

Like I said, I go in and give them my drivers license, then vote. Naturally some in other states don't even want to do that. There are a lot of people who have crazy ideas about giving name and addresses to security to allow them in any building or place, or to vote.

Through work I've been to places 99.99% of the population has never been to. A nuclear power plant is one and an oil reserve in Freeport is another until the biden administration stripped the reserve of most of it's oil. Either way, it took an act of congress to get into these 2 places. It all starts with the drivers license, so I don't have a lot of patience about people playing games and refusing ID to get into places that require it or to vote.
Quick reply, I live in Harris county (Houston) and I never heard about the stuff up in Fort Worth.

Gerrymandering is done all the time. Democrats have also gerrymandered.

Like I said, I go in and give them my drivers license, then vote. Naturally some in other states don't even want to do that. There are a lot of people who have crazy ideas about giving name and addresses to security to allow them in any building or place, or to vote.

Through work I've been to places 99.99% of the population has never been to. A nuclear power plant is one and an oil reserve in Freeport is another until the biden administration stripped the reserve of most of it's oil. Either way, it took an act of congress to get into these 2 places. It all starts with the drivers license, so I don't have a lot of patience about people playing games and refusing ID to get into places that require it or to vote. Originally Posted by DEAR_JOHN
UMD Analysis: Millions of Americans Don’t Have ID Required to Vote
By Maryland Today Staff Apr 13, 2023

Millions of voting-age Americans lack a current government-issued photo ID, even as a growing number of states enact new or stricter voter ID requirements, according to an analysis released today by University of Maryland researchers and a leading voting rights organization.

The report from UMD’s Center for Democracy and Civic Engagement (CDCE) and VoteRiders, which focuses on ID education and assistance, analyzed data from the American National Election Studies’ 2020 Time-Series Study, a survey of voting-age Americans’ political attitudes and behaviors. Researchers zeroed in on responses about possession of a non-expired driver’s license, U.S. passport or other form of valid, government-issued photo ID, and found deep disparities.

“With the demographics most likely to lack valid voter ID being among the fastest-growing demographic groups in the country—including young people, people of color and particularly young people of color—the potential for voter ID laws to keep more eligible citizens from casting a ballot is likely to rise as well as we head toward the 2024 elections and beyond,” said Michael Hanmer, CDCE director, professor of government and politics and a co-author of the analysis.

Read the full article here:
https://today.umd.edu/umd-analysis-m...quired-to-vote
..........and the democrats, if they remain in power, will do everything they can do to change the Supreme Court by adding judges so the liberals will be in control.

Every time you liberals cry about something, it makes me laugh.

On topic reply, what is the context of your complaint? What does Graham want to change? How about making Nebraska a total vote state like every other state except Maine. You claim he wants to change the electoral process like it's something major, except it only effects 1 electoral vote.

Because harris and her staff are able to manipulate weak minded voters with the numerous lies to get their votes, I don't think this election will come down to one vote in Nebraska. It's amazing how some people hate this country so much they're willing to see America destroyed from the inside versus casting a vote for Trump. Originally Posted by DEAR_JOHN
And mitch & co didn't lean over backwards to change the balance of the court? But that ain't the point here.

I thought the maggies are all about state rights. Why would *they* want to poke their fingers from the Hill into the operations of a state? Hypocrites?