What's wrong with South of Dallas

Well gee...I've lived here for 27 years and never a break-in, holdup, car theft, vandalism, robbery, fight, property tagged...lucky, I guess. And i go to the Southwest Center Mall (formerly Red Bird Mall) quite often to Sears or Macy's. And I'm a white dude.
Well gee...I've lived here for 27 years and never a break-in, holdup, car theft, vandalism, robbery, fight, property tagged...lucky, I guess. And i go to the Southwest Center Mall (formerly Red Bird Mall) quite often to Sears or Macy's. And I'm a white dude. Originally Posted by Prolongus
I had family that lived there for years. My preppy little friends in Arlington would cringe when I told them I was going to Oak Cliff (dun, dun, duuuunnnn) to visit family. I was a petite, white chick who blasted her music with the windows rolled down and never had any problems at all. Maybe we're just both lucky!
Grew up in the OC, some of my favorite ethic restaurants are there and I dig the Bishop Arts area. A lot of people I went to school with are moving back. Still want to watch yourself, after all it is still the 'hood.
  • jmcqd
  • 02-16-2011, 07:28 AM
Well, I guess based on perceptions, and some reality, the area between me (South-South Dallas) and South Dallas could scare off some people...Not being originally from around here, I had no idea...
  • Stag
  • 02-16-2011, 09:32 AM
I have had offices both north (both Downtown and Uptown) and south (North Oak Cliff or, as they like to say, "Real Oak Cliff") of the Trinity. The only times I have ever been a victim of a crime or a criminal attempt have been north of the Trinity. (Two car break-ins, one mugging, and one attempted mugging that was thwarted by building security.) Oak Cliff itself (bounded on the north by either the river or by I-30 and on the south by roughly Illinois Ave.) is a very diverse neighborhood, with a pretty fair amount of lower-socioeconomic housing, and a LOT of very nice older, stately and beautiful homes. Because I do a lot of charitable work in the OC, I can testify that no place in Oak Cliff gives me (a puny but wealthy-enough white guy) nearly as big a case of the creeps after sunset as any of the "hobby-friendly playgrounds" north of downtown. (And I do like those playgrounds enough to risk it.)

And from personal experience, you're a LOT safer in Bishop Arts (near Bishop and Davis) than Deep Ellum. Just sayin'.

I understand the reputation problems associated with an area that was devastated by segregation and then white flight in the middle of the last century. But it's just silly to make the broad generalizations that still seem popular in DFW.
and went to South Oak Cliff H.S back in the early 60's. The perception of the media is that anything south of I-30 is called "South Dallas", and that covers a lot of area with many different socio-economic levels and from junk frame houses around Fair Park and East Oak Cliff to Kessler Park by Methodist Hospital. The area south of I-30 failed to grow like the areas north was due to a lack of alcohol and neighborhood services, although that is changing. I,too, feel Miss O'Learys cow would do a lot for most of the area east of I-35. The Trinity River is also a barrier to development.
If you want to see a very affluent area of Oak Cliff take I-35 south to Colorado Blvd. exit. Stay on Colorado. Drive past Methodist Hosp. a couple of blocks and turn right. Drive around for awhile. Nice, huh? That's Kessler Park.
If you are looking for high-dollar homes in Duncanville then drive south on Hwy-67 and take the Danieldale exit. Turn right and go past the railroad tracks. Look at the homes in Greenbriar Estates and then to the north in Greenway Park. For De Soto, take Cockrell Road south from Hwy-67 and drive about a mile and go past Wintergreen Rd. Those aren't bad either.
Anyway, the areas south of I-30 are as nice as areas north if you know where to go. They just don't have the trendy stuff of the northern part of Dallas. However, there are areas of the north that are experiencing decline now.
I worked in Plano for several years, and saw plenty of crime in that city. I rarely hear victims in Plano refer to that city as a place that should be avoided because they were victims. I think txcwby6 is like these cops shooting people because of one bad experience, or shit that heard that happened to their friends.
MTGThreadNecromancer.jpg
North is where most of the guys have the disposable income to hobby...

I used to keep an incall near Duncanville and Cedar Hill...but there was almost zero interest down that way...

Kept getting requested to be near the galleria...I don't even bother with the South anymore unless I'm seeing a few regulars that prefer outcall
Follow the money.

Tons of affluent middle aged men live in the Frisco/Plano/other generic suburb and work in North Dallas. If that's the convenient locale then providers set up shop there.
Follow the money.

Tons of affluent middle aged men live in the Frisco/Plano/other generic suburb and work in North Dallas. If that's the convenient locale then providers set up shop there. Originally Posted by dbjp101
Exactly...plus we try to make location as convenient as possible as most Hobbyist are sneaking and have limited playtime...

So we're in calling at places that are close to work or home so their excuses can make sense for them without ruining their livlihood
  • harry
  • 06-23-2017, 07:01 PM
I worked in Plano for several years, and saw plenty of crime in that city. I rarely hear victims in Plano refer to that city as a place that should be avoided because they were victims. I think txcwby6 is like these cops shooting people because of one bad experience, or shit that heard that happened to their friends. Originally Posted by ononymouseone
Dude, you really had to dig deep to resurrect this 6 1/2 year old thread!
Dude, you really had to dig deep to resurrect this 6 1/2 year old thread! Originally Posted by harry
I just realized that...he probably did a search for South Dallas...and this came up...
  • BLM69
  • 06-23-2017, 08:00 PM
Dude, you really had to dig deep to resurrect this 6 1/2 year old thread! Originally Posted by harry
I seen that when it was bumped, I was going to see how many people would keep it going lol
I'll keep going to South Dallas, as long as I'm supplied with Midgets!

https://eccie.net/showthread.php?t=1168766