Josh Hamilton

I cannot see any team give him more than four years. When he gets injured the team will be holding the bag. Sure the team will insure the hell out of him to protect itself but a major injury could set a franchise's plan back.
I think that's bullshit. His recent statements indicate he's not cutting the team any slack. It could be negotiations tactics, but if he's just going to cave in and give up his leverage and sell out the union, why bother to negotiate at all? Just take whatever the club offers. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
You may be right. He's looking at what Pujols and Fielder got and he's not the one dimensional player that those guys are....

I dunno, I am convinced that Daniels is going to find a way to keep him here and I don't think it will take $200mm to do it, he's 31 and has missed significant portions of the last three seasons due to injuries. The tone of the entire thing could change tonight or tomorrow or a week from now if he gets hurt again or falls off the wagon and gets caught in a local bar like he did last February. That's always true, but especially so with a player who has his history. He has risks that weren't part of the equation with Pujols, Fielder and Votto.

The Rangers should have offered him 7 years and $140mm during Spring training....bet he would have jumped on it.

I'll say this: if it does take 8 years at $200mm to $225mm to keep him, the Rangers should pay it. What he is doing right now is phenomenal.

Darvish versus the A's tonight. I sure like to watch him pitch.
Tim I just don't see any team giving him 7 or 8 guaranteed years at age 31. My crystal ball says the Rangers best offer will be 5 years at $125 million. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out, but he's just one player.

My big complaint is we don't get consistent production from the 1st base position, since Mark Teixeira left. In my humble opinion that cost us two World Championships.
I cannot see any team give him more than four years. When he gets injured the team will be holding the bag. Sure the team will insure the hell out of him to protect itself but a major injury could set a franchise's plan back. Originally Posted by pyramider
You've got to be crazy. With the new TV money floating around the league, I'd be surprised if somebody doesn't eventually break down and offer him eight years. I predict seven, but I won't be surprised by eight. And I expect the per year to top Pujols and Fielder. Salaries always go up, especially with this much money floating around.
I think that's bullshit. His recent statements indicate he's not cutting the team any slack. It could be negotiations tactics, but if he's just going to cave in and give up his leverage and sell out the union, why bother to negotiate at all? Just take whatever the club offers. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
And yet you were so concise with your understanding of what Cliff Lee did. How could we ever challenge you and your baseball acumen.

Oh wait, you were right about CJ's deal. Wait, no, you weren't.

Selling out the union? Give me a fucking break. Even timpage made excellent points about his baggage and injury history, factors that were not there with Pujols and Fielder. Oh, and no one would give pause after seeing what happens when you sign an older player to a long term deal. How is Pujols and that mendoza line looking these days? At least Fielder is younger, ala A-Roid.
And yet you were so concise with your understanding of what Cliff Lee did. How could we ever challenge you and your baseball acumen.

Oh wait, you were right about Darvish's posting fee already being paid. Wait, no, you weren't.

Selling out the union? Give me a fucking break. Even timpage made excellent points about his baggage and injury history, factors that were not there with Pujols and Fielder. Oh, and no one would give pause after seeing what happens when you sign an older player to a long term deal. How is Pujols and that mendoza line looking these days? At least Fielder is younger, ala A-Roid. Originally Posted by Boltfan
go rangers.
A team would be stupid to give Hamilton a seven or eight year deal. He might last through five years. Plus, the team needs to factor in finding a suitable babysitter, too. Hamilton does not pay for his sitters.
Josh Hamilton is playing like a man amongst boys right now. He makes the game look way too easy. I really hope the Rangers can resign him but I think it's going to take a very creative incentive laden contract. He deserves market value but the Rangers deserve some protection from all his baggage. If I were the Rangers, I would offer Josh an initial four year contract worth 18-20 million a year with a bonus of staying clean and a bonuses of X number of games played. If he gets both bonuses, his annual salary would be around 25 million and he would get an additional option year up to four extra years making it an eight year contract of up to 25 million a year. Allow him to opt out after four years and allow the Rangers to opt out after six years. I think having penalties in a contract is a negative, but having incentives to give him something to strive for is a positive. Maybe I'm just dreaming though.
A team would be stupid to give Hamilton a seven or eight year deal. He might last through five years. Plus, the team needs to factor in finding a suitable babysitter, too. Hamilton does not pay for his sitters. Originally Posted by pyramider
The Rangers offering 5 years means he is gone.....unless it's 5 years at $35mm per. There will be teams that will offer him 6 years at least and, if he can get in 150 games this year and continue playing anywhere near the level he is performing at now, there will be teams that will offer 8 years. Not because he can actually produce at a high level for that much longer, but because players like long-term deals.

