Champion Breeds: Bull Mastiff vs. Rhodesian Ridgeback || Akita vs. Siberian Husky

• Trey
  • 09-30-2014, 09:03 AM
Gonna have to beat the shit out of a dog that big to get it to act right.
I have a Rhodesian. He's a gentle beast that takes up half the couch but will try to sit on your lap like a Chihuahua. Loves the ladies and the ladies love him. Tolerant of children although I don't think he likes them too much. He gets that from his owner. Lol! It costs a small fortune to feed him but that's the case with any large breed dog. I have hardwood floors. When the door bell rings, all you hear is an echoing deep bark and nails going every which way as he tries to gain traction to race me to the front door. I had to move a bookcase because he would hit the wood running, slide and smash his ass against it knocking books, trophies and whatever else I had on the shelves to the floor. I thought he'd figure it out and slow his ass down but every damn time..

"ding dong"... Peel out... run, run, run.. oh shit, going too fast to turn the corner... sliiiiiidde... smash.. crash.. keep runnin... first to the front door.. yesssss!.. can't open it so I'll just stand here and bark until someone that can gets here.

I love that dog. 😆 Originally Posted by Mergatroid Skittle
LOL
Thanks to all for your feedback. I will be looking for a gentle giant not easily goaded into an altercation but knows how to finish one if his number is called. A breed that is loyal, protective, but knows how to have fun. I don't want to scare people but I am looking to keep honest people honest.
Gonna have to beat the shit out of a dog that big to get it to act right. Originally Posted by Trey
Ummm not in my house. I love my dogs more than I love most people. No hyperbole. If he won't obey there's obedience school.
Y'all and your big ass dogs. LOL!!!!

They scare the fuck outta me!
For the most part, mean has been bred out of big dogs.
Can you imagine a Bull Mastiff, Saint Bernard or Great Dane with a Chihuahua, Schnauzer or Dachshund attitude?
No reason to be scared of any dog if you learn to think like one.
Give respect; earn respect. Be dominant. Body language and eye contact go a long way.
The exception is the dog that is trained in personal protection.
Even a well trained personal protection dog is not dangerous unless you get stupid. It's the ones that are half ass trained that are dangerous.
Can you imagine a Bull Mastiff, Saint Bernard or Great Dane with a Chihuahua, Schnauzer or Dachshund attitude?
No reason to be scared of any dog if you learn to think like one.
Give respect; earn respect. Be dominant. Body language and eye contact go a long way.
The exception is the dog that is trained in personal protection.
Even a well trained personal protection dog is not dangerous unless you get stupid. It's the ones that are half ass trained that are dangerous. Originally Posted by boardman
I hate when I'm out on a walk with my dogs and a neighbor has dangerous dogs running around. I always walk my dogs on a leash in the community but not if we're in the woods. Once 2 huge Rotts ran from their front door to me and my dogs as we were walking down the street. I keep a police night stick in my hand and I pack heat but keep it in my backpack. I pulled my dogs close and swung the night stick ferociously. The Rotts stayed just on the outside of my swings. I told the home owner he's going to get his dogs killed if he doesn't prevent them from running up to attack people. I would hate to do that but I'm not letting a Rott kill my dogs. I've spent way too much in medical bills for them over the years.
I have a Bull Mastiff and is a gental giant. helped teach my kid to walk and sleeps with her. no aggression at all. Intimidates with sheer size. I had rotts for years and always had problems with food aggression.
Z, a well-bred and trained Dane is a good option as well. You'll need an extra couch if you ever want to sit down though. And a shovel to clean the yard...
Guess it's gotten a little off topic but an old neighbor had a big Boxer that had been personal protections trained by Man's Best Friend. He was a big baby but his owner could turn it off and on with a single command. So he said. He wouldn't do it just for the hell of showing someone but I believed him.
Why?
He, his wife or his daughter walked that dog every day, morning and evening and I never once saw a leash. Other neighborhood dogs would come running up to him and he would just ignore them. If he was told it was ok to play then he would relax and play otherwise he was always on guard and at heel.
As part of the training he received he could take the dog back to MBF on weekends to work on defense commands with someone in a dog proof suit. He went about once a month. That was one of the most confident dogs I've ever seen.
Z, a well-bred and trained Dane is a good option as well. You'll need an extra couch if you ever want to sit down though. And a shovel to clean the yard... Originally Posted by DeepAngler
Lol. Ok so what about stealing food. I bet they can get to anything they want.
^ Poor dog. Lol
Can you imagine a Bull Mastiff, Saint Bernard or Great Dane with a Chihuahua, Schnauzer or Dachshund attitude?. Originally Posted by boardman
Lol! I have a Dachshund as well! That's the fucker you gotta watch out for! He and my Rhodesian were raised together so they're inseparable but when it comes to killing shit, the wiener dog is the king! Possums, raccoons and snakes are 3 animals I have gotten used to seeing dead on my property. I didn't realize that wiener dogs were bred to kill badgers. Those little guys can get aggro real quick! The 1st raccoon he killed was twice his size and I was surprised as hell when I found him with a family of dead possums. Lil monster killed the mother and 3 babies. On the other end of the spectrum, my Rhodesian is a lover not a fighter...

If my big guy had the attitude of lil dude, I'd probably have to worry about the neighbor's livestock.

The bulldog wears his feelings on his shoulder,so when scolded they are like little kids for an hour. Originally Posted by lookn4boobies
^ It is amazing to see these animals act like kids when scolded they really get their feelings hurt and sulk like kids. I used to always joke that one of my dogs was one chromosome away from being a human.

I have a Bull Mastiff and is a gental giant. helped teach my kid to walk and sleeps with her. Originally Posted by peabody

^ Nice story man