whats the proper thing to do...

Facebook steals your personal information any time you give it the chance. If you install facebook apps, it will steal every contact stored in your smartphone. When you try to add a new friend via an e-mail address, it tries to get you to let it access your address book so it can steal the e-mail addresses. If you're logged into facebook, it will try to gather info about what other web sites you access. If you go to certain "partners" like certain yahoo web pages, it will try to get you to share your yahoo address book with facebook.

Yet another reason to have a hobby phone. And to be very careful separating your hobby and personal e-mail and PC.

Facebook is so insidious that even if you're pretty careful, it will leak info about you. Originally Posted by GneissGuy
Facebook is notorious about their disinterest in privacy. I have been "warned" that some of my comments about Suckerberg and his attitudes towards privacy were insulting. So I said fuck 'em and I'm gone.
I am curious here....my FB settings are extremely private. My profile doesn't even populate under a search; are you saying that the FB app pulls info from all email accounts I have pushed to my iPhone? Disturbing. Originally Posted by K lovve
Yes. This caused some very serious shit. They've now published a "fix" but only after first saying "hey, it's not a problem". My contacts list stayed the same size, but every time I tried to text or email I'd type in, for instance "dl" and get several dozen names! When there's only one "dl" on my contact list!

We still need a finger "smilie" or at least a bird.