Phillips 66 to close oil refinery after Newsom law

did i? show me in either article what i "lied" about .. or that you aren't?

noncompliance has nothing to do with Phillips closing the plant. they see a far left Kalifornica government led by Newsom "at war" with the fossil fuel industry and they are leaving. Originally Posted by The_Waco_Kid
Reread the postings.

If you believe a politician knows anything or could write a regulation to solve that issue you are really clueless about how business works.

Government regulations for the most part cost more than any economic gain the provide. Originally Posted by farmstud60
Hell, if they could do that, they would write themselves out of a job.

By putting it into storage while the refinery is offline, is that not a double hit to supply? Originally Posted by HDGristle
I wouldn't know but how the hell would they put it in storage if the plant kept going off line?!

Seeing as Cali is the home of CARB (California Air Resource Board, mother of clean air) they gesticulate in the state government halls about making the air beautiful.

And it is possible. With coal and refining plants.

But as stated, I would venture to guess that near a 100% of such plants in the USA (don't quote me on that) are grandfathered or could use significant upgrades.
When was the last time a brand new power plant or refinery built? I tell you the technology has been on the books for a long time to make a clean coal plant and refinery.

Maybe the Cali guv is trying to get/force one made.
I made no reference to that.
Only to your lie of "noncompliance has nothing to do with it."

Clearly you lied. Originally Posted by Precious_b

if you say so

Reread the postings.

But as stated, I would venture to guess that near a 100% of such plants in the USA (don't quote me on that) are grandfathered or could use significant upgrades.
When was the last time a brand new power plant or refinery built? I tell you the technology has been on the books for a long time to make a clean coal plant and refinery.

Maybe the Cali guv is trying to get/force one made. Originally Posted by Precious_b

maybe his toxic climate crap is forcing these companies to leave?
Just in case no one has been paying attention….people and industries have leaving California in droves. The only people coming in are Uhaul returns. Originally Posted by TheDaliLama

Really? In the last 10 years California has lost 1.89% of it's population move out vs move in. Is that "droves" in your dictionary?

Just more anecdotal bullshit from people that don't read, don't quantify and only know what they hear on newsmax or their echo chambers.

Do you ever get tired of being wrong?
I wouldn't know but how the hell would they put it in storage if the plant kept going off line?! Originally Posted by Precious_b
It would be, because they would have to pull gas out of the market in the leadup to the shutdown. So, that drives up cost and then holds it until its producing again after planned maintenance.

Don't pretend that the refinery was down all the time. It wasn't.
Phillips is based in Oklahoma.

And as we all know, the reason Texas and California haven’t both drifted off into the ocean is that OKLAHOMA REALLY SUCKS.

105 year old refinery has likely been noncompliant with safety and environmental refs for so long it made more sense to shutter it than to fix it.

Of course. OP knows that. Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
Phillips is not based in Oklahoma, at one time yes, but corporate HQ is at Beltway 8 and Westhaimer.

They conveniently announced the closure on the same day there was a $605 million judgement against the company (Possible treble damages).
If the refinery was worth keeping open it would be. I doubt that putting in fuel storage near a refinery would break the bank.

Phillips 66's Los Angeles-area refinery closure not due to new California regulations

Phillips 66 has decided to shut its 139,000 b/d Wilmington, California in 4Q 2025 because of changing market fundamentals, not because of recently passed regulations on the states refining sector, the company said Oct. 17.

“This decision is not related to the recent bill signing. We want to continue to be a trusted and deliberate partner with the state. This announcement is based on consideration of multiple factors, including future options for the site as part of Phillips 66's ongoing review of its portfolio of assets," said Phillips 66 spokesperson Al Ortiz in an email.

Read the full story here: https://www.spglobal.com/commodityin...ations-company
I think you've all missed the spirit of what Gavin Newsome's comments were about.

It had more to do with price gouging, then production or quantity. And which one of you economic gurus, would think that an oil company that sells gasoline would ever leave the great state of California with more cars per capita than anywhere else, and more driving miles per capita than anywhere else. What moron would leave a cash cow like California without gasoline?

The answer is they won't.

If it's ConocoPhillips, or BP, or any other gasoline purveyor, someone will come in and supply the gas that's required on the West Coast. Thinking anything else just demonstrates your lack of understanding of the law of supply and demand
if you say so

Originally Posted by The_Waco_Kid

Don't pretend that the refinery was down all the time. It wasn't. Originally Posted by HDGristle
Don't pretend that a refinery that is 50 years out of its designed obsolence (sp) has the same down time as a newer one.
As someone here mentioned, there is a point of diminishing returns.
Don't pretend that a refinery that is 50 years out of its designed obsolence (sp) has the same down time as a newer one.
As someone here mentioned, there is a point of diminishing returns. Originally Posted by Precious_b
I think a little self-delusion is a requirement for being a Trump supporter.
Phillips is not based in Oklahoma, at one time yes, but corporate HQ is at Beltway 8 and Westhaimer.

They conveniently announced the closure on the same day there was a $605 million judgement against the company (Possible treble damages). Originally Posted by Pistolpete
I stand corrected.

But stand by my original assessment.
As someone here mentioned, there is a point of diminishing returns. Originally Posted by Precious_b
Point to specific newer refineries, and then let's look at available data on outage schedules.

Yes, we CAN do that