MAJOR TORNADO HEADED TOWARDS OKC

Thanks, CC.

I live very near the area in discussion. So close in fact, that I spent about 30 minutes in my shelter praying the dumb thing would turn.

I am not aware of any of my hobby friends that had MAJOR damage. But, several that have been touched in some way. This board and specifically the Sandbox area have been one way of monitoring and checking on those that I care about.

Having said that, I also love the avatar. Can you send her this way to help with some 'relief' efforts?

HSP Originally Posted by hsphotog
check the Oklahoma forum, I think I read one of the providers lived in Moore
I am aware of a few friends that live or play in the Moore area. I'm not aware of any that had MAJOR damage. Doesn't mean they didn't - I just didn't see it initially, I'm not aware of it through PMs or emails, and I'm not finding it after doing a quick search this evening.

The real point of my post was to thank CC for defending the validity of this particular forum. I'm sure I'm no different than nearly everyone on the board - 98% of the time I come here for hobby related information. But, sometimes it is nice to take a break and talk about something else.

Now -- I have a feeling that both of my posts may be viewed as more confrontational than they are really intended. The original post just touched a nerve on an open and fresh wound (is that spelled right??). Thanks again CC. Mods are often underappreciated and I appreciated CCs response.
Damn, is a bummer. I was watching earlier him on Friday afternoon on CNN when he was chasing them.

Long time storm chaser Tim Samaras and crew were caught and lost their lives in the storm. Originally Posted by i'va biggen
If looks like it was another F5 tornado. Winds are estimated (not measured) to be around 295 mph. If true, that makes it the second strongest storm on record.

Here are some gruesome details of the deaths of the three storm chasers:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...J2utxcEbeZefDJ

Key quote:
--------------------------------------
“Because of the circumstances on the two-lane road, it appears that he could not get out of the way, and, basically, the tornado picked up his vehicle,” Jim Samaras told the “Today” show.
The tornado then hurled the light Chevy Cobalt to the ground, leaving it looking as though it had been rammed through a trash compactor, police said.
Tim Samaras, 55, was found dead still belted into the mangled wreck, while the bodies of his son, 24, and Young, 45, were flung a quarter-mile away— in opposite directions.
Their car was found upright in a ditch with its wheels blown off and the engine a quarter-mile away.
------------------------------------

Absolutely awful. Here is a picture of what was left of the vehicle:

I was there and saw it all happen i wish i could say who i was with but it would give me up, lets just say it was one wild ride in the well if i tell but i cant
If looks like it was another F5 tornado. Winds are estimated (not measured) to be around 295 mph. If true, that makes it the second strongest storm on record.

Here are some gruesome details of the deaths of the three storm chasers:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...J2utxcEbeZefDJ

Key quote:
--------------------------------------
“Because of the circumstances on the two-lane road, it appears that he could not get out of the way, and, basically, the tornado picked up his vehicle,” Jim Samaras told the “Today” show.
The tornado then hurled the light Chevy Cobalt to the ground, leaving it looking as though it had been rammed through a trash compactor, police said.
Tim Samaras, 55, was found dead still belted into the mangled wreck, while the bodies of his son, 24, and Young, 45, were flung a quarter-mile away— in opposite directions.
Their car was found upright in a ditch with its wheels blown off and the engine a quarter-mile away.
------------------------------------

Absolutely awful. Here is a picture of what was left of the vehicle:

Originally Posted by ExNYer
they are now saying it was larger than the Moore tornado, 2.6 miles wide and yes 295 mph winds

18 dead but a lot of the deaths came from flooding. People were hiding in storm drains but then 6 inches came down