Music..now and then..what are your favorite

I don't stay current with music, something I'm actually proud of. I like Jason Isbell's Elephant.

It is so hard to respect music and narrow it down to 5 of anything. I'm trying to learn guitar...seven years in and I can almost find the strings, I'm that crippled...but for every great I think of, ten supremely talented artists come to mind. Then I realize that hacks like KidRock and Beyonce make all the money and a few days later I stop crying.

I've heard, recently, great musicians put forth the proposition that Prince, the Artist formerly known as, is silently one of our times greatest talents. I just want your extra time Frankie.

I love that you put James Brown out there. I can't go to five, but Bob Dylan is one of mine, as an artist. No albums, no bands.

I couldn't pick a 10k maniacs song out of a line-up, but Tigerlily is one of my favorite albums, solo Merchant.

The Grateful Dead wouldn't be one of my bands, but there are a few live recordings of theirs I've listened to consistently for decades. Jerry Garcia artist #2.

John Fogerty #3.

But what about Miles Davis? Reginald Dwight? Linda Ronstadt? Joe Walsh? John Coltrane?

And people flock to NBC over hacks like SeeLow and Adam Levine. Time for a cry. Thanks for sharing. So much good music, so little vinyl.
5 now- Avenged Sevenfold, Five Finger Death Punch, Rev Theory, Volbeat, Linkin Park

5 then- Blue Oyster Cult, Default, Boston, Ace Frehley, Ted Nugent

But, my ALL time Fav Rock Band is Dream Theater (with Mike Portnoy).

Fav Metal band is Rammstein (hope you understand German)

Omg great job! I just got in, can't wait to read these again in the morning!! All very unique and and huge variety here, luv it!

anything form

and many more

mmmm current. ahhhh how about the last new song I liked
My 5 favorite bands/artists I think lol

Jeff beck, blind melon, corrosion of conformity, concrete blonde, james brown..

geez hard to choose...thinks of songs a little later Originally Posted by Frankie Fine
You guys were pretty specific, so re doing mine a bit! I like so many of your choices, I grew up with a large variety of music

Jeff beck favorite song "soul suckin jerk" albums odelay, devil's haircut but that song is not my fav...haven't heard blow by blow ..I need to keep up better thought drluv was making a hooker joke lol..not many mention beck

blind melon album soup just wow to me

corrosion of conformity album blind( might be most fav ever)

Concrete blonde all of it, every album

james brown all of him he rules!
Current songs

1. Black dub- I believe in you
2. John Newman- luv me again, out of my head
3. Die antwoord - babys on fire, cookie thumper, I think your freaky -( this artist is nuts!!)
4. Iggy azalea-fancy, work
5.foster the people -pumped up kicks acoustic

I love acoustic music big time. Chris Cornell -billy jean acoustic, everlast acoustic

I will have to think on old favs..this is really hard lol

I am going to take some time and listen to a lot of what you guys listed, some I haven't heard even which surprises me...I will report back

Keep em coming I love music...no need to be shy I like almost all styles
You guys were pretty specific, so re doing mine a bit! I like so many of your choices, I grew up with a large variety of music

Jeff beck favorite song "soul suckin jerk" albums odelay, devil's haircut but that song is not my fav...haven't heard blow by blow ..I need to keep up better thought drluv was making a hooker joke lol..not many mention beck

blind melon album soup just wow to me

corrosion of conformity album blind( might be most fav ever)

Concrete blonde all of it, every album

james brown all of him he rules! Originally Posted by Frankie Fine
" soul suckin' jerk"is that some kind of hooker joke, Frankie? I think you're confusing Beck with Jeff beck. Jeff Beck is a blues rock guitarist from England that started in the 60"s with the Yardbirds, Beck is the Hipster,scientolgist(I believe) from LA. It's his Odelay album you referenced. Jeff Beck's " blow by blow" is a 70's classic and you should listen to it, you might like it.
Since you pegged me as a "hippie Guy" way back when I last saw you and you're Canadian, how about Gordon Lightfoot, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Leonard Cohen or Scott Merritt? Do any of those float your boat?
Frankie, from Blow by Blow, best cut on the album, a classic:

