the Rolling Stones to Play Dallas? Looks Like it...

Man you guys are old. First time I saw them was 78 Super Dome in NO. Rolling Stones, Doobie Brothers and Van Halen opened. That was the Some Girls Tour. It was bad enough Rod Stewart had gone disco, but the Stones? Give me a break. I still have several T-Shirts Then I saw them in the pouring rain on Halloween in the Cotton Bowel. I think that was about 81 or 82. I know I saw them one other time,. but a the moment the where and when escapes me, Wonder why?

I was sitting with a 21 year friend recently and Keith Richards was on something. I turned to her and said "Know what will survive the bomb? Kieth Richards and cock roaches" She had no clue what was humorous about that. So I explained it to her. Not impressed.
Cotton Bowl rain show was 1981. Tattoo You Tour. They also played the next day, wgich was cool and breezy. The second was the better of the two shows. Keith's first clean tour since his Toronto legal problems. Biggest concert tour in history at that point, and still holds many records for worldwide tours. The tour is documented in Hal Asby's concert film Let's Spend The Night Together.
Cotton Bowl rain show was 1981. Tattoo You Tour. They also played the next day, wgich was cool and breezy. The second was the better of the two shows. Keith's first clean tour since his Toronto legal problems. Biggest concert tour in history at that point, and still holds many records for worldwide tours. The tour is documented in Hal Asby's concert film Let's Spend The Night Together. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
I've always heard I saw the lesser of the two show's that Halloween. It was miserable. But those were some great seats. Up a few rows on the south side of the stadium. Probably about the 10 yard line with the main stage in the end zone Was that when they had ZZ Top and The Fabulous Thunderbirds opening?

I think I remember seeing a thing about Keith Richards on 60 Minutes It was long enough ago the Ed Badly was the interviewer. Things that stick about that interview were, Mick (London School of Economics) and all the other members of the band make equal money, Keith Richards hands look like the gnarls of a cypress tree and Chuck Berry punched Keith Richards in the face for putting his hand on his shoulder back stage once. Oh and Keith Richards' attitude about Mick accepting the Knighthood from the same bloody people that were trying to put them in prison in the late 60s and early 70s. The Rolling Stones the quintessential rock and roll band. John Lennon and the Beatles may have had more impact on the world but after all it's only rock and roll and I like it.
Cotton Bowl rain show was 1981. Tattoo You Tour. They also played the next day, wgich was cool and breezy. The second was the better of the two shows. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
yes it was... much better weather, and 3 more songs, because the "encore" was done away with for the Halloween show, due to the rain that poured at the finish.. IIRC, the extra songs were "satisfaction", "gimme shelter", and.. can't remember the other.. Bobby Keys also showed up to play the second show.

I've always heard I saw the lesser of the two show's that Halloween. It was miserable. But those were some great seats. Up a few rows on the south side of the stadium. Probably about the 10 yard line with the main stage in the end zone Was that when they had ZZ Top and The Fabulous Thunderbirds opening?
Originally Posted by boomvang

I was there, about the 15 yard line in front of the stage.. it was only miserable during the final song, when the rain became hard... up until then it mostly threatened rain, and the sun peeked out a little bit, interspersed by brief light rain.. as mentioned, the rain finally poured, wiping out the encore, and we all left during the hard rain.. if the rain had held out 30 more minutes, it would have been great! ZZ Top and the T-Birds did open..
yes it was... much better weather, and 3 more songs, because the "encore" was done away with for the Halloween show, due to the rain that poured at the finish.. IIRC, the extra songs were "satisfaction", "gimme shelter", and.. can't remember the other.. Bobby Keys also showed up to play the second show.

I was there, about the 15 yard line in front of the stage.. it was only miserable during the final song, when the rain became hard... up until then it mostly threatened rain, and the sun peeked out a little bit, interspersed by brief light rain.. as mentioned, the rain finally poured, wiping out the encore, and we all left during the hard rain.. if the rain had held out 30 more minutes, it would have been great! ZZ Top and the T-Birds did open.. Originally Posted by Chung Tran
Damn, the memories! I was there too! I think I was in a similar position in front of the stage.
Here's some more tid bits of some real life Stones concert history. It's the Gator Bowl, August 2nd, 1975. It was called " Tour of The Americas ". I know that dates me but I was two years old .

It's a hot day on the field, all the girls are wearing near nothing and many guys have shed their shirts. My date is as hot as a playboy centerfold and she squirts and moans as far and loud as a humpback whale when she "O"s. Found memories ! It's part way thru the concert and Jagger goes back stage and comes out with a real fire hose and sprays anyone within 50 yards or so. Crowd loved it !

Zelker Park, Austin, Texas, October 22, 2006. The Bigger Bang Tour. Small group of around 42,000. The same show later had over a million watching live in Rio.

I'm standing in line waiting at one of these port o potties and in front of me there's what appears to be a grandmother and her 14ish looking grandson sharing a " cigarette " . Now that's only unusual because it's just unusual even at a rock concert.

There's been a bunch of others up till now including the last one June 14, 2013, Boston Garden. You know watching your kids at a Stones concert rock out and dance to the music you still enjoy immensely, not priceless but it still gets some points.
1981 Tattoo You tour was indeed ZZTop and Fabulous T-Birds. I was in the West stands about the 50 yard line on Saturday. Sunday about 15th or 20th row, front and center.

The 1975 tour that Charlie Brown mentions was a truly great tour. In Dallas, Fleetwood Mac, with newly arrived members Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks opened the show. Their first real singular stage design, the lotus shaped stage. Fire hoses were a regular feature on that tour. It's a criminal same that the sounds systems of that era were what they were. I think the band was at the top of it's game on that tour, thought in fairness, they haven't really changed that much over the years, and arguably may have gotten tighter. But that was the heyday of the great energy combined with the play on the edge of looseness that almost was the equal of the Faces at their peak (or so I've observed via film). Never saw the Faces live, I'm sad to say. I'm a tad too young.
Ive gotta get tickets somehow
I'm sure I will. Also looking at the shows in San Diego, Nashville, and Quebec.
I'm sure I will. Also looking at the shows in San Diego, Nashville, and Quebec. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
TTH, sorry to hear about your budget and travel limitations.. maybe next time, lol!
Actually, the show in Quebec is a festival. You have to buy a ticket to the who,e damn thing AND pay a big premium for decent seating. Looks like I'm dropping the Canada show. Not sure where else to see them. Some pretty dull towns. I always try to see two or three shies each tour and make it to a new of favorite destination. But Kansas City, Atlanta, Buffaloe, Milwaukee, etc. just don't do it for me. I'm stumped. Suggestions? Maybe Raliegh, NC.
Tickets go on sale 4/23, no prices yet.
I heard tickets go on sale April 13, range from $62 to about $412.. the big money will drop $400 for a ticket, no problem.. price is no object.. the cheap tickets will go fastest, huge demand.

those "good" but not great seats, the $250-$300 tickets will go slow, and will not sell out.

my prediction based on experience