Chiefs' Matt Cassel 'destined to be released soon'

Well the Chiefs could trade down....get the fifteenth pick and an extra fifth round pick or something like that. I still think the won't even go for Smith though. Originally Posted by lacrew_2000
Nobody's going to pay to move up to number 1 in this draft IMO.
I don't like the idea of spending first round money on Geno Smith. The Chiefs will probably trade their draft pick or get the offensive lineman from Alabama....Warmack. Then they'll get a free agent as QB....maybe Alex Smith. I wish their were a franchise quarterback for the Chiefs to snatch up..but there isn't.

For context...I currently see Smith ranked as the fifteenth best prospect. Why would the Chiefs use a no. 1 pick on a no. 15 prospect? It makes no sense, even if you need a QB. Originally Posted by lacrew_2000
i think they will regret not taking Geno Smith if that's what happens
From what I understand they are trading the #1 pick for San Frans pick and Alex Smith, there may be additional picks but it has not been annouced. They feel that there are several quality QB's including Geno Smith that can be picked up with the San Fran pick.
um... that's not going to happen. they would be giving up the 1st pick for an average QB in Alex Smith + the 31st pick in the draft? even with additional picks that would be a terrible trade.

lets hope their not that desperate
I don't have a clue who they will pick with the No 1....but no way do they drop to #31 and give up #1 for Smith...regardless of add'l picks

Am I the only one who is suspicious about this "annouced trade" by Frisco, 2 weeks prior to the trading date????

IMO, Frisco is playing mind games with the Chiefs/whoever to sweeten the deal up. Otherwise, what would motivate a team to make such an annoucement 2 weeks ahead of time????

I don't think Smith's salary cap hit has anything to do with the timing of this rumor

This will be an interesting test to see if Arrowhead One is now making football choices, rather than money saving choices
um... that's not going to happen. they would be giving up the 1st pick for an average QB in Alex Smith + the 31st pick in the draft? even with additional picks that would be a terrible trade.

lets hope their not that desperate Originally Posted by JCM800
Well I guess time will tell, this is not what I think will happen, its what news sources have stated.
Thought the 49ers released him. Bad thing his numbers aren't as good as Matt's
The cheifs have traded for Alex Smith, they will give up a second round pick in 2013 and a second round pick in 2014. Look for them to trade down to the mid 1st round and try to get the second round back or an additional 3rd round. They can still get some line help and secondary help in this position.
Jay Glazer of Fox Sports is reporting the deal for Alex Smith to the Chiefs is a done deal. The 49ers will receive the Chiefs' 2013 second round pick and a conditional 2014 pick. NFL Network is reporting this on their "Breaking News" line. Speculation is that the Chiefs will select Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M, with the first overall pick.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/s...-chiefs-022713
I've thought about this some more, and one of the local media had a comparison of Alex Smith's numbers to Cassel's, and there wasn't a lot of difference! In my finite wisdom of NFL player stock, trade value, cap consequences, etc., I think a 2nd in 2013 and 2014 is way too much to be giving away. I'm still hoping they'll snag G Smith, but it looks more likely now that they'll go for that left tackle everyone's been mentioning. Oh well....