Life hacks/ Life pro tips

Insulating the first 20' is an attempt to prevent free convective circulation / heat loss from the tank itself.

The theory (somewhat correct) is that (with no water flowing for a long period of time) the hotter water in the tank has a lower density than the cooled off water in the vertical pipe leaving the tank...so the cooled off water in the vertical riser now has a greater density than what's in the tank...so the cooled off water sinks into the tank and is replaced by recently heated water...which then cools off and the cycle continues.

As a smart guy...I believe this theory to be true.

So, insulating the vertical section near the tank...might save enough money over 50 years to pay for the 3 dollar insulation...maybe.

There is no noticeable affect/change to the amount of hot water stored.

If you want to insulate your pipes to keep the flowing water near the source temperature during very cold attic scenarios, that would be a good thing.

If you want instant hot water, install a recirculation system.

If you want to save money, turn the fucking water heater off and take a cold shower.
Russ.....we might be related. Originally Posted by GlobeSpotter
Now it's just getting weird GS....I bet we could talk thermodynamics all day long.....
GS- good points. I would add that there are several variables that go into calculating savings; kwh used, the rate per kwh, size of water heater, gas or electric, and probably several others that aren't coming to mind right now.

Suffice it to say that if $3 insulation is going break one's bank, one should not insulate the piping.

I've read about several people saving anywhere from $5 to $15 in the first month.

I've also read that Russ feels he can speak about thermodynamics, so I take it all with a grain of salt.
I've also read that Russ feels he can speak about thermodynamics, so I take it all with a grain of salt. Originally Posted by Iron_Man
When working the end refining process in the frac industry, it helps to be familiar......
Now it's just getting weird GS....I bet we could talk thermodynamics all day long..... Originally Posted by Russ38
Once we hit the part about entropy generation due to irreversible work and heat transfer, the subject just might move quickly to pussy pounding.
Once we hit the part about entropy generation due to irreversible work and heat transfer, the subject just might move quickly to pussy pounding. Originally Posted by GlobeSpotter

Heh
Weird thread
It's Houston.....and fucktards....and...what did you expect.