Hobby phones

Mine is technical - so, hobby phone it is
Please let us know how it works, curiousal.

and ExNYer, you really shouldn't even be thinking about getting a new RIM Blackberry in 2013. The brands almost certain to disappear and be unsupported. Originally Posted by BobbyMann
I think they will make a rebound.

I can't see the market being just iPhones and Androids. Usually, there are 3 big players in any market - alhough computer operating systems kind of violate that. So maybe not.

I think it will all depend on what kind of apps are available. And it they get all the business apps, then they should remain solid. But the BB10 is definitely a "bet the company" phone.
I hope you are right RIM, the blackberry's manufacturer, is struggling and may be gone in a year or two.
I think they will make a rebound.

I can't see the market being just iPhones and Androids. Usually, there are 3 big players in any market - alhough computer operating systems kind of violate that. So maybe not.

I think it will all depend on what kind of apps are available. And it they get all the business apps, then they should remain solid. But the BB10 is definitely a "bet the company" phone. Originally Posted by ExNYer
The 3rd player will be the evil empire - Microsoft. May be they will buy RIMM. WHichever way, that race is over, we just need the token 3rd player (Chrysler)
I have a tmobile pay as you go, $40 for a phone and $100 for 1000 minute/text combination and minutes last 1yr and unused minutes will rollover if you refill with any amount ($10 to $100) before your expiration date.
I tossed the pre paid phone and went to Google voice on an Android phone. Totally anonymous and the GV phone number can be tied to a hobby Gmail account. You can change your # when ever u want, and your txt messages stay separate from the other texts on your phone. I've got everything password protected and best of all, GV is free. My SO could go trough my phone and would find NOTHING! Originally Posted by Dan4424

i finally got fully onboard with Google Voice on my iPhone. awesome. no more top-up minutes for me.
There's enough security apps on the Android market to keep it locked down. I've got encryption, plus a few other lockdowns. For example, if SO tries to run the GV app, it pops up with an error message and an ok button. Press ok and it goes back to home screen. But, a long press on the ok button, and you can enter a pin# and get into the app. Account settings, provider contacts and session photos are also locked down in a similar manner.
If she was technically inclined, I might worry a little, but she's the opposite. Took her two days to figure out how to get her iPhone off of silent. (Little switch on the side)

On Android, GV texts are in their own app, and you can set it to not integrate into any of the phone logs or stock txt message apps. If you don't choose GV when making a phone call, you could call using your normal phone #. Just have to be careful with that. Originally Posted by Dan4424
I always cringe when I see someone say that. I've had buddies get busted (civilian busted, not hobby busted) who always claimed their SO was clueless about technology. Remember, the SO is a technically proficient as a friend, coworker, relative she confides in. Or for one of my buddy's, the PI she hired. Always safer to assume the SO is technically savvy and somewhat suspicious....then so everything to keep the threat level at Green while operating like it' Red.

GV is a good tool. Like you said, there are a few things you have to be very careful about setting up. I'd also recommend Talkatone or a similar app to ensure your calls are VoIP and nothing is on your call logs.

Also good advice on a cover story- especially for those of you who share iTunes accounts and may have to explain an odd app in the library.
TracPhone from CVS $6.00 cash, plus a 60 minute card. Which expires usually before I run out of minutes. How f*cking much are you really gonna be on the phone with hookers? Kept in a box of misc technology crap, cables, dead routers etc. at work. Somebody recycles it accidently...uh-oh, need another $6.00.

I'd advise against using anything personal to do this, from email to phone. Not the same device, nothing in common with your "real" world. And for true noobs, deep clean your internet cache on your computer AND your phone AND your GPS.
  • hd
  • 01-02-2013, 03:01 PM
+1 phildo, I spend 20$ every three months to keep mine active, and keep it in my truck or in my garage, if the SO finds it I just say I found it in the parking lot. And I only use it to text or call for apponitments and erase all numbers after using it. I don't want any kind of trail going back to my personal phone. I've had this for 3 or 4 years.
Damn, am I the only one that uses my neighbor's phone for my hobby activities?
Can you tell how to deep clean my computer, phone and GPS. Thanks
How do make a top of the line phone anonymous.

I'm thinking about getting the new BlackBerry when it comes out in Q1 of 2013.

Is it possible to buy a pre-paid, no name SIM card that I can just put into the phone and pay charges by the minute?

Perhaps I can use two SIM cards that I swap in an out?

One SIM card is a legit one with a major carrier that I use for business, including e-mail and browsing.

The other SIM card is the pre-paid, no name one I use for the hobby.

Can the phone be traced independently from the SIM cards? Originally Posted by ExNYer
If you look on the web, you can purchase a dual sim converter so that you could have both sims in at the same time and not worry about the hassle. Each sim will have their own settings, so you can place one sim on airplane mode if needed. You will also need to purchase a micro sim cutter. You can also purchse a dual sim phone from ahappydeal.com. It is best to get regular sized sim cards & cut them down to size vs purchasing already cut microsim cards because they will not sit properly in the tray. (It will make sense when you see them.)
I do not use the GV app, but rather the browser version (voice.google.com). All texts and calls are routed to my hobby email account. The only trace of it on my phone is the rare call to the random out-of-state number GV routes the calls through. Since that gets mixed in with all the other calls I make and receive every month, those few calls do not stand out on my bill.
"GO" phone at walmart. $20 phone and get the $100 refill of min's cause the $100 is good for a year. Keep in the area with shop tools or with other old outdated electronics like in the attic. No kids so no problem.
The app Burner is available for iPhones. $2 creates a number for 7 days, 30 minutes talk/60 text. After 7 days it disappears, or push button on app to burn instantly. Android version in the works.