I need a computer pro

If you decide to unplug the computer because of lightning nearby, be sure to unplug all the power, phone, internet, or TV connections from the computer. Not only do you have multiple ways for the power surge to get into the computer, but the different electrical connections will "fight" each other, sending more of the surge through your computer.

There are surge suppressors that will protect AC power, phone, ethernet, TV cable, etc. simultaneously, but unplugging is better, especially if you have something like a phone line you rarely use plugged into the computer.
In my experience that growling would likely be power supply. Electrical disturbance was its last gasp. Goodwill might have one real cheap that fits the box & motherboard. Whatever, pull & save the hard drive.
Hey Brittany--

If it is the power supply I think it's pretty easy to replace. (Getting your data is important but I bet you don't want to chuck your computer!) A little tricky with nails but it only takes a screwdriver or two.

If you haven't already, plug a lamp or something into the socket you use for the desktop and make sure it still works.

Sending you a PM.

~~Casey
computer pro i am not, that is why when things like that happen i take my computer down to discount electronics and get a diagnostics run. last time something crazy happened i took it to DE, they found that the mother board had been dislodged a little. so he took it off and put it back on and presto i was good to go.

i am not saying the same will happen for you, but you most likely will save a little money going to discoun electronics

peace
atx Originally Posted by atxrefman
I actually am a computer pro, and I'll second the endorsement of Discount Electronics. I have built a couple of systems with parts from there, and whenever I have had any issues, they took care of it without any fuss. Good, knowledgeable folks.
Just remember, if you take it to a repairer, they will have access to EVERYTHING on your computer.......you may not want that.
Have you unplugged the computer from all power, then plugged it back in and tried to boot it up? Have you tried booting into safe mode? From what you describe it is doing something, its not dead, correct? If the above 2 options don't work then don't keep trying, could damage the hard drive (if not already) - then I would agree with the hard drive enclosure and hook up to another computer to get what you need off it. If you need any assistance PM me and I'll try to help. I'm not a pro but it is a hobby.....hmmmmm.....there's that word......lol! Good Luck!
  • Carl
  • 06-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Brittany, from what you described, I agree with the consensus that the power supply is almost certainly shot. The question is what else may have been damaged. While the HD is likely OK, often when you get nasty power surge like that, the motherboard and CPU are often damaged as well, and sometimes other components like the keyboard and monitor. While it's not that expensive to get a new power supply, if other components are damaged, it quickly becomes worth it just to get a new computer , especially if you need to pay for labor and diagnostics to determine what is fried and what isn't and then install replacements. New ones have gotten so cheap and refurbished ones that are just a year or two old from a place like Discount Electronics are even cheaper. Assuming your HD is fine, putting it in an enclosure and using it as an external HD sounds like a great idea.
I'd try replacing the original power suppy with a new one of higher wattage with the same type connectors. Take the cover off to see which types you have. All connectors only fit one way...so don't force it if it is oriented incorrectly. Not really a difficult job if you take your time. If you get it all back together and it still doesn't boot then you know it's most likely your motherboard caps or regulators. THen pull your hard drive and consider a new computer to transfer the old files off of your old HD to the new comp...or install the old hard drive as a slave drive (if ide) or just plug in if sata. If you don't have a lot of files...a thumb drive makes a fast back up. They are getting very cheap these days.
I have LCD Power Supply Tester, so I can test PS to see if it is bad. I would use my spare Power supply to see if the motherboard and cpu got hit.
On your harddrive, you can use USB to IDE/Sata converter to move data to another machine.

In my experience that growling would likely be power supply. Electrical disturbance was its last gasp. Goodwill might have one real cheap that fits the box & motherboard. Whatever, pull & save the hard drive. Originally Posted by yardape
Howdy, Folks!

We are entering into the summer months here in Austin, Texas.

This means freak thunderstorms, and a stressed power grid from folks running their AC to beat the heat - this can result in some very strange electrical fluctuations.

So, at the very least, please consider obtaining:

1. surge and noise suppressor

2. UPS / Battery backup

3. Most important - External hard drive or drives, and back up your data plenty and often.

Here's a 2 TB drive for $119 with free shipping:

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.a...mid=200&ref=cj

That's CHEAP insurance - less than $0.06/GB.

BACK

UP

YOUR

DATA

I cannot stress this enough.
Thanks for all the responses and emails... sorry i didn't get back to many of you.. with no computer it has been really hard. I recently purchased a laptop as i have been wanting one and didn't feel the need to go spend money on a new power supply for my old desktop. However now im in need of getting the data from my old hard drive on my desktop to my new laptop. I'm not interested in taking my computer in to a professional as i have a lot of info on there that should not be out in the open. If you have a cable or can help with the transfer i would be interested in hearing from you.

Thanks to everyone