Gossip: Why do we do it?

It is a normal human trait developed through evolution. We are social creatures. There is a reason soap operas are popular. We want to know who is who and what is going on.
I don't profess to understand the need to gossip. I don't do it. I don't like it. And I don't trust anyone who does gossip. My ex-girlfriend thinks I'm extremely abnormal in my lack of interest in other peoples' affairs. But I just don't give a shit and she eventually came to understand that I truly found it distasteful. But I have come to understand that, for reasons that I don't understand, I am indeed in the minority in this regard.
O.K., so if we're not gossiping, then who is? Everyone else? Pistolman, in the middle of DATY? I would think your tongue is far too distracting for coherent thought much less forming more than one word sentences ( Fuck! Damn! Yes!).

w00t! I'm under Steverino! Hmmmm... and VNurse is on top of Steverino... That could only mean that V and I are having a Steverino Sandwich! Woo-hoo!!! Originally Posted by Dharma
I am happy to be the main course...or appetizer...or desert...or whatever for you two.
Dee Dee, I don't consider what you are saying to be gossip...you may HEAR gossip but (depending on how you approach it) if you aren't spreading it and just touching base with the "offendee" to ward off harm then it's not really that bad in my opinion.
I don't know, Dee. I have heard things, about people I care for, that weren't flattering or were just hateful. When that happens, I set the teller straight right there but I do not tell the other person what was said. I believe that if you care about someone you don't tell them things that will only hurt them. What's the point of that?

I see your point and I don't believe that what you're doing is gossip, just a different way of dealing with it.

This is sooo wrong and Soo Fantastic....All at the same time!!

So, somebody started talking about somebody Else's business......While he was Up in your Business "Ahem"?!

Yeah, No. That does not sound...I mean, how would you? Or why would anyone think.. Er.. Who does that?!?!

LOL!!

Look at me....all Gossiping!!

Everybody's Business being talked about while up in someones business doing their business........

HELL YEAH! This is Fun!MORE GOSSIP PLEASE! LOL!!

~Kelly TNT
How do we define gossip? Is it merely talking with someone about another person? Or is it more of a malicious act of speaking negatively about someone or something? We are social creatures and it is normal for us to try to find common ground and connect with one another. Speaking of shared aquaintences and experiences in a positive way is not, IMO, gossip. Just my $1.27 round up for inflation.