Paris Recommendations

How long are your there? Budget consraints? Level of interest in art? Food? 15-18th century history? If you'll reply to those, I can give very detailed recommendations. Normandy depends on the answer to Q1.

But, that being said, and while waiting for your answers, I'll give my quick lecture on what you HAVE to see.

First, the must see sights. Notre Dame -- two hours or so. If you're really into cathederals, you might want to see the Cathedral of St. Germain en Laye. But if I was going to do a second church, I'd go the St. Chapelle Smaller, very early Gothic, and highly ornamented. Plus, in easy walking distance from Notre Dame.

If you're a literary sort, you might swing by Slvyia Beach's Shakespeare and Co. Books. If you don't already know what it is, don't bother. If you are interested in the Middle Ages, the Eglise St. Jullan le Pauvre is also within walking distance of Notre Dame. Medieval and the oldest church in Paris. 20-30 minutes. The Musee de Moyen Ages -- Museum on the Middle Ages is nearby by and interesting. But everything other than Notre Dame andSt. Chapelle in this section are optional, and placed here because of their location. All within very easy walking distance of each other.

Musee de Louvre. They say if you stand in front of every object in the Louvre for ten seconds, you can't see it all even if you are there every minute that it's open for ten years. Yet, it's that big and sprawling of a collection. Get a good guidebook and decide what you really want to see.

Musee de Orssay. Unless you plan to spend five hours to a day, skip the lower floors and go directly to the top floor. That's where the most amazing collection of Impressionist Art in the world by a factor of ten is located. Just stunning and glorious. Beyond compare. This may be the neatest set of rooms on the planet.

Treat yourself to one fantastic meal if you can afford it. Micheline three star meals today cost close to $350 - 400/ person before wine. Most people can't even think of that. But there are some half way economical one and two stars. Lunch can be a bargain, too. If you can afford $175/person with wine, lunch at Cinq in the George V hotel is wonderful. A bit, but not much, lower, is a meal at Atelier d'Joel Robuchon. Not two or three star in service and ostentaion, but every bit a two star in food. Get a seat at the counter. I slightly prefer the original on the Rue Montalembert over the on on the Champs, but both are fine.

Here is a list of the most affordable starred restaurants in Paris:

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/paris/...stars-in-paris

My favorite is Atelier, but Aguste and L'Agape are quite good. Le Relaix de Louis XII is good, but very traditional.

I also love walking the shops of the Place des Voges. A lovely square, the oldest "urban planned" square in the world. Not great food, but a great place to eat lunch if you can snag an outsidie table is Ma Burgougne, in the NW corner of the Place.

Go to the food market closest to your hotel. The first is a list by day of the week, the second link by which are the best from a food standpoint.

http://www.parisianlocal.com/a-list-...y-of-the-week/

http://www.timeout.com/paris/en/shop...rkets-in-paris

My favorites are Moufftard and Monge. But that is, in part, because it's the neighborhood where I live (part time).

The one book I most recommend is the green Micheline Guide to Paris. Be sure to get a blue Micheline Plan de Paris. You can't beat it for getting around. Finally, and very importantly, learn to use the Metro. It is the greatest public transportation system on earth. There is no spot in the city that is more than roughly 400 meters from a station (I forget the exact figure). But it is economical, safe, reasonably clean, and can take you anywhere.

Post if you have questions.

This is actually pretty cool, but it's huge and an absolute zoo. Plan on several hours if it strikes your interest. Originally Posted by daty/o
Always an option. Crowds can be a problem, especially in the summer. The colder and rainier the day, the better from a crowd standpoint. I like warmish spring days, mid to late afternoon, in the rain. Crowds then out then.

Visit the arene de lutece in the quartier latin . a roman times mini coliseum Originally Posted by Luke Skywalker
A nice quiet area in my part of town. This can be combined with a walk up the r. Moufftard and a visit to the Marche Moufftard, every day but Monday.
  • Gbfsl
  • 03-06-2016, 04:13 PM
I get to Paris often. If you like little boutique/tablet hotels I highly recommend Le Meurice.
For restaurants, the city is full of great food. Ask the concierge at whatever hotel you pick for recommendations in that area. The restaurant at Le Meurice is a thr e star Michelin restaurant that is awesome.
The dinner boat cruise recommended earlier is a very cool trip as well. You have your choice of art galleries and museums. All depends on your taste.
Textual has some great suggestions.
Re: Normandy, very worth it. Find a small group tour operator so they can take you to the sites. We booked one Brit showing a group of 4 of us using his mini van. Day one was on the American side and day 2 was the British / Canadian side. It was two days worth but very worth it. The way I saw it was this .... Paris will always be there, but the ww2 sites are falling fast to construction and the modern world and will be gone soon so might as well see it now. P.s. There is a military museum in Paris itself (Invalides I think?) that's super cool for militaria / history, schedule a day for it, not touristy.
Damn I want to go on vacation with you guys! You all have it figured out!
Everything you need to know is here:

http://www.paristexas.gov
Damn I want to go on vacation with you guys! You all have it figured out! Originally Posted by BritneyB93
OMG!!! just looked at your pics. Would love to take you to Paris on vacation. When I hit the lotto we can discuss it. LOL
Check your mailbox.