Caterwauling About the N-Word

It's interesting to me that when someone disagrees with a person's findings, rather than provide evidence that refutes the findings, they resort to personal attacks.

Roger, you don't know me and I don't know you. You may be capable of independent research and thought, but if so, you usually fail to display any of it on these boards.

Do you agree that hate speech, no matter who it is aimed at, is equally despicable? Or do you think that this one word should be singled out for special treatment? Your opinion of that might be a great post. Continuing to launch person attacks on me aren't.
Originally Posted by Wheretonow
The entire premise of your argument is stupid. No racial slur is socially acceptable. Your motives are clear based on your post history. The only thing that gives your seemingly worthless life meaning are lighting rod posts. You included every slur you could hink of in your post because you're a troll.

There's no purpose or endgame to anything you wrote. You're just trying to be provocative. These aren't personal attacks, they're observations. Don't be such a baby and just own your BS.
You're just trying to be provocative. Originally Posted by Roger.Smith
And it is working, obviously, by your reaction. Remember Newton's 3rd law of motion.

The entire premise of your argument is stupid. No racial slur is socially acceptable. Originally Posted by Roger.Smith
Premise: Logic. a proposition supporting or helping to support a conclusion.
Conclusion: Logic. a proposition concluded or inferred from the premises of an argument.

I suspect that you meant that my conclusion was stupid, but again you gave no data to support your statement.

And we can agree that no racial slur is socially acceptable. My supposition is that "nigger" is treated differently and considered more heinous than other racial slurs by many segments of the population. I don't agree that it should be.
I thought the "N" was going to be No...my bad

The N word or nigga or nigger has a bigger impact due to the unfortunate history of our country. While all racial or discriminatory names or actions all abhorrent, we do not hqve photos of Jews in our country being beat by police, had rules that blacks to the back or separated anything, out front with not hiring, or all.other things that brought about the civil rights movement.

We celebrate (as we should) the ww2 generation for fighting intolerance and hate that Hitler and his Nazi crew spread...but at the same time our country treated its own citizens the exact same way.

So you ask why...that is why
The Racial Slur Database lists more than 100 racial slurs for Blacks (http://www.rsdb.org/race/blacks), many of them more callous and degrading than "nigger". This makes one wonder why there are no efforts to ban all of them as well. This appears to me to be another effort to change behavior by banning free speech, an effort that is almost always doomed to failure.

Another similar effort is the attempt to get the owners of the Washington Redskins to change their team's name. Even if they did so, would the plight of Native-Americans be improved in any way? I have my serious doubts.

Singling out certain groups for special treatment isn't fair to the excluded groups, and fair minded people should resist it.
What the fuck am I reading? Originally Posted by Adrienne Baptiste
Words change meaning also.

I think "Fuck" meant to strike someone originally.

Returning to it's original meaning in the statement "Gonna fuck somebody up"
The Racial Slur Database lists more than 100 racial slurs for Blacks (http://www.rsdb.org/race/blacks), many of them more callous and degrading than "nigger". This makes one wonder why there are no efforts to ban all of them as well. This appears to me to be another effort to change behavior by banning free speech Originally Posted by Wheretonow
there is no "effort" to ban the word nigger.. you cited one example, a resolution (which is not law) to "symbolically" ban the word by the NY city council.. you call that an effort? besides, the other black racial slurs are barely used by comparison, so IF there was a banning effort, it would make sense to focus on the single term that is frequently used.

what appears to be an effort to change behavior by banning free speech? this sentence seems to be random in the context of what was previously said.. when has banning a word changed behavior? I don't think any one, anywhere, at any time in history, banned a word thinking it would change behavior.
In Pulp Fiction, Jules also says "Shit Negro! That's all you had to say!" to Marsellus when talking about The Wolf.

Where does that fall into this?
there is no "effort" to ban the word nigger.
Originally Posted by Chung Tran
http://banthenword.org/mission.htm

http://jeffwinbush.com/2014/02/25/th...ls-n-word-ban/

On his popular show “Pardon the Interruption,” Tony Kornheiser called on the commissioners of the National Football League, the National Basketball Association and Major League Baseball to ban their players from publicly using the word. The ESPN host Skip Bayless went further, calling “nigger” “the most despicable word in the English language — verbal evil” and wishing that it could “die the death it deserves.”

Additionally a number of people (Paula Deen being perhaps the most well-known case) of people being fired for using the n-word, in her case apparently years before.

Perhaps not outright banning, but it'll do until banning comes along.

