How common is PTSD in our world?

Surviving Life. Think about it. Think again.

PTSD occurs when a dramatic event does not leave the subconscious but renters tte conscious..

To name one of mine: my youngest brother dropped dead at an early age climbing a high-est mountain in NA. Did not fall. That one never leaves my conscious nor my subconsciousness. PTSD.

Imagine the impact on his father, his mother had passed (anyone one know ?), his siblings, and family, friends, colleagues, students ( he was a loved professor of sciences) and I could go on.

My point: PTSD happens to almost all who live. Those who have a faith manage; those who don't need professional help.
There have been a lot of the collective "us" that have seen/experienced some really negative shit that weighs heavy on the heart and mind.

And I would bet that there are a lot of confused, and emotionally hurting, ladies (men, too) out there suffering from PTSD, that would benefit from some counseling/therapy, and don't even realize that they have it.

Thoughts? This might be a difficult topic for some.

And I don't believe that this topic should discuss individuals at all, because that would be against the guidelines. I'm just suggesting a discussion about post traumatic stress disorder and if, or how, it exists in the hobby.

Being traumatized in this world is very real and relatively common. Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers
Ask and ye shall receive!

The National Comorbidity Survey Replication (NCS-R), conducted between February 2001 and April 2003, comprised interviews of a nationally representative sample of 9,282 Americans aged 18 years and older. PTSD was assessed among 5,692 participants, using DSM-IV criteria. The NCS-R estimated the lifetime prevalence of PTSD among adult Americans to be 6.8% (1). Current past year PTSD prevalence was estimated at 3.5% (2).The lifetime prevalence of PTSD among men was 3.6% and among women was 9.7%. The twelve month prevalence was 1.8% among men and 5.2% among women (3).

http://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/...facts-ptsd.asp
PTSD sucks.
interesting...
Surviving Life. Think about it. Think again.

PTSD occurs when a dramatic event does not leave the subconscious but renters tte conscious....

My point: PTSD happens to almost all who live. Those who have a faith manage; those who don't need professional help. Originally Posted by doug_dfw
I agree that PTSD happens in all walks of life, certainly in the Hobby, but your comment about "faith" needs further extrapolation. Faith in a deity, in family, in friends, in love, in luck, in education, in enlightenment, in meds, in herbs, in pets, in one's self? Does it matter as long as a practical coping mechanism is found, whether God or Dog?

Combat Veteran with PTSD... I would love to have some therapy from you sexy women to help it! haha
elizabeth,

Friend of mine went through a very hard time (death, divorce and soul-numbing tragedy) for 2 years, at the end of it, he went on a trip to Macchu Picchu and climbed all the way up and spent 4 weeks there hiking up and down the mountains living the simple life... came back a changed man and runs marathons these days. There is hope even for the worst tragedies.