Firefox 4.0

They use it because it's free - so far at least. Originally Posted by Mazomaniac
Thank you for that information Mazo. Is hushmail better? I'd be willing to pay if it's more secure.
I prefer firefox. Too many cool addons I rely on.
I think that Google fixed the terms for Chrome.

It used to have a section that said you gave Google a royalty-free license to use anything you displayed in the browser for whatever reason they wanted to use it.

In theory that meant you could pull up yer nekked pics in Chrome and the browser could automatically transmit them back to Google for display on the whole internet.

People jumped on that as soon as it came out and Google pulled back on that term.

Was that what you were talking about Chuck or is there now something else in there? Originally Posted by Mazomaniac
Yep. I remember the TOS when they came out and avoided Chrome like the plague. I still don't trust any Google product. I do use the search engine knowing that they keep track of all searches, and are invasive about it. But I don't think my lame searches amount to much. Also, I delete history, cookies and cache at the end of each session. But, I'd never use GMail. My brother ran a Google blog for while, and it had some nice safety features.

Google has a long and glorious record for invading peoples privacy. In my book, a little speed ain't worth it. Originally Posted by pjorourke
+1

They use it because it's free - so far at least.

PJ's right. Google has pulled some seriously stupid shit when it comes to privacy in the past.

One of the things they got into big trouble trouble for was sharing people's Gmail contacts and social networking info with others without ever bothering to ask if that was OK. A lot of people had their private info dumped to their bosses, family, and others who didn't need to know just because Gmail assumed that anyone you emailed frequently was a friend who'd you like to share that info with. More than few jobs and marriages went a bit sour after that one.

Just two weeks ago they got sued again for privacy violations because Gmail scans every message that comes into your mailbox for key words related to their advertisers. Gmail then targets ads for the related products into your browser. For instance, if I send you a message asking if you're buying a new car you can be pretty sure there's going to be a Volkswagen ad popping up in your browser sometime in the next couple of days.

Some people don't care about this kind of thing. Others go ballistic when they find out. Just depends on your life-view.

Personally I avoid it.

Cheers,
Mazo. Originally Posted by Mazomaniac
I've used Yahoo! for mail. They've had Norton attached to their mail for a long time, and that helps against viruses. Despise their search engine.

@Naomi

I like the new Firefox, and have always liked it as a search engine. It's my primary. I have friends that use PCs that install Safari because it is so hacker, virus, & bug proof.
I love Firefox, but lately some sites have been real slow, such as ECCIE, and on Chrome they are fine. Also Firefox gets memory hungry. I might have to test out Safari.
Some people don't care about this kind of thing.

Personally I avoid it.

Cheers,
Mazo. Originally Posted by Mazomaniac
I'd forgotten about all of this controversy . . . guess I'll stay with FF.

Thanks Mazo and Charles.
I've got both Firefox and Chrome. Frankly, I don't notice much speed difference between the two. I hate windows programs without menus, so I stick to Firefox. I can't figure out what buttons do what in Chrome. Plus, I've got some addons that I use with Firefox and I haven't taken the time to figure out if Chrome has similar functions. Wouldn't know where to look since there aren't any menus and just two damned buttons!!