I've been thinking about Mortality - Who do you feel REALLY knows you?

• Mokoa
  • 01-28-2012, 11:43 PM
You are starting worry me a bit lately being so reflective, and with your talk of mortality... of course that does occasionally stare you in the face. Originally Posted by austinkboy
Yep, it is amazing how often the mortality thing gets in your head as you continue to approach the other end of your life span.

When I was a mod, I had to listen to the sad stories of many of the people who had the Real World/Hobby World barrier breached. Sometimes by others. Often by something that seemed very innocuous. Sometimes by someone who thought it didn't matter if people found out.

You would not believe the minor bits of information that people can piece together to find you. Or the bizarre coincidences that get people caught.

Or the stupid things people do that get them caught. Or get themselves caught.

You really do need to start off being very paranoid about keeping RW/HW separate. Then carefully consider when and where you choose to take a risk.

Of course, we're always taking some risk doing the hobby anyway. Life's less fun if you spend it under a rock. Just realize when you are taking a risk, and do it consciously. Don't accidentally hurt one of your friends.

In particular, you should be careful in unusual situations. Don't post something like "JoeBlow had a heart attack today, and is in the hospital recovering well. Pray for him." One of Joe's RW friends might already have suspicions and make the final link in the chain.

If you ARE Joe, consider carefully before you tell someone it's alright to post about your problems.

After one member of our local community died, and their family posted about it, one of our local troublemakers caused her family a lot of grief by digging up personal information. You aren't even safe when you're dead. Originally Posted by GneissGuy
Word!
Yep, it is amazing how often the mortality thing gets in your head as you continue to approach the other end of your life span. Originally Posted by Mokoa
As John Mellencamp sang, "It's a lonely proposition when you realize that there's less days in front of the horse than riding in the back of this cart."