Text messages suck (the bad way)

But for most ( imho) of the Ladies on this board I dont think so. Originally Posted by harkontume
There are a lot more ladies with pimps on this board than you think. Some of them are pretty good at being invisible.
  • ezman
  • 08-02-2010, 07:00 AM
Not a great fan of texting, but can live with it in certain situations. I know that for some ladies, you can get an answer via text almost immediately, but might have to wait a few hours for a phone call.
There are a lot more ladies with pimps on this board than you think. Some of them are pretty good at being invisible. Originally Posted by GneissGuy
This might be off topic since the topic of this thread is text messaging. But I had first hand experience of a known provider having a pimp.

It was as follows, I called, no answer. Then I thought she called back but it was a "purse" (accidental) call. When I answered, rather than hearing her talk to me I heard a whole discussion between her an her pimp. It was interesting. As far as I know there has been no discussion of her having a pimp on this board.

Ah well. Another reason to hate texts. Had I texted it might have been the pimp answering.
My main gripe with regard to text-messaging is simply this: I lead an extraordinarily busy life. I don't have the time or the patience that it takes to conduct a 45minute series of ping-ponging text-messages when a simple 30 second phone conversation would have accomplished the same damned thing.

And you wanna know what else? and this just pisses me off. You always get a text-message at the most inopportune time. It never fails. And how about the fuck stick that can't appear to get the memo that you aren't available to "text pong" at that particular moment because, shit I don't know, maybe you MIGHT BE DRIVING AN AUTOMOBILE or something more appealing than using a telephone as a god damn typewriter.

In the time it takes me to text "can't text right now. I'm in traffic" I could have arranged for seventeen fucking appointments, stopped and got a bottle of crown, showered, and turned back the sheets if people would just use the mutha' fucking device for it's original purpose.........CALL!!!!

Originally Posted by SofaKingFun
Um. You're not expected to text back when you're busy. Just like you're not expected to call someone back when you're busy. Basic phone etiquette. The idea of you bothering to text someone to tell them you can't text is pretty funny. They'll figure out that you can't text when they don't see you responding to their messages.

Don't see how texting could be any more of an intrusion than calling unless you let it be. Technically calling is more of an intrusion because it rings several times, and then you have the second sound to notify you of your voicemail. But I just keep my phone on silent when I don't want to be bothered with annoying noises. When I am no longer busy and decide to check my phone and go through my texts, I rarely see anyone who has texted me more than once in a row without me having replied. Most people get it. Just like most people don't call you repeatedly when you didn't pick up. And it ALWAYS takes less time to go through text messages than it does to listen to voicemail.

The whole point of texting is convenience. You are giving the person you text the option to answer it anytime, when they're READY. A live conversation requires both people being available to talk at the same time. I think phone calls work well for people who spend a lot of time driving around by themselves (although booking appointments can't work in that setting because you can't access your calendar until you get to a stoplight). Or for people who have their own office with a closing door where they are allowed and expected to talk about whatever with whomever whenever. But most people spend most of their time in the company of others and nobody wants to listen to other people yapping away on their cell phone.

If someone does text you while you're driving and it's someone you actually want to talk to, try calling them back. If they're not a moron, they have their cell phone on silent or vibrate if they're with other people. They won't answer if they can't talk because they're at a restaurant, or in line at the 7-11, or with their mother at the pharmacy, or pretending to be working, or all the millions of other daily situations in which texting is more convenient than talking on the phone. But if they can answer, they will. Problem solved.
This might be off topic since the topic of this thread is text messaging. But I had first hand experience of a known provider having a pimp.

It was as follows, I called, no answer. Then I thought she called back but it was a "purse" (accidental) call. When I answered, rather than hearing her talk to me I heard a whole discussion between her an her pimp. It was interesting. As far as I know there has been no discussion of her having a pimp on this board.

Ah well. Another reason to hate texts. Had I texted it might have been the pimp answering. Originally Posted by chichisito
Are you sure it was a pimp? Like were they discussing her ads and rates and stuff? If a pimp/agency girl is representing herself on this board as Indie, I think the moderators should know about it. Because the pimp probably has access to her handle which means he has access to private ladies only areas.
Um. You're not expected to text back when you're busy. Just like you're not expected to call someone back when you're busy. Originally Posted by Sensual Sophia
I have no problem with texting being an option. I do have a problem with it being the only choice. Or with a lady who I've called on the phone unilaterally deciding to switch to texting without asking first.

And most of all, DO NOT TEXT ANYONE unless they've texted you first or said it's OK to text them. It might not be safe, it may cost the person receiving the text money. It's as bad as an unsolicited phone call.
  • 08-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Um. You're not expected to text back when you're busy. Just like you're not expected to call someone back when you're busy. Basic phone etiquette. The idea of you bothering to text someone to tell them you can't text is pretty funny. They'll figure out that you can't text when they don't see you responding to their messages.

Don't see how texting could be any more of an intrusion than calling unless you let it be. Technically calling is more of an intrusion because it rings several times, and then you have the second sound to notify you of your voicemail. But I just keep my phone on silent when I don't want to be bothered with annoying noises. When I am no longer busy and decide to check my phone and go through my texts, I rarely see anyone who has texted me more than once in a row without me having replied. Most people get it. Just like most people don't call you repeatedly when you didn't pick up. And it ALWAYS takes less time to go through text messages than it does to listen to voicemail.