Current songs

I love acoustic music big time. Chris Cornell -billy jean acoustic
Keep em coming I love music...no need to be shy I like almost all styles Originally Posted by Frankie Fine
I saw Chris Cornell recently at UB center for the performing arts. He was Acoustic played everything from solo stuff to Soundgarden, Temple of the dog. it was awesome, love his voice
Five favorite bands --
10,000 Maniacs, Green Day, Weezer, Pearl Jam, Cranberries. Originally Posted by Paulwantsya
Ahhh good taste! I luv all of those..10,000 maniacs amazing Originally Posted by Frankie Fine
10,000 Maniacs was a great pop band. I enjoy the melodic guitar playing of Rob Buck and the tones he created by occasionally using some eclectic equipment. The key to some of Buck’s signature sounds was his choice of gear as he would sometimes use inexpensive Danelectro guitars and effects pedals.

Throughout the late 1940s and into the very early ‘70s, Danelectro produced amplifiers and guitars for Sears Roebuck and Company, and Montgomery Ward. These guitars and amplifiers were branded not with the Danelectro name, but with the names of the various store brands, such as Sears Silvertone. (Damn. I’m old enough to vaguely remember them in the Sears store!)

Because of production cost concessions to keep retail prices low and, as a result of this, equipment limitations, these guitars, amps, and the few effects pedals that existed back then had a very unique low-fi tone that’s still coveted today by many players who could obviously afford top-of-the-mark gear.

Buck's guitar style seemed effortless but complex. He played with a mixture of harmonic texture and melody. His guitar parts just seem to float over the songs. He blended in perfectly with the band’s music. His chiming guitar sound was a key element.

I'm sorry, I'm so nerdy when it comes to music!

In 1993 Natalie Merchant announced she was leaving the band to go on to a solo career. This move didn’t bode well for either Merchant or 10,000 Maniacs.

In a very real sense Merchant and the Maniacs needed each other.

Here's one of my favorite videos: A great production of sight, sound and ideas. Natalie Merchant has great presence -- elegance and cuteness. Watch her spit the food out at mark 2:38!

I also love the end of the video where on the last downbeat Merchant swings the bat.

P.S. to Frankie. Rob Buck's got a pretty good golf swing displayed near the beginning of the footage!

im a fan of Rush Limbaugh
im a fan of Rush Limbaugh Originally Posted by Franklin4
is that like

errr kidding
10,000 Maniacs was a great pop band.
In 1993 Natalie Merchant announced she was leaving the band to go on to a solo career. This move didn’t bode well for either Merchant or 10,000 Maniacs.

In a very real sense Merchant and the Maniacs needed each other.

My opinion... and it's somewhat informed.... is that Natalie needed a short creative break from the Maniacs... she didn't want to do art by committee anymore.... and she released Tigerlily shortly after leaving. It was a masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.... but she should have toured with that for a year or so and then rejoined the Maniacs....
I lost a lot of brain cells from those years... but I know she did one or two years on the Lilith Fair circuit... and then I wish she'd have returned to the Maniacs....

Which reminds me that I left Sara McGlaughlin off my list.....

Here's one of my favorite videos: A great production of sight, sound and ideas. Natalie Merchant has great presence -- elegance and cuteness. Watch her spit the food out at mark 2:38!

Originally Posted by The Drummer
I love a girl who spits like a guy!!!
I went out with this girl after I got divorced.
She loved going to the Continental and The Icon....(me too).
She dressed in short shorts or mini skirts and army boots -- fuckin hot as hell. (Think Delta Sonic in August)
She could spit with the best of 'em......
Ohhh... the stories I could tell about THAT one.....
I've heard of the Icon, but before my time. Pretty slimy place?
I lost a lot of brain cells from those years... but I know she did one or two years on the Lilith Fair circuit... and then I wish she'd have returned to the Maniacs....

Which reminds me that I left Sara McGlaughlin off my list.....
Originally Posted by Paulwantsya
“Yo Paulie”,

Can we throw Joan Osborne into the mix of Lilith Fair performers? (Pop, Soul, R&B, Blues and Country.)

I love the soulful conviction apparent in her rendition of Jimmy Ruffin’s, “What Becomes of the Broken Hearted”. (“Standing in the Shadows of Motown” with The Funk Brothers.)