Of course, the real question is the money because he's going to go with whoever offers the most....they always do. We've got a lot of good players, but Hamilton is the heart and soul of the team. Keeping him here means a highly competitive team for years to come....the pitching staff is young and as good as any team in the AL. Darvish is an animal. I think Feliz is going to develop into a dominating starter as well, he just needs to settle down and get used to the role. The bullpen is strong. But, we need Hamilton's bat.

I just can't see Jon Daniels letting him get away. Heyguy makes a lot of good points but the Rangers aren't going to control it....the other teams trying to sign him will and they won't toss in incentive clauses, etc.....they're going to offer him a straight up X amount of years for X amount of dollars. It's going to boil down to the Rangers' willingness to match or get close.

Oh wait, you were right about CJ's deal. Wait, no, you weren't.

Selling out the union? Give me a fucking break. Even timpage made excellent points about his baggage and injury history, factors that were not there with Pujols and Fielder. Oh, and no one would give pause after seeing what happens when you sign an older player to a long term deal. How is Pujols and that mendoza line looking these days? At least Fielder is younger, ala A-Roid. Originally Posted by Boltfan
Can we at least keep the discussions on the hallowed topic of baseball civil... without the insults and condescension?

And I always make excellent points, you shitbird.
Can we at least keep the discussions on the hallowed topic of baseball civil... without the insults and condescension?

And I always make excellent points, you shitbird. Originally Posted by timpage
touche mf'er!

I do have to disagree that players take whatever is the most. Cliff Lee didn't. Joe Mauer gave a hometown deal. At the time of his signing he was a stud for a song at his contract figures. Yes Pujols and Fielder took top dollar. Fielder is young, makes sense. Pujols has star power for marketing in Los Angeles. Artie Moreno will likely make back his return even if Pujols sucks from the hispanic population and can better compete with the Dodgers for dominance.

I just think the comments about fucking over the union are ridiculous. Baseball players have earned free agency, which is the power of choice. They are not required to accept the highest bid just to make the union happy.
  • Lanny
  • 05-19-2012, 08:26 PM
He flat out came out and stated that He "Doesnt think We will sign Josh during the Season"...this on the heels of indications that there were some communications between Club and Hamilton's agent...
THIS CAN ONLY MEAN ONE THING...The Two parties are WAY off on what they are offering/willing to talk about....I suspected this...There was most likely a decent difference during this past off season...Obviously Josh wants the $$$ he commands as a premier player, there is no doubt is a TOP 5 Player in League...and just as obviously, The Rangers are hesitant tie a monster contract with player that while wildly talented, also carries the triple risk of:
Frequent Injury Record/Substances Abuse Mishhaps (two in last couple years/ AND perhaps the biggest issue of How much has past substance abuse damaged the long term mileage Josh will enjoy in future....???
It is perhaps the most difficult situation Rangers have EVER faced....Hamiliton has IMMENSE talent, but how long will it last? He Potentially possessing a VERY OLD 31 year old Body...I think 5 years for 140-150 is the Rangers ABSOLUTE ceiling, with the 5th year probably being a club/mutual option (thats how they have done recent deals)...AND I am going to be VERY surprised if another club (Yanks/RedSox) dont offer 6 or 7 years for 200 plus million...and if the numbers get that big...Rangers are out.....
Oh, and no one would give pause after seeing what happens when you sign an older player to a long term deal. How is Pujols and that mendoza line looking these days? At least Fielder is younger, ala A-Roid. Originally Posted by Boltfan
Somebody paid them and they're cashing their checks every week.
I bet they sign him. Other teams are going to be hesitant also due to his past history and potential physical limitations. I can't see him going to NY or LA.
Philly maybe, but they have a lot of over-priced talent there now.
Who knows? There are so many factors involved.
The Texas Rangers will find a way to get it done before the season is over.