And now for something really important...SVB failure.

Plus there is private deposit insurance. How do you think Warren Buffett stores his billions of cash? Originally Posted by VitaMan
Great, can you pass along the companies that insure over a billion dollars in cash deposits? Who are they? Originally Posted by bambino
Hey, I'd be interested in learning how Warren does it too.

Is he simply buying T-bills directly and bypassing the banks? If you open a direct account with the US Treasury, is there any limit on the value of the securities in it? Does Warren use money-market funds to park any cash? If so, how does he protect himself against "breaking the buck", which happened when Lehman Bros. collapsed in Sept. 2008?

I'm too lazy to pull out the latest Berkshire Hathaway annual report, so I'll wait for VM to educate me. I did peek and see they're sitting on a total of $147 billion in cash right now.
Or should I contact Warren myself? Originally Posted by bambino
You should. You have something to insure? Originally Posted by VitaMan

In other words, you don't know the answer to your own question, do you VM?
Hey, I'd be interested in learning how Warren does it too.

Is he simply buying T-bills directly and bypassing the banks? If you open a direct account with the US Treasury, is there any limit on the value of the securities in it? Does Warren use money-market funds to park cash? If so, how does he protect himself against "breaking the buck", which happened when Lehman Bros. collapsed in Sept. 2008?

I'm too lazy to pull out a recent Berkshire Hathaway annual report, so I'll wait for VM to educate me. I did peek and see they're sitting on a total of $147 billion in cash right now. Originally Posted by lustylad
In other words, you don't know the answer to your own question, do you VM? Originally Posted by lustylad

2022 Annual Report

Wrong.

As of now insured depositors will have access Monday to their insured deposits dollar for dollar.

Deposits above the insured amount will also start to be paid once the FDIC completes their work and determines bank assets. They could receive all deposits. It depends. Also another financial institution may make an offer to the FDIC for the bank assets. Originally Posted by VitaMan
Deposits are bank liabilities, not assets.
2022 Annual Report

Originally Posted by eccieuser9500
Haha... thanks EU9500.

From a glance at page K-70:

As of 12/31/22, Berkshire Hathaway held $32.3 billion in cash + cash equivalents, plus $92.8 billion in short-term US T-bills.

Don't see anything about insuring the cash, a portion of which is held in demand deposit and money market accounts per the footnote on page K-75.

Not to worry... luckily we have VitaMan here to explain how Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger and Berkshire shareholders are protected in the event of a run on the institutions where those DDs and money market balances are held.

Go ahead, VM... the floor is yours!
Haha... thanks EU9500.

From a glance at page K-70:

As of 12/31/22, Berkshire Hathaway held $32.3 billion in cash + cash equivalents, plus $92.8 billion in short-term US T-bills.

Don't see anything about insuring the cash, a portion of which is held in demand deposit and money market accounts per the footnote on page K-75.

Not to worry... luckily we have VitaMan here to explain how Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger and Berkshire shareholders are protected in the event of a run on the institutions where those DDs and money market balances are held.

Go ahead, VM... the floor is yours! Originally Posted by lustylad

Happy to play along.
this is interesting, reports are now claiming that several investors in SVB and their portfolio might lose millions of dollars.

https://twitter.com/isource_news/sta...13085787316225

two names of note already being floated as impacted investors ..

Oprah Winfrey to the tune of possibly 590 Million.

Princess Harry and his alpha wife Megan. apparently they parked the bulk of his Netflix/book cash in a private account at SVB. now it's frozen and he can't draw on it for his living expenses.

BAAHHHA
In a fast developing story:

Elon Musk is ‘open to the idea’ of buying Silicon Valley Bank as he lays Twitter payments groundwork

Musk, who helped launch PayPal, took over Twitter for $44 billion in late October. He aims to add payments to the platform, which an acquisition of SVB would presumably help with.

Elon Musk is ‘open to the idea’ of buying Silicon Valley Bank as he lays Twitter payments groundwork Originally Posted by eccieuser9500
Mebbe he’ll buy it for 2 dollars a share like JP Morgan bought Bear Sterns.

Elon Musk is ‘open to the idea’ of buying Silicon Valley Bank as he lays Twitter payments groundwork Originally Posted by eccieuser9500

interesting. MuskRat wants to buy SVB and create a digital bank on twittybird. SVB itself was discreetly asking for capitol before the run and said 3.5 billion was their ask. this might be worth doing if MuskRat can grab SVB for only 4 billion spent.
In other words, you don't know the answer to your own question, do you VM? Originally Posted by lustylad
Shhh!! I'm surprised the mods didn't point you for asking the obvious question without you posting your shocked face...
... luckily we have VitaMan here to explain how Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger and Berkshire shareholders are protected in the event of a run on the institutions where those DDs and money market balances are held.

Go ahead, VM... the floor is yours! Originally Posted by lustylad
I'd say you're long on expectations and short on results.
Mebbe he’ll buy it for 2 dollars a share like JP Morgan bought Bear Sterns. Originally Posted by bambino
interesting. MuskRat wants to buy SVB and create a digital bank on twittybird. SVB itself was discreetly asking for capitol before the run and said 3.5 billion was their ask. this might be worth doing if MuskRat can grab SVB for only 4 billion spent. Originally Posted by The_Waco_Kid

Combining finance and technology could save Musk's and Twitter's ass. But I say the platform should fade out. How important is Twitter to the economy? Why do so-called "important" people trust the platform? It's a private social media company like this one. I trust ECCIE rumors more than Twitter rumors. If Twitter went bust, does it deserve a government bail out?

Hmmmmm?

P.S.
Nothing found about Oprah losing out on this collapse. Just a quick GOOGLEing.

Listen to this asshole

https://t.me/BoldSpearElmerFudd/115306

He sold 4 million shares a week ago.
Listen to this asshole

https://t.me/BoldSpearElmerFudd/115306

He sold 4 million shares a week ago. Originally Posted by bambino

He sure does sound like an asshole. "They got all the angles figured out."

Selling out while asking others to stick around? bambino: