HARRY REID: RIP

Mitch McConnell's first action as Majority Leader should be to end Harry's stupid nuclear option and restore regular Senate order to what it has been for 200+ years. Such magnanimity would go a long way towards healing partisan wounds and banishing Harry to the Nevada desert. The end of Harry's corruption may also get the Yucca Mountain nuclear waste depository into operation, Harry's other nuclear non-option. Electricity ratepayers have sunk $30 billion into Yucca and have paid a surcharge for years for its operation. Utilities sued to either open the facility or stop collecting the fee. The courts chickened out and stopped the fee collection, but nobody had the guts to out Harry's corruption and open Yucca to receive the waste that has been stored for years in local power plants. This is Harry's corruption legacy. What an angry, venal old man to have ascended to high elected power. Originally Posted by trident60
At this point, I think that is highly unlikely.

The Senate Republicans remember quite well how they were treated by the Democrats, with the special rules adopted by Reid et al to advance Obama's agenda, regardless of 200+ years of tradition.

They are NOT going to forget how they were COMPLETELY shut out of the Obamacare deliberations, to name just one case.
  • WTF
  • 11-05-2014, 05:22 PM
At this point, I think that is highly unlikely.

The Senate Republicans remember quite well how they were treated by the Democrats, with the special rules adopted by Reid et al to advance Obama's agenda, regardless of 200+ years of tradition.

They are NOT going to forget how they were COMPLETELY shut out of the Obamacare deliberations, to name just one case. Originally Posted by Sidewinder
Reid imposed this in 2011, please tell me how this so called nuclear option , done in 2011, shut out Republicans from Obamacare?

Reid imposed this in 2011, please tell me how this so called nuclear option , done in 2011, shut out Republicans from Obamacare? Originally Posted by WTF
What's wrong?
Not intelligent enough to follow a narrative in reverse chronology?
  • WTF
  • 11-05-2014, 06:14 PM
Yhw sey, sey I nac
Reid imposed this in 2011, please tell me how this so called nuclear option, done in 2011, shut out Republicans from Obamacare? Originally Posted by WTF

Wrong again, fagboy. Reid changed the filibuster rules a year ago in 2013. It was done to allow Obama's federal court and other nominees to be approved by the Senate with a simple majority vote. It had nothing to do with Obamacare, dumbass. (Sidewinder didn't link the two; YOU did with your impaired reading comprehension.) Odumbocare was inappropriately passed in 2010 using "reconciliation" - a rare and controversial process that allowed Reid to avoid having to submit the amended bill to a new Senate vote (knowing it would not pass after Scott Brown was elected US Senator from Massachusetts).

Pay attention, fagboy. Your comments just make you look stupid.
Mitch McConnell's first action as Majority Leader should be to end Harry's stupid nuclear option and restore regular Senate order to what it has been for 200+ years. Such magnanimity would go a long way towards healing partisan wounds... Originally Posted by trident60

The Dems may try to ram a whole bunch of still-pending judicial appointments through the lame-duck Senate between now and January while they still have a majority and can take advantage of Harry's rules. This would make a lot of Republicans think twice about being magnanimous and restoring the old rules.
  • EZ.
  • 11-05-2014, 08:13 PM
It's absolutely what should be done. I'm not sure it would serve to heal any partisan wounds though. There's a lot of animosity over him pulling that stunt. Originally Posted by boardman
I totally disagree with dropping the nuclear option. The dems were told this day would come and it has. The Republicans need to pass one bill after another and force Obama to sign or veto it. There are plenty of bills that had bipartisan support that Reid to refused to bring for a vote. Its time for America to see which is the party of No.

Obama knows that he has no legacy. He will go down and the worst President since WWII. He doesn't care what anyone thinks. He is not going to change. He is going to continue to legislate by executive order starting with giving amnesty to millions.
Reid changed the filibuster rules a year ago in 2013. It was done to allow Obama's federal court and other nominees to be approved by the Senate with a simple majority vote. Originally Posted by lustylad
It negated, as LL noted, filibusters against executive branch nominees and judicial nominees. It didn't apply to legislation and Supreme Court nominations.
Only 435 more to die ...
  • MrGiz
  • 11-05-2014, 09:37 PM
I haven't wasted my time, reading the rest of this thread... but Harry Reid deserves the worst political HELL that could ever possibly exist! He is sucking a vacuum on zero, as far as I'm concerned. Probably, the MOST contemptible, loathsome, hateful, detestable, reprehensible, abhorrent, abominable, awful, heinous individual to ever hold public office!

Harry makes Barry look Jeffersonian!!
Pay attention, fagboy. Your comments just make you look stupid. Originally Posted by lustylad
He "looks stupid" because he is stupid.

His covey of bimbos are impressed, though. Sometimes I think he even allows them to play on the keyboard to pacify them.
It negated, as LL noted, filibusters against executive branch nominees and judicial nominees. It didn't apply to legislation and Supreme Court nominations.
Originally Posted by I B Hankering
That won't be needed now.

No more nominees who think owning a gun is a medical condition.
  • WTF
  • 11-06-2014, 05:58 AM
He "looks stupid" because he is stupid.

His covey of bimbos are impressed, though. Sometimes I think he even allows them to play on the keyboard to pacify them. Originally Posted by LexusLover
Speaking of looking stupid...

It's now 3 nurses, and the CDC Director today said they are "monitoring" 50 more persons .... under oath before Congressional subcommittee ...

as the "ripple" effect expands the circles of exposed persons the numbers will "geometrically" increase. No one needs a "computer" ... all it takes is someone with personal knowledge of public schools during flu season.

It's fucking common sense. Which people "being obnoxious" lack.

. Originally Posted by LexusLover
  • WTF
  • 11-06-2014, 06:07 AM
Wrong again, fagboy. Reid changed the filibuster rules a year ago in 2013. It was done to allow Obama's federal court and other nominees to be approved by the Senate with a simple majority vote. It had nothing to do with Obamacare, dumbass. (Sidewinder didn't link the two; YOU did with your impaired reading comprehension.) Odumbocare was inappropriately passed in 2010 using "reconciliation" - a rare and controversial process that allowed Reid to avoid having to submit the amended bill to a new Senate vote (knowing it would not pass after Scott Brown was elected US Senator from Massachusetts).

Pay attention, fagboy. Your comments just make you look stupid. Originally Posted by lustylad
I know how Obamacare was passed. I was not the one trying to link Obamacare and the nuclear option Sidewinder, was. I corrected him and now I'm correcting you.

Please note the date of this article

By Alexander Bolton - 10/07/11 01:10 AM EDT

In a shocking development Thursday evening, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) triggered a rarely used procedural option informally called the “nuclear option” to change the Senate rules.
Reid and 50 members of his caucus voted to change Senate rules unilaterally to prevent Republicans from forcing votes on uncomfortable amendments after the chamber has voted to move to final passage of a bill.
Reid’s coup passed by a vote of 51-48, leaving Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) fuming.
The surprise move stunned Republicans, who did not expect Reid to bring heavy artillery to what had been a humdrum knife fight over amendments to China currency legislation. http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/1...re-filibusters

In 2011, with a Democratic majority in the Senate (but not a supermajority), Senators Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) and Tom Udall (D-N.M.) proposed "a sweeping filibuster reform package" to be implemented via the constitutional option but Majority Leader Harry Reid dissuaded them from pushing it forward.[51] In October 2011, however, Reid triggered the nuclear option to make a more modest change in Senate precedents. In a 51-48 vote, the Senate prohibited any motion to waive the rules after a filibuster is defeated.[52][53][54]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_option
I know how Obamacare was passed. I was not the one trying to link Obamacare and the nuclear option Sidewinder, was. I corrected him and now I'm correcting you.

Please note the date of this article

By Alexander Bolton - 10/07/11 01:10 AM EDT

In a shocking development Thursday evening, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) triggered a rarely used procedural option informally called the “nuclear option” to change the Senate rules.
Reid and 50 members of his caucus voted to change Senate rules unilaterally to prevent Republicans from forcing votes on uncomfortable amendments after the chamber has voted to move to final passage of a bill.
Reid’s coup passed by a vote of 51-48, leaving Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) fuming.
The surprise move stunned Republicans, who did not expect Reid to bring heavy artillery to what had been a humdrum knife fight over amendments to China currency legislation. http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/1...re-filibusters

In 2011, with a Democratic majority in the Senate (but not a supermajority), Senators Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) and Tom Udall (D-N.M.) proposed "a sweeping filibuster reform package" to be implemented via the constitutional option but Majority Leader Harry Reid dissuaded them from pushing it forward.[51] In October 2011, however, Reid triggered the nuclear option to make a more modest change in Senate precedents. In a 51-48 vote, the Senate prohibited any motion to waive the rules after a filibuster is defeated.[52][53][54]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_option Originally Posted by WTF

No dumbass, you are doubling down on stupid again. Re-read sidewinder's post. Nowhere does he say the nuclear option was utilized to pass Obamacare. You made that up. You constantly misread what other people post - either deliberately or because you are dyslexic and have serious comprehension problems.

In desperation, you are also trying to save face on the dates involved. Why did you leave out the next sentence from your Wiki quote?

"Changing Senate precedents with a majority threshold does not reach the level of an actual change in Senate rules."

Reid's actions in 2011 allowed a minor change in precedent affecting amendments to a single bill. His use of the nuclear option in 2013 involved a major change in Senate rules "to eliminate the use of the filibuster against all executive branch nominees and judicial nominees other than to the Supreme Court." Anyone who follows the news knows that when we talk about Harry Reid's arrogant Senate power grab and abuse of the nuclear option, we are referring to this Nov. 2013 change in rules to stack the DC Circuit Court of Appeals and ram through Senate approval of other Odumbo nominees whose illegal appointments by executive order were being challenged.

Nice try, fagboy. You stand corrected.