Anybody Notice The Feds Wants Apple To Break Into An Americans phone

it wasn't the terrorist's phone, it is an obamaphone

free to him

how ridiculous is that

the guy was a government employee and he gets a "free" phone Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought
the county "issued" the phone to him as an employee ...

... it IS owned by the county ... and the county did not object to the search!

Since he (they?) was using a government phone there WAS NO EXPECTATION OF PRIVACY to activate the protections of the 4th amendment. The "legal issue" with Apple is "proprietary" information with regard to the encryption and providing a program to the government to unscramble it. The "business issue" is future purchasers realizing that the encryption will not keep their information involving criminal activities safe from the prying eyes of the government....

......so the crooks (and terrorists) will quit purchasing and using Apple's new phones.

Early on the Clinton administration signed a "chip" installation executive order for cell phones to allow the government to snoop without people knowing about it, and it was rescinded after a hail storm of criticism. The government snoops now anyway. Apple will have to make a technological adjustment with their software .... following the ballpoint ink business of changing the "formula" annually.

This "issue" will be in the "top tier" of questions posed to any SCOTUS appointee under scrutiny.
So profit prevails over public safety! Ok! Originally Posted by LexusLover
Judging from Apple's position, yes.
I think everybody ought to have an iPhone, but carry it where everyone can see it.
the county "issued" the phone to him as an employee ...

... it IS owned by the county ... and the county did not object to the search!

Since he (they?) was using a government phone there WAS NO EXPECTATION OF PRIVACY to activate the protections of the 4th amendment. The "legal issue" with Apple is "proprietary" information with regard to the encryption and providing a program to the government to unscramble it. The "business issue" is future purchasers realizing that the encryption will not keep their information involving criminal activities safe from the prying eyes of the government....

......so the crooks (and terrorists) will quit purchasing and using Apple's new phones.

Early on the Clinton administration signed a "chip" installation executive order for cell phones to allow the government to snoop without people knowing about it, and it was rescinded after a hail storm of criticism. The government snoops now anyway. Apple will have to make a technological adjustment with their software .... following the ballpoint ink business of changing the "formula" annually.

This "issue" will be in the "top tier" of questions posed to any SCOTUS appointee under scrutiny. Originally Posted by LexusLover
I stand corrected, all I heard on the radio driving in the country was that it wasn't his it was a given him by the government
I stand corrected, all I heard on the radio driving in the country was that it wasn't his it was a given him by the government Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought
That is a correct statement you heard....from the reports by THE FBI. No need to be "correcting" yourself.

Without any Constitutional Protection Apple et al may be risking a criminal charge of "hindering" and/or "interfering" with a criminal investigation. There are potentially alternatives to refusing to provide the software to the Feds, and the Apple interest can be protected by a court order, which is frequently done. The "loss of revenues" may not be a viable defense when alternatives are available.
  • WTF
  • 02-18-2016, 08:08 AM
So profit prevails over public safety! Ok! Originally Posted by LexusLover
Is this now a Second Amendment debate? Originally Posted by WTF

No, duffus. Neither is shouting "fire" in a movie theater! Originally Posted by LexusLover

So the government is shouting fire in a movie theater and Apple should run to put it out to make you feel safe?
I just saw on Fox Business News that MicroSoft is backing Apple's stand.

Can't find a Internet Link yet.
  • WTF
  • 02-18-2016, 08:16 AM
That is a correct statement you heard....from the reports by THE FBI. No need to be "correcting" yourself.

Without any Constitutional Protection Apple et al may be risking a criminal charge of "hindering" and/or "interfering" with a criminal investigation. There are potentially alternatives to refusing to provide the software to the Feds, and the Apple interest can be protected by a court order, which is frequently done. The "loss of revenues" may not be a viable defense when alternatives are available. Originally Posted by LexusLover
Be like those two bozo's who lied about PPH that were charged by the government , right LL.

Everything the government charges another with is correct, right.
Be like those two bozo's who lied about PPH that were charged by the government , right LL.

Everything the government charges another with is correct, right.
Originally Posted by WTF
Are you trying to change the subject matter, AGAIN?

What's wrong, duffus? Tired of the topic?
[/SIZE]

So the government is shouting fire in a movie theater and Apple should run to put it out to make you feel safe? Originally Posted by WTF
Getting personal again?
  • WTF
  • 02-18-2016, 08:56 AM
Are you trying to change the subject matter, AGAIN?

What's wrong, duffus? Tired of the topic? Originally Posted by LexusLover
I'm just trying to figure out when you think government intervention is good and when you think it is bad. It seems at times you rail against the government and then for it...depending of course on whether you agree with the government intrusion.
  • WTF
  • 02-18-2016, 09:03 AM
Getting personal again? Originally Posted by LexusLover
In the grand scheme of things....the government not being able to access this phone will not put our safety at risk one bit.

I happen to believe it will in fact hurt us long term to continue to surrender ever privacy right we ever had in the name of safety.

Let the government crack the code.

There is no fire in the movie theater. There may be a potential fire....but that argument can be made always....as there always is a potential disaster the government can scare little kids with. Change your diaper and get back with us when you aren't so foul.
  • DSK
  • 02-18-2016, 09:24 AM
I'm just trying to figure out when you think government intervention is good and when you think it is bad. It seems at times you rail against the government and then for it...depending of course on whether you agree with the government intrusion. Originally Posted by WTF
No one this side of COG thinks we should have no government at all, so arguing about its proper place is legitimate.

It is a frequent liberal canard that conservatives want no government unless it helps them, but I've found that to apply to just about everyone. Everyone wants government to support their pet projects, which is why we fight so hard over elections - taxing other people to pay for what the mob wants.
The guy was an American. The wife not.

exNYer understands. The point is the government needs to do its due diligence BEFORE they step foot in this country. Originally Posted by gnadfly
The guy was a terrorist/murderer and the wife was too. Heres how they play this out; Apple protests vehemently while at the same time providing the necessary information to the FBI. No one says anything about this but we continue the Kabuki theatre for any future terrorists who will think that their phones are still safe from tapping/hacking by the feds.
Apple gets big government contracts for cooperating while at the same time they become heroes to the left for opposing a left wing government.
I just saw on Fox Business News that MicroSoft is backing Apple's stand.

Can't find a Internet Link yet. Originally Posted by Jackie S

If it were my product, my invention, my baby, not being able to get in to it would be giving up control. And the apple folks, if nothing else, are control freaks.

When and whether they let the gmen in is a different issue. Already knowing they can get in gives them a bunch of different options. Either end, both ends against the middle, etc.

They can stand for privacy (publically)and be the heroes (privately, until revealing their good deed to the world) that crack the phone when it suits them.