Challenger Tragedy..Where were you ?

I was at my same workplace during the following events: Challenger disaster, Magic's HIV announcement, OJ verdict and WTC pancaking. Strangely people were the most 'down' for the OJ verdict. For WTC, people were angry or dazed.
I was in kindergarten, needless to say being that young it didn't quite fully register.
I came home from morning classes at college, turned on the TV and there it was.
I was in 3rd grade, but played sick so that I could be home with my mom for her 25th birthday. If I remember right, it was just about a year after Budd Dwyer had killed himself on live television (PA politician, saw that live on television in 2nd grade.) At first, my mom didn't believe me, thinking that having seen Dwyer, that I hadn't come to terms with that and that all I saw was either the initial launch ignition or the separation of the boosters. It wasn't until she came out to the living room that she believed me.
I was at work, and it was a double whammy for me as well. That night my best friend drove his car into the end of a bridge and was killed. Six people in the car and five walked away. He had just celebrated his 25th birthday.
I was in 3rd grade, but played sick so that I could be home with my mom for her 25th birthday. If I remember right, it was just about a year after Budd Dwyer had killed himself on live television (PA politician, saw that live on television in 2nd grade.) At first, my mom didn't believe me, thinking that having seen Dwyer, that I hadn't come to terms with that and that all I saw was either the initial launch ignition or the separation of the boosters. It wasn't until she came out to the living room that she believed me. Originally Posted by Diomidis

Might have that backwards. Challenger was 86 Dwyer was 87.
Either way they were both tragedies.
Might have that backwards. Challenger was 86 Dwyer was 87.
Either way they were both tragedies. Originally Posted by boardman
Yeah, I realized I had them backwards this morning when I talked to my parents. My powers of long-term memory recall aren't always the best, my apologies to all.
I was at a TV station and watched the whole thing live on 5 TVs.
2nd Year of College.... I was at my friends apartment that morning. Dam...I will never forget that as well as:

1 - When Princess Diana was killed
2 - 2nd Shuttle Tragedy
3 - I saw Star Wars the day that Elvis died!!

DAMN, I am OLD!!
Prob was sucking on some titties...I dunno, 25 yrs ago I was still a toddler.
I was at North Harris Comm. College in Kingwood, at a bowling alley of all places. They let us go home for the rest of the day, never forget it.
I was still learning how to pull my big girl panties up!!
I had just gotten out of Contracts during my first year of law school. I was walking through a lounge where a bunch of students had tuned in to the launch coverage and the explosion occurred just as I was walking by. It was a devastating moment.
  • Rezo
  • 03-17-2011, 07:57 PM
January of '86? I guess I was in Pre-K at that time. Don't really remember much about the event when it had happened. Imagine I just flipped the channel back to He-Man or something
3rd grade. Watched it live.
Definitely one of those things that are markers in one's life, and that we all experienced. Like 9-11 or something great like the Rockets winning their first championship. Unbelievable moments.