Why is it called the Hobby?

I couldn't get the link to work. I'm curious which old horndog gets the credit. Originally Posted by TinMan
A fellow credited in the archives with the name G.Evans, in a post entitled, "Update on Austin" on June 28, 1996. He ended the post with a tagline quote: "It's not a fetish..... It's a hobby"
A fellow credited in the archives with the name G.Evans, in a post entitled, "Update on Austin" on June 28, 1996. He ended the post with a tagline quote: "It's not a fetish..... It's a hobby" Originally Posted by Sir Lancehernot
I don't recall the handle, but the tag line is familiar. I think some of the basic terminology was already established by then. At the time, folks believed we could fly under the radar if we spoke in terms of "providers", "clients" and "hobby".
A hobby is something you do for fun and enjoy. I believe this is the best title
because unless you are davidfree its not a full time career......of course if you are davidfree it consumes 80 to 90 hours of every week reading and comparing reviews, cataloguing info and pics....so its no hobby to some...it's a career Originally Posted by Tony Gambino
Awesome
The first instance I can find of the hobby being referred to as "the hobby" on the Internet is in a 1996 post in the Usenet news group (now Google group) alt.sex.prostitution:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!se...w/V9LwjIsoWXMJ Originally Posted by Sir Lancehernot
My God. An actual intelligent response based on research. This place is turning into Cambridge.

Thank you, Sir L.
My God. An actual intelligent response based on research. This place is turning into Cambridge.

Thank you, Sir L. Originally Posted by Contralto
Sadly, I found myself nodding my head in agreement without having to see the link.

God, I've been hobbying a long time!
The question has come up before, and, being a veteran of those days, I knew where to look, so it was easy.

Actually, the last time I responded to it, I believe I didn't look back far enough and misattributed the origin of the term to another fellow, whose nom de poon initials were reminiscent of Microsoft's original claim to fame. It looks as if he may have been the second to use that term in that forum, perhaps, though, the first to use it outside of someone else's quote.
The question has come up before, and, being a veteran of those days, I knew where to look, so it was easy.

Actually, the last time I responded to it, I believe I didn't look back far enough and misattributed the origin of the term to another fellow, whose nom de poon initials were reminiscent of Microsoft's original claim to fame. It looks as if he may have been the second to use that term in that forum, perhaps, though, the first to use it outside of someone else's quote. Originally Posted by Sir Lancehernot
We should give him credit in any event. I thought that might have been the answer when I asked the question. No doubt in my mind he helped popularize it.
I figured that's what you were fishing for.
I was kinda hoping you'd name me. I don't deserve credit, but I'm one of the last retreads standing from those days (same damn handle, too), so I figured I may as well steal the title.
Next time it comes up, I will. If I'm still alive.