One should try to avoid using absolutes, because they are so easily repudiated. When you say there is "no effort to ban the word 'nigger'", you're saying that not one of the world's 7.3 billion people is making such an effort. I beg to disagree.
In Pulp Fiction, Jules also says "Shit Negro! That's all you had to say!" to Marsellus when talking about The Wolf.

Where does that fall into this? Originally Posted by corona
There's an excellent article about this: "When is a slur not a slur? The use of nigger in ‘Pulp Fiction’"

Here's a link:

http://users.monash.edu.au/~kallan/papers/NPF.pdf
what appears to be an effort to change behavior by banning free speech? this sentence seems to be random in the context of what was previously said.. when has banning a word changed behavior? I don't think any one, anywhere, at any time in history, banned a word thinking it would change behavior. Originally Posted by Chung Tran

Extracted from a review of the following book:
Jeremy Waldron, The Harm in Hate Speech, Harvard University Press, 2012, 292 pp., 26.95.

Professor Waldron insists that a “sense of security in the space we all inhabit is a public good,” like pretty beaches or clean air, and is so precious that the law should require everyone to maintain it:

Hate speech undermines this public good . . . . It does this not only by intimating discrimination and violence, but by reawakening living nightmares of what this society was like . . . . [I]t creates something like an environmental threat to social peace, a sort of slow-acting poison, accumulating here and there, word by word, so that eventually it becomes harder and less natural for even the good-hearted members of the society to play their part in maintaining this public good.

Professor Waldron tells us that the purpose of “hate speech” is to try to set up a “rival public good” in which it is considered fine to beat up and drive out minorities.

When we talk about politics or religion, we can be as rough as we like, but the “public good” of racial tolerance is different: “It is a recent and fragile achievement in the United States, and the idea that law can be indifferent to published assaults upon this principle seems to me a quite unwarranted extrapolation from what we have found ourselves able to tolerate in the way of political and religious dissent.”

“Diversity” and “inclusiveness” are so wonderful but fragile that maintaining the “dignity” of “vulnerable minorities” (Professor Waldron loves this expression) is a positive obligation not only for government but for individuals. The law should therefore require us to “refrain from acting in a way that is calculated to undermine the dignity of other people.” As Professor Waldron explains:"What is important is that citizens have a public assurance that this is so [that they all be equally accepted], and that this public assurance be provided not just by the government and the laws, but by citizens assuring one another of their willingness to cooperate in the administration of the laws in the humane and trustful enterprise that elementary justice requires."

In 1950, Joseph Beauharnais, president of something called the White Circle League of America, distributed segregationist leaflets in Chicago that said, in part:
"We are not against the negro; we are for the white people, and the white people are entitled to protection. . . . [and should unite]. If persuasion and the need to prevent the white race from being mongrelized by the negro will not unite us, then the aggressions . . . rapes, robberies, knives, guns and marijuana of the negro, SURELY WILL."

The pamphlet did not call for violence, nor did it cause any. Nevertheless, Beauharnais was found guilty under a 1917 Illinois law that forbade any writing that portrayed the “depravity, criminality, unchastity, or lack of virtue of a class of citizens of any race, color, creed, or religion,” and was fined $200. The US Supreme Court upheld the Illinois law in a 5-4 decision. Justice Felix Frankfurter called the pamphlet “criminal libel” against a group.

That was curious reasoning. Beauharnais never said all blacks are rapists and robbers. He may not even have been saying that they were more likely than whites to be rapists or robbers. It sounds to me that he was saying that when blacks rape or rob whites that will unite whites.

Professor Waldron is saying that to have planted the thought in the mind of a “vulnerable minority” that someone doesn’t want him around is as damaging as a physical assault and therefore should be a crime.
I think it really depends on the audience. Each word you mentioned has an effect of some but maybe not others. Then you have to look at how the ones it has an effect on are effected.

I think the N word has an effect on everyone, hence the reason for the different treatment. I think the effect it has is different to each group or person but the effect is still strong.
One should try to avoid using absolutes, because they are so easily repudiated. When you say there is "no effort to ban the word 'nigger'", you're saying that not one of the world's 7.3 billion people is making such an effort. I beg to disagree. Originally Posted by Wheretonow
we can play the going in circles game all day if you want, but when I said there is no effort to ban the word nigger, I'm talking about REAL effort, by recognized organizations who lobby Congress, media outlets, and such.. not Tony Kornheiser or Skip Bayless, I barely know who they are, and they may have just spouted off about banning the word.. but parsing words like you did doesn't promote your position any..
I think Stormfront is missing one of its keyboard warriors. OP, are you lost?
you fucken redneck goat fucking white trailer park trash fucking your own cousin mullet tobacky hillbilly !!! (im white btw)

interesting thread...racial slurs are just the tip of the iceberg though...