The whole point of texting is convenience. You are giving the person you text the option to answer it anytime, when they're READY. A live conversation requires both people being available to talk at the same time. I think phone calls work well for people who spend a lot of time driving around by themselves (although booking appointments can't work in that setting because you can't access your calendar until you get to a stoplight). Or for people who have their own office with a closing door where they are allowed and expected to talk about whatever with whomever whenever. But most people spend most of their time in the company of others and nobody wants to listen to other people yapping away on their cell phone.

If someone does text you while you're driving and it's someone you actually want to talk to, try calling them back. If they're not a moron, they have their cell phone on silent or vibrate if they're with other people. They won't answer if they can't talk because they're at a restaurant, or in line at the 7-11, or with their mother at the pharmacy, or pretending to be working, or all the millions of other daily situations in which texting is more convenient than talking on the phone. But if they can answer, they will. Problem solved. Originally Posted by Sensual Sophia
Polite, friendly, intelligent, concise; sigh. I had a completely different response ready to go.

I will note it's likely an age thing. My nephew touch types text messages effortlessly, doesn't slow him down at all. I usually look at the phone; I *can* do it without looking, since he mocked me relentlessly until I picked it up, but it slows me down a lot. Old guys don't necessarily grasp the advantages of asynchronous communication, and seem to be bad at it; Sofaking says it takes him 45 minutes of text to communicate 30 seconds of speech, and I believe him, but it's not the SMS's fault, it's just an example of anachronistic gross incompetence; compared a cell phone to a typewriter, ouch.

And therein a pearl of wisdom; providers are likely younger than hobbyists, so technological preferences should be expected to differ.
There are a lot more ladies with pimps on this board than you think. Some of them are pretty good at being invisible. Originally Posted by GneissGuy

you are correct!!

I dont mind texting but I do like to hear their voice first before we meet,,
I have no problem with texting being an option. I do have a problem with it being the only choice. Or with a lady who I've called on the phone unilaterally deciding to switch to texting without asking first. Originally Posted by GneissGuy
I agree. Bad business practice. Anyone with that policy loses out on a lot of potential clients. Fortunately, few have that policy.

And most of all, DO NOT TEXT ANYONE unless they've texted you first or said it's OK to text them. It might not be safe, it may cost the person receiving the text money. It's as bad as an unsolicited phone call. Originally Posted by GneissGuy
Yeah... def true in hobby. I think in real everyday life, people without unlimited texting are fewer and farther between. Most all my friends, family, coworkers, etc text as a regular way of interacting. I don't think I'd try texting my Grandma though.
Polite, friendly, intelligent, concise; sigh. I had a completely different response ready to go.

I will note it's likely an age thing. My nephew touch types text messages effortlessly, doesn't slow him down at all. I usually look at the phone; I *can* do it without looking, since he mocked me relentlessly until I picked it up, but it slows me down a lot. Old guys don't necessarily grasp the advantages of asynchronous communication, and seem to be bad at it; Sofaking says it takes him 45 minutes of text to communicate 30 seconds of speech, and I believe him, but it's not the SMS's fault, it's just an example of anachronistic gross incompetence; compared a cell phone to a typewriter, ouch.

And therein a pearl of wisdom; providers are likely younger than hobbyists, so technological preferences should be expected to differ. Originally Posted by 78704
Sofaking is so young though. I'm sure it's just a personal preference in his case.
I know for a fact that phone co's keep a record of all text messages for at least 2 years.
These messages are available to LE and or the person who is paying for the phone.
That is a good reason not to text, IMO. Plus, sometimes texts messages arrive hours later than sent.
These messages are available to LE and or the person who is paying for the phone. Originally Posted by Ivanhoe
Or for anyone who knows how to manipulate the customer service reps at the phone company, pay one of the services that knows how to manipulate them, do a little hacking, etc. Remember the "pretexting" scandal where HP executives stole phone records for members of their board of directors?
I know for a fact that phone co's keep a record of all text messages for at least 2 years.
These messages are available to LE and or the person who is paying for the phone.
That is a good reason not to text, IMO. Plus, sometimes texts messages arrive hours later than sent. Originally Posted by Ivanhoe
As is true of email, though LE won't bother for misdemeanors. But thankfully we all use hobby phones and hobby emails with no connection to our real lives. Paying for minutes in cash adds a layer or security.

Another security tip that hasn't been mentioned. We should all be password protecting our hobby phones.
Those of us who pay for minutes are surely smart enough to do so in cash, of course. Right? Originally Posted by Sensual Sophia
I've wondered about this. If you buy a refill card at e.g. Target, does it really matter if you use cash or credit? How could they trace it back to you?
I've wondered about this. If you buy a refill card at e.g. Target, does it really matter if you use cash or credit? How could they trace it back to you? Originally Posted by blenderhead
You're right. I just edited my response. If you were an international terrorist, then maybe they would go to the trouble to check the serial number (if they have unique IDs) against Target's receipts for the day to see if a credit card was used. I think that level of worry is more appropriate for someone like Elliot Spitzer. If there is a way to trace the transaction, APD does not have the resources to waste on such a low level crime.